GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Newbie questions...

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-01 | 06:52 PM
his_eminence
Rookie

I finally sold my old beater of a car (extra cash...whoo hoo) and am considering having a LoJack system installed? I'm just curious if anyone has one, if they feel it's worth it, and if anyone has ever had to have it used (knock on the wood trim in my beautiful car).

Second, and I know this is a matter of personal taste, but I need some help with rims. I want to go either 18" or 19" (most likely 18's) but I'm not sure what to get. I like 5 spoke designs, and I want chrome, but I can't find any that are either in my price range, or fit to be on a GS. I'd like to spend about $2500 on a package (tires and rims). Does anyone have any suggestions?

Lastly, does anyone have an L-Sportline body kit with an exhaust upgrade? I'm curious about exhaust fits and things of that nature.

Thanks.
Chris
Old 07-13-01 | 10:04 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Hey Chris,

LoJack system has never cross my mind thru out years of owning lexuses. nowdays, if some punks want your car, they ususally just tow away w/flat bed truck. in a way, this is good because i opt for the best insurance, and the policy would just compensate me. i do not like to recover an vehicle that has been driven by some morons.

the best quality, and clean 5-spoke that i know is called WORK EQUIP from japan. they come in so many diff finish it is like semi-custom. let me be straight w/you. any good quality name brand original design rims in 19's would cost you $28-3500, w/no tyres. one fo our japanese parts supplier. HIRO here in LA has some in 18/19. he might be able to set you up on the 18s+tyers in your budget~$2700. and we talknig good japanese rims, not soem cheezy knock-offs.

try this

store.yahoo.com/lexusparts

but if 19s are your flavor, which i completely understand, they looked awesome, then a little more saving would help. sure you might have some sales guy try to sell you some tasteless nothing but copy-cat stuff. but prsonally, i would not put them on lexus. IMHO, those belong to desperate ricer owners.

WEI aka gsintensive, has the l-sportline kit w/exhaust. it looked awesome and sounds amazing.

william
Old 07-13-01 | 10:06 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Chris,

i forgot one thing. if you like any of the wheels in the store yahoo site, let me know because i am trying to talk to HIRO on some parts for my car. maybe he would cut us a deal if we order together.

thanks

william
Old 07-14-01 | 01:25 AM
kobiejohn
Rookie

I am not sure every feature the lojack has but the one thing that I think limits it is it only works in specific cities.

It is not out yet but should be in about a month. DEI (maker of viper, python, sidewinder, etc.) has a sys. coming out which will work anywhere via. GPS.

You can lock/unlock and find your cars whereabouts at anytime. If you let someone use your car you can put a geo. fence around it and if it ventures out of this area they will notify you. If want to find out were the kids have been it will leave a bread crumb trail on the map. Go to www.car-com.net to get a idea on the sys. Hope this helps
Old 07-14-01 | 01:33 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

i'm not sure but you MIGHT BE able to get a set of 18 inch VolkRacing wheels with tires. VolkRacing is one of the best wheel manufacturers in Japan. www.volkracing.co.jp you can check out that website. If the wheel is not a special order item in the USA you could be able to get them around 2500 with tires. For example I got quoted 2500 for 18 inch TE37s with tires like a year ago. Discount Tire Center. Or was it less I don't remember but yeah like GS4Will said DON'T GET SOME CHEESY WHEELS!!

Old 07-14-01 | 02:38 AM
Kaban
Lead Lap

Will,

Do you have any info on the Zauber SPOKE, if they have a web page? I think I might have found something I like more than the Carlssons.

Also if you don't mind, when you talk to Hiro about your parts, could you get the quotes from him for the above rims in 18x8, 18x9.5, silver. If Hiro can give me a more reasonable price, then I will order it with you.

Just PM me whenever you like, thanks.
Old 07-14-01 | 11:48 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Kaban,

i forgot which website i saw the zaubers. but they are also made in japan by one of the big, well known big four wheel mfg. Hiro only carries nice goods, and nice to deal with.

any news i will let you know via PM. thanks for the response.

william
Old 07-14-01 | 07:11 PM
gs4power
Driver

Originally posted by GlobeCLK
For example I got quoted 2500 for 18 inch TE37s with tires like a year ago.
Wow that's a good price, where did you get that price quote Globe? I paid ~ $2300 for the TE37s w/o tires from GTA.
Old 07-15-01 | 01:10 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by gs4power

Wow that's a good price, where did you get that price quote Globe? I paid ~ $2300 for the TE37s w/o tires from GTA.
that was from Discount Tire Center in El Monte. But I could be wrong, afterall it's been a year and I don't recall exactly the price, but it's around that range.
Old 07-16-01 | 06:55 AM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Default LoJack

Chris,

I'd do some more research before getting the LoJack. The LoJack only works once you've discovered your car is missing. There are other devices available now that have central station monitoring on your car, and alert you when your alarm is tripped. You can also track the car via GPS over the web, telephone or other 2 way paging device/PDA. Take a look at Http://www.elitelog.com I have this in mine and think it is a much better system than Lo-Jack. Remeber Lo-Jack also only works within a certain range, and your local police force has to be equipped for it also.