GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Plastic Door Trim Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-05, 03:58 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by noop
the color match is great!

and for the install... I havent done mine yet but, it looks like you have to take the door panels off to get to the screws, I think there are 3 or 4 screws

That is great news Noop. Your GS is alpine silver correct?
Old 09-16-05, 10:13 AM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not as easy as peel and stick....

The inside panel of the door needs to be taken apart....then well..the plastic insulation barrier to get access to the lower half of door panel screws has to be cut open..once those are taken away.....you have to pop the clips and some of those naturally break inside of the door chamber of course. i would order some of those....then you can get access to those little screws...wait maybe they were rivets.....its been so long i forgot.....

Wait a minute......the third gen doesnt have this problem....
Old 09-17-05, 02:28 PM
ARISTO*7
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just did mine today. this diy takes about 10-15 minutes. open the door and at the bottom on the inside of the panel there should be 2 black 10mm nuts. remove those and pop out the bottom part of the door panel. now there is 5 phillips screws. removes those screws and you can pull the plastic piece out. slide the new one in and youre done. you can remove the whole lower door panel but you risk breaking the clips and there is double sided tape. hope this helps you guys

Last edited by ARISTO*7; 09-17-05 at 04:16 PM.
Old 09-17-05, 02:51 PM
GSXLEX
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Another Alpined Silvefr for Carsons..Will order Monday!!
Old 09-17-05, 03:33 PM
noop
Instructor

Originally Posted by ARISTO*7
just did mine today. this diy takes about 10-15 minutes. open the door and that the bottom on the inside of the panel should be 2 black 10mm nuts. remove those and pop out the bottom part of the door panel. now there is 5 phillips screws. removes those screws and you can pull the plastic piece out. slide the new one in and youre done. you can remove the whole lower door panel but you risk breaking the clips and there is double sided tape. hope this helps you guys
Thanks for the install directions
Old 09-19-05, 07:27 AM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

which side of the door is the 5 phillips screws on? i got the 2 10mm nuts off and then i tried to pull the outer lower plastic panel off from the bottom edge but it wouldn't budge
Old 09-19-05, 07:29 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ARISTO*7
just did mine today. this diy takes about 10-15 minutes. open the door and at the bottom on the inside of the panel there should be 2 black 10mm nuts. remove those and pop out the bottom part of the door panel. now there is 5 phillips screws. removes those screws and you can pull the plastic piece out. slide the new one in and youre done. you can remove the whole lower door panel but you risk breaking the clips and there is double sided tape. hope this helps you guys

Great instructions
Old 09-19-05, 08:29 AM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

I had the dealer take care of both side last year. They comped it all.
Old 09-19-05, 08:43 AM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by noop
If so, I ordered both sides, from Carsons Toyota around 4 months ago
22.00$ each side,
Part #'s

75735A front passenger Door

75736A Driver's Door.

They also come painted to match your car... although I havent had a chance to install them on my car yet...
ne1 have luck with these part numbers? i tried using them on the park place lexus order website and the numbers are invalid
Old 09-19-05, 09:02 AM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjamin T
ne1 have luck with these part numbers? i tried using them on the park place lexus order website and the numbers are invalid

JUST CALL DARRELL ON THE PHONE FROM SEWELL. he will be more than happy to assist. great guy. just call on the phone instead of bothering with internet part numbers that youll never end up matching. give him the numbers over the phone and hell find the right ones for your car. look up his phone number on lexus-parts.com
Old 09-19-05, 09:08 AM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

not having much luck with darrel right now... i have a bunch of stuff sitting at home that was sent incorrectly by him that i've been trying to resolve for awhile now.

damn... so many issues with our gs right now
Old 09-19-05, 09:55 AM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not having much luck with darrel right now... i have a bunch of stuff sitting at home that was sent incorrectly by him that i've been trying to resolve for awhile now.

damn... so many issues with our gs right now

trying to resolve? i dont mean to pry but if the wrong parts were sent, and the invoice shows what you were supposed to get or you have the order form of parts that you ordered correctly, i see no reason why you couldnt get the stuff returned or replaced. sewell isnt some shady back street parts dealer, they're LEXUS, and darrell is a mad helpful guy just busy as hell from what i gather.
Old 09-19-05, 09:56 AM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

which side of the door is the 5 phillips screws on? i got the 2 10mm nuts off and then i tried to pull the outer lower plastic panel off from the bottom edge but it wouldn't budge
The screws are not on the door from what i recall....the screws hold the plastic trim to the plastic outer lower half of the door. Does that make sense?

I believe it wont budge because there are screws on the inside of the door as well....plus clips....

Good luck!
Old 09-19-05, 10:02 AM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by upstateGS4
trying to resolve? i dont mean to pry but if the wrong parts were sent, and the invoice shows what you were supposed to get or you have the order form of parts that you ordered correctly, i see no reason why you couldnt get the stuff returned or replaced. sewell isnt some shady back street parts dealer, they're LEXUS, and darrell is a mad helpful guy just busy as hell from what i gather.
i never said i had problems with darrel, who is trying to help, but a massive shipping company snafu keeps screwing things up beyond belief. one shipment was lost, and another sent in error, and i'm still trying to sort things out. it's been ongoing for 2 months now i don't want to complicate things further with another order.
Old 09-19-05, 10:05 AM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GS4fun
The screws are not on the door from what i recall....the screws hold the plastic trim to the plastic outer lower half of the door. Does that make sense?

I believe it wont budge because there are screws on the inside of the door as well....plus clips....

Good luck!
i think i figured it out... was out in the parking lot with a coworker and it appears someone added an extra layer of double sided tape to the panel. the car had been repainted prior to us buying it so i suspect a bodyshop did this.

Quick Reply: Plastic Door Trim Problem