GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

A crappy TTE Lip install

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-05, 01:09 PM
davezaristo
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A crappy TTE Lip install

So I got my car back and TOTALLY disappointed with the install...the guy at the bodyshop told me thats the best he can do and we even got into an argument...anyhow, if you are in north cal, stay away from Technics Auto Body in San Bruno as they have no idea on what they are doing...anyway, pls check out the pics and if anyone can give me some recommendations on how to fix it, that would be awesome..thanks!

Old 09-15-05, 01:25 PM
aznxguy714
Pole Position

wow that's the best they can do. the passenger side isn't even flush like the drivers side in the first pic and that gap. that's horrible!!! don't do business with that place anymore.
Old 09-15-05, 01:27 PM
BmoreGS4
Pole Position

I wouldnt have paid if i wasnt satisifed and obviously your not I feel for you man...Do you know how they installed it and what actually went wrong...I am getting a TTE and wanna know what to tell the shop or better yet tell them not to do...
Old 09-15-05, 01:33 PM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow sorry to hear that ...hopefully you'll be able to fix it

Good luck
Old 09-15-05, 01:34 PM
49GS400
Lead Lap

Thats an ugly job. Try International Autobody in San Bruno thats where a lot of us CL and .Net member get work done. Give them a call (650) 871-5453.
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

That is pretty bad. Not only did they not fit the piece to the bumper, but the color match is pretty bad too. I would take it back to the body shop and demand they repaint and refit the lip.
davezaristo
Lead Lap

I have no idea what went wrong as I just couldn't believe how IT COULD GO WRONG based on other installs I saw. I think it looks really terrible especially when my car is white and the glue is black. Anyhow, the guy won't give me my key unless i paid him something so I had to pay him $100 altogether (he painted a RMM grill also and that came out fine). Man, this is a terrible and painful experience i must say.....I am not thinking whether i should paint the entire bumper and get the lip molded instead...so if anyone can suggest the most cost effective way to fix this mess, that would be appreciated...
Old 09-15-05, 01:40 PM
BmoreGS4
Pole Position

Thats extortion if you are not satisfied with a service you do not have to pay! (understood the grille was nice but the lip...) Molded TTE look the best but I have no idea on how that will affect your pockets...
Old 09-15-05, 01:45 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Sorry to hear and see that man.
Isn't there anything you can do?
Old 09-15-05, 01:57 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by davezaristo
I have no idea what went wrong as I just couldn't believe how IT COULD GO WRONG based on other installs I saw. I think it looks really terrible especially when my car is white and the glue is black. Anyhow, the guy won't give me my key unless i paid him something so I had to pay him $100 altogether (he painted a RMM grill also and that came out fine). Man, this is a terrible and painful experience i must say.....I am not thinking whether i should paint the entire bumper and get the lip molded instead...so if anyone can suggest the most cost effective way to fix this mess, that would be appreciated...

Please say you paid by Credit card?? If so, call them NOW and refuse the charge, that way it will go to dispute.

If was withholding my key, I woul dhave been on the phone to the PO-PO right then and there!!! F that man, shop's gonna do crap work and then demand payment for it?? UH-UH. That guyu needed to get knocked the F out, but that wouldn't have solved anything.
Old 09-15-05, 03:16 PM
alredxiii
Lexus Champion

Man...Murphy's Law, anything that can go wrong, will go wrong....that's a terrible job on that....it looks like they didn't even put any tape or glue on the sides.

Hope everything goes ok man
Old 09-15-05, 03:26 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks ok to me

sorry man but take the advice of the the local CL guys
Old 09-15-05, 03:33 PM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

yeah man.. that TTE lip was done very poorly...

take the advice of the other CL members and get this thing over with the shop... makes sure you get your money back or something...

but if you really can't live with the install... GET IT MOLDED AND REPAINTED

it'll look so hot !
Old 09-15-05, 04:24 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow...thats a pretty crappy job....remember, even if you hear or seen good things from a shop...its never the same guy that does it. Obviously, the guy who did this job was a newb.

All in all, if you paid $100 for a painted grill and lip....that's an awesome price already. That install was worth nothing. I suspect he didn't use all the glue, didn't use enuff tape, and didn't clean up the edges of the excess glue.

Did he install the screws?

Pete
Old 09-15-05, 04:30 PM
ARISTO*7
Lexus Champion

i also had a really crappy job on my tte lip. i wouldnt pay the shop that did it . we eventually came to an agreement. i would pay a little extra and get it molded and repainted.

Quick Reply: A crappy TTE Lip install