GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Ever think about selling the car???

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-05, 03:41 PM
Lexis11
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ever think about selling the car???

Well I have benn thinking about my car and was thinking about selling it. I am really considering buying another home with my girlfriend and also an engagement ring and I think about the car and how much I have out into it. To be hinest it makes me a little sick.

Now I dont owe much on it and if I could sell it for a good price I am very tempted to see what I could get for it.
I
f any of you older members remember the turbo orange gs300 (i beleive the screename was like dragon), well that car just sold on ebay for 30k!! Ya i was shocked. Now I dont know what I could get but am really interested.

Do you guys ever think about it and if so what do u think I could get for it modified??
Old 09-19-05, 04:59 PM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 250 Posts

Yeah, De Beers loves engagement rings; they invented them, you know.

Show her you love her by letting her drive the car once in a while.
Old 09-19-05, 05:10 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was in the same boat you were. I was spending money on my car and at the same time shopping for a ring. But I thought about it and realized I love my car too much and will just start scaling back the mods a bit. So now I am only going to do a kit and probably be done. There are always going to be little things but no major mods. But I think I made the wise decision and spent more money on the ring that on my latest mods
Old 09-19-05, 05:30 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Every car I have ever owned has been for sale at any time. This one however is different. Everyone knows me as the guy selling his cars - but not this time.

I don't see giving this car up anytime in the near future. Unless of course I could sell it for enough to buy another one and boost that biiatch!!

Jonny
Old 09-19-05, 05:46 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

I've been in the GS family for about 1.5 years. In March of 2004, I bought a 98 GS4, sold it in March 2005, and then bought my current 99 GS4 in June of 05. I don't plan on selling it for a long time (if at all). Sometimes I think about what I would get if I sold it, and the problem is that unless you're going to buy another used car, you're probably looking at selling your GS and throwing several thousand dollars towards a new one and still ending up with a lesser car. I'm into my car for around $17k. Let's say that I could sell it for the same amount. What am I going to replace it with that's comprable in terms of luxury, performance and reliability? A new Acura TL for $34,000? An IS350 for $40k? I'm sure that both of those cars are great cars, but are they worth twice the price of what I'm driving today? Probably not. So, whenever I think about selling the car (which isn't very often), this thought process always brings me back to reality. There is no car out there in a price range I can afford that's comprable in terms of luxury, performance and reliability that I'd rather be driving. Period.
Old 09-19-05, 06:06 PM
GeorgeGS4
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

e-man well said.

i built up a trophy winnin MR2 that i had for 5 years, and when i sold that it almost brought a tear to my eye BUT i moved on to a car that, with time, I'll probably love just as much

the thing is you have to pick something that you like now and as long as you dont settle for anything, youll be happy..... congrats on the engagement ring by the way

just curious, what were you thinkin of getting??

-george

oh yea, and if you do decide to sell, you have to wait till you bring 'er down to green harbor so i can at least see it in person
Old 09-19-05, 06:37 PM
tuddy
Negative Nancy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

this is weird cause today i was thinking bout it..and how some people i know sold there cars cause they were to expensive and they needed money..my friend had a 04 M3 with a crap load of mods and when he sold it he was so depressed lol...but i could never sell my car.. i dunno im just too attached to it and worked too hard to get it and i plan on putting alot of money into it eventually..i hope you change your mind bro..but if you dont,dont just settle for any ole car get something you can see yourself in...good luck
Old 09-19-05, 07:37 PM
Lexy GS430
Lexus Test Driver

I use to own 93 acura legend LS, and at that time i thought it was awesome other then legend GS model. i like that better, due to funds at that time i wasn't able to get legend GS. To make long storie short the legend got totaled, not by me but my mom. I really love that car, and would've still have it if it wasn't totaled. anyways i thought that i would never find somethin better then the legend, and started buyin cars like 02 wrx, 04 civic si thinkin at that time everybody was in to it, but later i started thinkin this is'nt for me so i sold both cars, and started lookin for somethin else with reliability,V-8,luxury, and style. So i picked my brand new 03 GS430 as my new love, and let me tell u from the first time i saw her i new i was in love, and i'm still in love with her even more now that i have done some upgrade. Now she looks, and ride awesome, i will never get rid of her. I know that years down the road she will not let me done. So don't get rid of her just hang on alittle longer bro.
Old 09-19-05, 08:08 PM
Cannonbear
Lexus Test Driver

with the way stuff keeps hitting me right now im very tempted to sell it and get a civic or something, sometimes its just not worth having a nice car.
Old 09-19-05, 08:19 PM
lalexusgs
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been just thinking about selling mine all day today. We are planning on second baby, and will probably have to buy a larger SUV. God, I hate SUVs and hate to even think about selling my car...
Old 09-19-05, 08:24 PM
e-diddy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by e-man
I've been in the GS family for about 1.5 years. In March of 2004, I bought a 98 GS4, sold it in March 2005, and then bought my current 99 GS4 in June of 05. I don't plan on selling it for a long time (if at all). Sometimes I think about what I would get if I sold it, and the problem is that unless you're going to buy another used car, you're probably looking at selling your GS and throwing several thousand dollars towards a new one and still ending up with a lesser car. I'm into my car for around $17k. Let's say that I could sell it for the same amount. What am I going to replace it with that's comprable in terms of luxury, performance and reliability? A new Acura TL for $34,000? An IS350 for $40k? I'm sure that both of those cars are great cars, but are they worth twice the price of what I'm driving today? Probably not. So, whenever I think about selling the car (which isn't very often), this thought process always brings me back to reality. There is no car out there in a price range I can afford that's comprable in terms of luxury, performance and reliability that I'd rather be driving. Period.
Very well stated.

A few months back I took it as far as getting pre-approved financing for a brand new G35 coupe. Took it for a test drive and everything and came really close to trading in my GS3 for it.

Thank God a buddy of mine talked me out of it. I have no regrets and not to metion that the car will be paid off in February of 2006 if not sooner.
Old 09-19-05, 08:40 PM
dsouth
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I loved this car until today. I am currently in the market for some new shoes due to a nail in the tire and I was unable to get plugged. Well I figured why not just get new wheels while I'm at it and was saving up. So I figured I'll save up more and get some dubs so I wouldn't regret it. So long stroy short, I put my spare donut on and commence to start it up after sitting for about 3 weeks untouched.
To my surprise the car hesitated to fire up like it always does. It started to shake violently side to side and sounded like I needed to give it some Gas, so I did and it started sluggishly. I thought it may be bad Gas that I got from Shell. So I turned the car off and re-started it and it started w/ no problems. I took it for a test drive and got on the Gas a little and it sounds ok now. I also just got my timing belt replaced like 2 months ago.
Now I'm thinking about Selling or trading in................................
Old 09-19-05, 08:51 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexy GS430
I use to own 93 acura legend LS, and at that time i thought it was awesome other then legend GS model. i like that better, due to funds at that time i wasn't able to get legend GS. To make long storie short the legend got totaled, not by me but my mom. I really love that car, and would've still have it if it wasn't totaled. anyways i thought that i would never find somethin better then the legend, and started buyin cars like 02 wrx, 04 civic si thinkin at that time everybody was in to it, but later i started thinkin this is'nt for me so i sold both cars, and started lookin for somethin else with reliability,V-8,luxury, and style. So i picked my brand new 03 GS430 as my new love, and let me tell u from the first time i saw her i new i was in love, and i'm still in love with her even more now that i have done some upgrade. Now she looks, and ride awesome, i will never get rid of her. I know that years down the road she will not let me done. So don't get rid of her just hang on alittle longer bro.

Another forumer legend owner! I had (well still have sitting on my driveway) a 1992 Legend LS sedan. I told myself I was never gonna sell the thing and I put all kinds of mods into it. On 9/10/05 though, I got rear ended and my car was pushed into the car in front of me. Legend is now totaled (still waiting for insurance to take care of it). So now, I'm looking to get a GS400.

If my car wasn't hit, I would still run it until the engine is on its last breath. Even so, i would have rebuild it.
Old 09-19-05, 08:53 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

[QUOTE=dsouth So long stroy short, I put my spare donut on and commence to start it up after sitting for about 3 weeks untouched.
To my surprise the car hesitated to fire up like it always does. It started to shake violently side to side and sounded like I needed to give it some Gas, so I did and it started sluggishly. I thought it may be bad Gas that I got from Shell. So I turned the car off and re-started it and it started w/ no problems. [/QUOTE]

A lot of cars do this. When I bought my Acura Legend, the previous owner hadn't ran the car in a month (she bought a new car) so it was definitely not smooth when it first fired up. Thereafter, it was fine.
Old 09-19-05, 09:46 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

I cant lie and say its never crossed my mind. Shoot everyday it crosses my mind. But then I remember the struggles I went through to get this car. And I also remember that this is the car that I have wanted since they first released it back in late 97. Those usually quell my thoughts on selling the GS.

Unfortunatley (kinda, but not really) that decision has been taken away from me. I am now a full time student and had the remainder of my loan paid off for me. (I used to pay for my car and all the stuff i wanted done to it myself, but with no income, means so payments). So if needbe, my parents can come up and say to me tommorrow (knock on wood they dont) "we need to trade your car for a truck /smaller car/ whatever" and really, I would have no say in the matter. Now I do have a standing clause with them though. If they DO decide that my GS is better suited as a trade in rather than me owning in, then I will get to pick the model of the next car. (ie: If they say they want to get a truck then I want to get the truck I want to get within limits.)

So in short, yes, I have THOUGHT about it. Never acted on it, and I hope to keep my GS until I get my new job out of college! (Even then, I still plan on keeping the GS!)

Props to Lexus for making a car so damn hard to want to get rid of

Quick Reply: Ever think about selling the car???