GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

front bumper markers light up?! help?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-05, 01:00 PM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default front bumper markers light up?! help?!

guys- dont kill me here because there arent really any gs's around town for me to just go look. and i have obviously seen people replacing the housings on these with clear ones on this board but i dont get it...the front bumper markers,are these just reflectors? and when you buy aftermarket ones they come with a light, or what? im pretty sure they are supposed to light up stock, either with the parking lights or with the turn signal, but mine do not, i never really obviously noticed or paid attention as my face isnt near the bumper often when im inside the car and turning lol but im wondering after i got the work done to my front end maybe the bodyshop forgot to plug the harnesses back into them? enLIGHTen me please. sorry about the stupid question but i honestly dont know and never paid enough attention to the car when the lights were ever on and i was out of it to notice...
Old 09-20-05, 01:18 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Most people buy the clear markers (some come with a light some don't depending on place of purchase) and then buy LED's to be plugged in in place of the white bulb that's inside the oem amber lens. You should check with your state to see if a specific color is required (NYS = amber I think). You can get some good deals on ebay.

They are NOT turn signals (01 430) but they are supposed to be on when headlights are on. The harness may not be plugged in as you stated or the bulb may not be seated completely or making contact.

Take out the light, turn your headlights on and then do some troubleshooting to see what the problem may be. You can test the bulb by taking it out and putting it in your door lights.
Old 09-20-05, 01:19 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are actually lights. They come on with the parking lights, but not the turn signals. when you buy the aftermarket ones, you only get the marker light housing, but no bulb. You can buy an aftermaket color bulb or use the clear on that is on the car now.

As for your lights not comin on... it may be a few things. the lights may both be burned out. No sensor to tell you that, or (not sure about this one) the fuse may be burnt. If the fuse is burnt, usually it would take some other stuff with it, so im not sure!

"He who asks a question may be a fool for five minutes, but he who never asks a question remains a fool forever."

-Tom J. Connelly

You wont know, if you dont ask!
Old 09-20-05, 01:26 PM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Stage3

"He who asks a question may be a fool for five minutes, but he who never asks a question remains a fool forever."

-Tom J. Connelly

You wont know, if you dont ask!

extremely good point . thanks for the info guys i will go check that out when i leave work.... this is stretching it now but does anyone no the location of that fuse? im gonna have to dig up the owners manual- i know theres a fuse box under the hood on the right when your standing in front of the car, and one in the kick panel on each side of the car inside up front...do these light housings just "pop" out if you pry them carefully or is it something i have to pull up the inner fender lining to get to? thanks again
Old 09-20-05, 04:34 PM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i just replaced mine to the clear ones.. all you have to do is remove the 2 screws on the fog light ..pull the fog light out and you have access to the side markers..its easy 123...
Old 09-21-05, 12:06 PM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

so is that the easiest way to get these outer amber housings off the bumper? (before i check the harnesses i wanted to pop the lense cover off) you have to go at it from inside the bumper? i thought they pryed off from the outside but like i said before ive never taken them off, i just dont want to screw them up anymore then they already are- thanks