GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Rough couple days for the GS

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-05, 08:52 AM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Unhappy Rough couple days for the GS

well, i guess its bound to happen since my car is my daily driver, but i already scuffed up my new paint job REALLY bad in 2 spots (1 front and 1 back) both happened on seperate occasions, and its just sucks since i have to get them redone i guess you can say it was my fault, so im gonna have to deal with it anyway, since i know everyone here loves pics, here ya go

FRONT BUMPER:

REAR BUMPER:

i guess it could have been worse. but it sucks i still have to get BOTH bumpers reapinted
Old 09-16-05, 08:55 AM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 250 Posts

Sympathies. The back's not so bad, can probably be masked with touchup paint. The front, though: ouch.
Old 09-16-05, 09:01 AM
bmgs400
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know how ya feel man. It was bound to happen to me too since I have 2 young kids w/bikes they like to leave behind my car. You guessed it, last weekend I was in a hurry to take my 10 yr old to the Exorcism of Marry Rose movie he was beggin to see and forgot to check for bikes behind my car. Backing out I heard a thump and felt the car drag something. Luckily I didn't smash my sons bike, but the kickstand put a nasty small dent in my rear bumper...on the lowest part so it's not too noticeable, but it almost punctured the bumper. A scuff was left when I pulled forward and the kickstand spang upward across the bumper.
Old 09-16-05, 09:07 AM
GeorgeGS4
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

That hurts, especially since it was just resprayed...

how'd it happen?
Old 09-16-05, 09:10 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bmgs400
last weekend I was in a hurry to take my 10 yr old to the Exorcism of Marry Rose movie he was beggin to see
Sorry to hear about the bumper but I am actually more about this statement.
Old 09-16-05, 09:12 AM
Lexis11
Lexus Champion

Damn Mo that sux, I understand your frustration bro, it has happened to me as well. Hope you get it cleaned up soon bro. Hit my cell!
Old 09-16-05, 10:01 AM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I feel your pain...

You know you're an addict when your bodyshop knows you by first name basis.
Old 09-16-05, 10:11 AM
QuikLex
Pole Position

Whoever sprayed that front bumper didn't do the best of prep work. Looks like the paint just fell off. Some adhesion promoter would have prevented that. Well...the scratches would still be there... Anyway...I sympathize with you....scratched my front bumper on a concrete thing in a parking lot the other day.
Old 09-16-05, 10:19 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by QuikLex
Whoever sprayed that front bumper didn't do the best of prep work. Looks like the paint just fell off.
I agree. Paint scuffing is one thing but it should not come off in a sheet like that.
Old 09-16-05, 10:24 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Neo
I agree. Paint scuffing is one thing but it should not come off in a sheet like that.
yeah that's what i noticed as well. it's like those paint just completely peel off. unless your paint hasn't even fully dried up yet, that's sub par prep work. just imagine if you get rock chips or so, you will see the paint peeling as well!
Old 09-16-05, 10:34 AM
markgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Neo
Sorry to hear about the bumper but I am actually more about this statement.
I was thinking the same thing!! haha!

Sorry about your misfortune, but yes, with those of use that use our cars as daily drivers, nicks and scratches are bound to happen regardless of how careful we try to be. Hope you're able to get it fixed soon.
Old 09-16-05, 10:37 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by QuikLex
Whoever sprayed that front bumper didn't do the best of prep work. Looks like the paint just fell off. .

That is exactly what I thought when I looked at it. Since you are going to be repainting anyway you should see if the paint scrapes off like that anywhere else. It looks like you can just peel it away. That is not a good job and they should redo this at no cost to you. What else did they paint for you? I would be worried that this can happen to anything else that was repainted
Old 09-16-05, 12:48 PM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks for the kind words guys, they help (a little)

hmmm... im in no way, shape or form familiar with body work, so im not tooo sure what everyone means by it not being a great prep job. can someone elaborate for me so i can figure out what i need to do. i was not too happy of how the paint peeled like that, but i thought that since it was an aftermarket bumper and not factory, thats how the paint was any help is appreciated.
Old 09-16-05, 12:54 PM
QuikLex
Pole Position

On any flexible body panel (plastic, urethane, fiberglass) an adhesion promoter should be used. This will help the paint "stick" to the surface. Otherwise, when ever the panel is bent, hit, moved, the paint will have a tendancy to just peel off...as in your case. There is also a chance that the paint was not applied correctly. Had it been, if you just hit something, you would have had scratches...not paint falling off and bubbling. I would go back to the body shop and see if they'll work with you to repaint the pieces.
Old 09-16-05, 12:55 PM
QuikLex
Pole Position

Now that I look at the pics again, it also looks like they did not use any sort of primer...I assume the kit came black since you can see black where the paint fell off. This looks like very substandard paint work.

Quick Reply: Rough couple days for the GS