GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Newly Tinted / Debadged / & Bon Ami Winshield Cleansed

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-01, 08:02 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts
Default Re: Bit,

Originally posted by Dexter
I think it was you who posted earlier about stupid newbie questions?? I liked those because I identified with almost all of them!

I want throaty, but not loud, and I don't want to loose any of the low end......time for the archive search!
Er yeah, that was me, or rather, my bad side, 'bitslapper'.

I have the L-Tuned exhaust... here's the before and after:

Pea Shooter:

L-Tuned:

Also sounds great.
Old 07-14-01, 08:05 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: A question onthe L-Turned stuff...

The L tuned items can be ordered and installed through any lexus dealer? That seems pretty cool, but wierd to me. I guess coming for the BMW world, almost any mods usually voided your warranty and the service techs would look at you like you had 4 heads if you told them you wanted them to put on an aftermarket piece / mod...
L-Tuned is *BY* Lexus (even though they don't make the parts) and so does not void warranty. I also just read where TRD (Toyota Racing Development) parts officially don't void warranty either now. You can check out the cheesy L-Tuned web site at www.l-tuned.com. Steve Ganz (Carson Toyota) has a better site at www.l-tunedparts.com.

Old 07-14-01, 08:14 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep; good pics BTW.

Without rehashing the exhaust issues, I'm looking at L or Borla; from what I could gather, they're both on the relatively quiet side with slight growl, quality workmanship, and still done tastefully.

I almost wouldn't mind if there were no tips; kind of a stealth set up like upper end MBs and BMWs (try to spot them on 540s the next time you see one from behind); curved down tips maybe? But I guess the mufflers would have to sit pretty high up, close the chasis; too much reworking involved probably....

Now is the cost issue, which I haven't compared current prices yet, but history (archive) states that Borla is a good deal.

Thanks for the inputs!
Old 07-14-01, 11:01 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bit, that before and after picture reminds me of those before and after of some product you would see advertised on t.v. The first picture is always darker, and of poorer quality, and the other one is wonderful! How could you not like the second one better? Seriously thought, the L-Tuned does look much better than stock.
Old 07-15-01, 01:53 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,279 Likes on 1,385 Posts

Dex,

I've got the Borlas so you can check them out for looks and sound when we get together in a couple of weeks.
Old 07-15-01, 03:20 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by LexRX
bit, that before and after picture reminds me of those before and after of some product you would see advertised on t.v. The first picture is always darker, and of poorer quality, and the other one is wonderful! How could you not like the second one better? Seriously thought, the L-Tuned does look much better than stock.
Thanks, and you're right, I wish I had a better picture of before, I think I took it in my garage at night, but I took the after picture in the daylight.
Old 07-15-01, 03:25 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Dex,

Where did you get the Bon Ami??

The windshield on my wife's TL isn't in the best of shape so maybe this stuff might help.. I assume it worked well for you.. Anything special I should know about application wise with Bon Ami??
Old 07-15-01, 04:12 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Default 2Savvy

I picked it up at WalMart for 67 cents. Look for it with he Ajax and Comet.

Obviously, I'm a believer. It's about like talcum powder, so don't worry about scratching. Actually one of their selling points is that it won't scratch. I really did notice an increase in the clearness of the windshield.

Wet, sprinkle, rub with wet hand towel, rinse with clean wet towel, dry. 5 minutes, tops.

Do it so my claims can be corroborated!

Old 07-15-01, 06:28 PM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dexter...can u elaborate on the exact tint u got?
Old 07-15-01, 06:40 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Sure.. I said 3M before, but the warranty paperwork mentions Solargard. Maybe they make it, I dunno; the shop had all kinds of 3M stuff and literature around

www.solargard.com

Yes, that is the correct spelling.

the model number I guess you would call it, is 'HP Titanium' that box was checked, but hand written in on the form was 'HP Ti 35%'

Let me tell you, its not silver, or any variation thereof; it has *no* reflective qualities. I wasn't going for that look.

It's definitely grey.

HTH
Old 07-15-01, 06:51 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

OK OK If you go to their site and look at the numbers, it says it has reflective qualities, but to me, it doesn't. It really looks great, classy, and well done.

Nobody call BS on me. If you want to see more pics, just holla.
Old 07-15-01, 06:55 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Default Oh Yeah.......

Anybody have a need for these? They can be yours for a few dollars, or whatever it takes to get em to ya via USPS.

Attached Thumbnails Newly Tinted / Debadged / & Bon Ami Winshield Cleansed-102-0202_img.jpg  
Old 07-15-01, 08:48 PM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

Dexter...The residue is still remaining correct? I want to debadge my silver gs, but was worrie about the residue...Let me know....The car looks sweet debagded...Good choice of keeing the "L" Thats the main thing...
Old 07-15-01, 10:07 PM
Brian S
Lead Lap

Default Re: Oh Yeah.......

Anybody have a need for these? They can be yours for a few dollars, or whatever it takes to get em to ya via USPS.
Awesome! I'll put the 'Lexus' and 'GS' on my front fenders, then put the 400 with the other one out back. I'll have world's first GS 400,400! Stylin'!
Old 07-15-01, 10:13 PM
Brian S
Lead Lap

Seriously though, I would give you $15 for the set. I wouldn't mind a few desk ornaments.

Brian

Quick Reply: Newly Tinted / Debadged / & Bon Ami Winshield Cleansed