GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Leatherseats.com, heated seats and you

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-05, 06:38 AM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Leatherseats.com, heated seats and you

Cirious if anyone has the same prediciment as far as the heated seats option on the leatheseats.com group buy. My skins are going on today, and the gentleman informed me of the heated seats not being able to work any longer due to the heat blanket not being sewed into the new seat.
I asked him if its possible to sew them in and he said no. Wondering if this is a option that i will lose now due to me not ordering it from jeremy? Any ideas would be great, I was just wanting to not lose the heated seat mod. thanks Bryan
Old 09-21-05, 01:06 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

what's the deal with this????
I've had my box of leather waiting to be installed for a while, haven't done it yet. Didn't know that the heaters were part of the seat - are they??? What's the details of what you're talking about?
Old 09-21-05, 01:16 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

the blanket part can be put on as well as the heat elements/contacts , i idid not bother with mine for as the car gets older they become less effective in fact barely ever felt mine on so i do without
Old 09-21-05, 02:09 PM
r00kie
Lexus Test Driver

I went to LMS to have the leatherseats leather put in. They sent it out, after it was done, I found out later they didn't put the heater part in. I went back, paid a little more for them to unsew and sew the heater part onto the new one. I never heard anything about them not being able to do it.

I haven't really had a chance to test the heated seats since it doesn't get too cold here in CA. However, when I turn the heater on the passenger side...I can't really feel the heat as much as before. I don't know if it's because of the extra padding that I added or they could've said they put it in, but didn't. I'd like to think it's the former rather than the latter reason.
Old 09-21-05, 06:16 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

So you're telling me that there's more modification to do to the new seat leather?
My rear hind quarters get cold in these Northeast winters - not like you Florida/Cali boys. I need the seat heaters....
Since I haven't taken any of it apart yet I can't visualize what's going on.
Old 09-21-05, 07:54 PM
r00kie
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by engin_ear
So you're telling me that there's more modification to do to the new seat leather?
My rear hind quarters get cold in these Northeast winters - not like you Florida/Cali boys. I need the seat heaters....
Since I haven't taken any of it apart yet I can't visualize what's going on.
Not more modification, might be more labor since they would need to sew the lining of the heating section into the seats.

Again, I don't know the exact details...maybe try contacting LMS and see how their upholstery shop did it.
Old 09-21-05, 11:22 PM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Default update

got my car back, seats fit wonderful, i am doing the monitors for the headrests myself. The only bad thing, which I guess on these things is having to be clear, is that I would need to take off my old heating blankets and have them sewed into the new seats. The heated seat lights still work on the console, but of course no heat. The upholstry guy said it might not even be worth having the people sew it to the new seats. He said that would be alot of teadious (sp) work and craftmanship. Im pleased, I guess I just didn't ask how the factory blankets were made!
Old 10-07-05, 09:22 AM
Leatherseats.com
Former Vendor

Just to let everyone know. The factory seat heating elements can be removed by simple unstitching the piece (scissors and a little time) or snipping around the edges of the pad. The heating pad can be trimmed to fit as long as the main circuit wire isnt cut. This does not NEED to be sewn back into the covers. You can simple use just a little bit of tape to hold it in place while you install the covers and then once the covers are installed over the pads they should not have any movement in them since they will be sandwiched between the leather and the foam.

For those that are having it professionally done, make SURE you tell them you want the seat heating elements put back with the seats. Lexus and onyl a few other companies sewn their heaters into the covers and so if you dont remind them they may forget/not notice them. If you want them to stitch them into the new covers then it shouldnt be that incredibly difficult.

Jeremy
Old 10-07-05, 12:55 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Leatherseats.com,
I have a question-On 2001+ GS, there are front seat-mounted side airbags that are integrated into the seats themselves, do your covers still work?
chuck
Old 10-07-05, 01:13 PM
Leatherseats.com
Former Vendor

The covers should work just fine under normal conditions with or without SIA.
Old 10-07-05, 01:23 PM
JMgs300
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought my GS300 about a month ago and I gotta say that the heated seats really suck, next time I bring it to the dealer im going to have them take a look at them and make sure everythings ok because both the driver and passenger side barely get hot... My moms es300 seats get really hot!
Old 10-07-05, 09:02 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Originally Posted by Leatherseats.com
Just to let everyone know. The factory seat heating elements can be removed by simple unstitching the piece (scissors and a little time) or snipping around the edges of the pad. The heating pad can be trimmed to fit as long as the main circuit wire isnt cut. This does not NEED to be sewn back into the covers. You can simple use just a little bit of tape to hold it in place while you install the covers and then once the covers are installed over the pads they should not have any movement in them since they will be sandwiched between the leather and the foam.

For those that are having it professionally done, make SURE you tell them you want the seat heating elements put back with the seats. Lexus and onyl a few other companies sewn their heaters into the covers and so if you dont remind them they may forget/not notice them. If you want them to stitch them into the new covers then it shouldnt be that incredibly difficult.

Jeremy
Thanks for the reply Jeremy - you took away my pain... :I'll tape them back in, I'm sure it will work fine. thumbup: