GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Ever think about selling the car???

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-05, 09:49 PM
markgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my car is by now means where I want it to be, with its blemished paint, and uninstalled parts, and everything else that bugs me about it...but i still love it alot, and have plans to turn into to something nice as time and money permits. while Ive already been down the marriage road, I do have a beautiful 2yr old daughter to whom most of my money goes (and for good reason ). Being a single dad who doesnt get paid all that much is tough, but the one thing that I get some joy from is my car...so I plan on keeping it pretty much forever and just adding and fixing it as I go (and as my finances permit).

congrats on your engagement however, I wish you all the best
Old 09-19-05, 10:01 PM
Lexy GS430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
Another forumer legend owner! I had (well still have sitting on my driveway) a 1992 Legend LS sedan. I told myself I was never gonna sell the thing and I put all kinds of mods into it. On 9/10/05 though, I got rear ended and my car was pushed into the car in front of me. Legend is now totaled (still waiting for insurance to take care of it). So now, I'm looking to get a GS400.

If my car wasn't hit, I would still run it until the engine is on its last breath. Even so, i would have rebuild it.
sorry to hear that. them legends are tough in any accident, very well built cars IMO.
Old 09-20-05, 04:03 AM
aloha08isf
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

before i thought about it but now no wayz! Lexus all the way
Old 09-20-05, 06:53 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey J, I understand your situation man, its a tough call. You know I rather you keep the GS for all the work you had done plus the stuff you have sitting in your garage waiting to be installed man go with your heart man.
Old 09-20-05, 07:14 AM
Lexis11
Lexus Champion

Yup this is a real tough decision. I could take the cash and not use my savings or I could keep the car and use the savings.
Man I really dont know how this will end but I will give it a lot of thought.
A, I really think no matter what I do I am selling that special something.
Old 09-20-05, 07:28 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexis11
Yup this is a real tough decision. I could take the cash and not use my savings or I could keep the car and use the savings.
Man I really dont know how this will end but I will give it a lot of thought.
I hear ya man, I wish you didn't have to but I understand. I'm sure someone wil buy it how about them Yanks
Old 09-20-05, 08:35 AM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

we only just got our gs400... why would i want to sell?

but i just made our car payment for this month (one of many more to come for a very very long time) and the wallet is a little thin right now....
Old 09-20-05, 08:52 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

Well I have benn thinking about my car and was thinking about selling it. I am really considering buying another home with my girlfriend and also an engagement ring and I think about the car and how much I have out into it. To be hinest it makes me a little sick.

Now I dont owe much on it and if I could sell it for a good price I am very tempted to see what I could get for it.
I
f any of you older members remember the turbo orange gs300 (i beleive the screename was like dragon), well that car just sold on ebay for 30k!! Ya i was shocked. Now I dont know what I could get but am really interested.

Do you guys ever think about it and if so what do u think I could get for it modified??
I know exactly what you're going through (sort of anway).

I tried to sell my car a year ago but didn't get any bites. Perhaps the price was too high or perhaps being in Canada limited the number of potential buyers..........

The car is finally paid off and I would sell it if the price were right as I would now rather put the money towards my mortgage. However I would rather keep it if the price was not right.

In any case, a piece of real estate is always a better investment than our GS's. You will miss the car, but one day you will come back even stronger.

I say sell the car and invest the money in your house. After all, you have enjoyed the car, so it is a little different now than when you didn't have it. "Been there done that" scenario.
Old 09-20-05, 09:08 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

You probably won't miss the car as much as you think. But please, don't get sick over what you spent on it. We go through a lot of changes in our lives as mature. Maybe Billy Joel got it right when he sang he drank a lot of take home pay. A wife that might be The One, won't give you any regrets. A house makes money while you enjoy it. If you are interested in cars, you will always decide to get something that has features that are worth spending more on to you because it is part of your entertainment budget. But there always a lot of cars out there and an infinite supply of new ones with even better features.

Eventually you might get to the point where you can drive whatever you want, and if you feel like hunting for a 2k3 GS and putting a bunch of fiberglass on it, well,you will then know why a lot of guys are getting 60s muscle cars today. It is just part of the changing priorities we all go through. The number of old farts here that have GSs or bimmers or whatever are a very small percentage of the 20 and 30 somethings here that can't wait to pour thousands into a GS. But we are here. Contrary to popular belief, not all old farts are driving Buicks to matinee priced movies. If you are into cars, you probaly will always be into cars. But enjoy the other parts of your life too. A lot of guys that concentrate on cars, electronics, clubs, etc., just don't have any other parts of their lives. I have been married longer than a lot of guys here have been alive. And I realize that cars come and go. So don't sweat the amount you have spent on your car but enjoy exploring other areas as well. But as you go forward, understanding that any dollar you spend is in a competition for other things to spend it on. Tires, engagement rings, houses, mutual funds, home theater, and a lot of other things. For the vast majority, there are a lot more uses for funds in our lives than there are sources. Where you set the priorities dictates how much goes where.
Old 09-20-05, 09:35 AM
GStateOM
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, I'm not even thinking of selling it. No matter how outdated it gets, I could just not see myself selling it anytime soon. Even if I were to get my hands on a new Lex, this one would probably be sitting beside that one on the driveway.
Old 09-20-05, 09:45 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GStateOM
No, I'm not even thinking of selling it. No matter how outdated it gets, I could just not see myself selling it anytime soon. Even if I were to get my hands on a new Lex, this one would probably be sitting beside that one on the driveway.
Been there, done that. Now I can really afford to have a hangar queen but I can tell you that unless you have a lot of bucks, paying license, insurance, maintenance, etc., on a car that you drive a couple of times a month is hard to do very long. But if it floats your boat, enjoy it. There are a lot of times when nothing is going to get you feeling better. If a car does it, you are lucky.
Old 09-20-05, 09:48 AM
Pavel
Rookie

I have yet to purchase my GS..but I have gone through the similar process. I had a galant (not the gratest car, but i still loved it) which I have put quiet a bit of money into, and one day I sold it for soemthing else. It's been 2.5 years since the time I sold it, and I regret doing so every single day. I hope that the GS will take it's special place and will stay in the family for a while.

Like someone stated earlier, go with your heart. If that will make you happier, sell the car and use the money toward other things you wanted.
Old 09-20-05, 09:48 AM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

jeff, ur crazy man... dont do it!!!! honestly, i think that your car looks GREAT and u should keep it. but then again, i am biased b/c this is clubLEXUS and not some homeowners forum (if that makes any sense) keep ur head up and no matter what u do, never look back. ill call u some time to talk.

as for this matter, if it is what i think it is... ill kill ya first, and then buy it from u (if u dont have someone else lines up)
Old 09-20-05, 10:11 AM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

most of the used gs3/4's i've seen locally are all at dealerships. many were shipped from the east coast or from the US up here to the westcoast. the east coast cars all have suffered winter weathering and look twice the mileage indicated. i still remember a 01 gs430 i looked at here on the westcoast that was imported from ontario which had only 40k kms, but the paint was all salt stained and the pitted chrome wheels had snow tires no them... and this was in july! the US cars are usually from california, texas, florida or arizona for some reason... no rust issues, but lots of sun faded paint and cracked leather. and of course no history on anything that isn't local.

as for the local cars at dealers, almost all of them that i asked about were traded in for the new gs models, or were ex-leases.
Old 09-20-05, 10:21 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by TheSupe87
GS400 owners must hold onto them a long time, because I've been looking for the last year or so for a 98+ GS400, and can't find many in the Connecticut area that are under 70k miles. I don't want a beat-to-crap NYC or Boston area city car, either. It seems like the only ones for sale, are either the newer (00+ more expensive years; higher blue book obviously) where as the 98s and 99s are all high mileage and/or beat.
Not trying to hijack your thread Lexis11, but I will respond to this here and then take it to PM. Are you looking to buy a stock GS or a modded one? Lexis11 (the person who started this thread might be selling his Boston car - however it is not a beat up car - very well taken care of and heavily modified).
Do you guys have any specific reasons for wanted to sell, like since it's a RWD and not wanting to deal with that in the winter, or possibly selling for fuel economy? I was just wondering.
RWD has no effect on me since I don't drive the car in the winter. Besides that the only reason I would be selling mine is the same as Lexis11 - to put the money to better use like real estate.

Quick Reply: Ever think about selling the car???