GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

RMM supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-01, 01:55 PM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got an e-mail from Blair at RMM. He stated that they are nearly done with the supercharger and that the only thing left was to get the instructions written. I wrote to them earlier this week regarding status of the SC kit, and asked if it was a scrubbed project. He reassured me that it wasn't. They are projecting the kit to be out in early August.

Until it is proven, SRT is king of the SC world (in the case of Lexus that is)
Old 07-14-01, 06:47 PM
whitediamond
Pole Position

Default SRT SC

From what I have heard from a few sources the early SRT supercharger was not what one would call a quality unit. Hoses that banged on the hood, etc......Others in the know here can better judge this.
Im certainly going to add one shortly and would prefer the SRT over the service challenged RMM though I question 6000.00 when supercharger kits for other makes run around 3500.00.

Last edited by whitediamond; 07-14-01 at 06:58 PM.
Old 07-16-01, 02:49 AM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

HI98GS, Hello how are you? I have a couple of questions about your car if you dont mind? You are the first person on the board that Ive seen with the Work Euqips. Im about to get 20" Work Equips(newly released) and I was wondering if you had a pic of your car for reference? First, any reason you chose the 10" rear? Also important, did you go with the standard or DDC style? Next, If you can give me your opinion of the overall build of the Work rim?(lip strength, quality of the finish,etc.) Also, I have just ordered the SupraTT brake upgrade. Did you use the stock SupraTT caliper or find a cross drilled or slotted one? Sorry for all the questions, but Im trying to make surew the Work Equip is the way to go...Thanks, Tiny

Last edited by tinygs; 07-16-01 at 03:33 AM.
Old 07-16-01, 01:41 PM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

Default Hey Tiny

Hello again Tiny
Well, I haven't forgot about your question about the L-sprotline side skirts and the match with the Gracer front lip. I still haven't gotten a digital camera. I am going to get one this weekend. So I will send you pics of my car soon. As for your questions about the Work Equips.

1. Quality is impeccable. The rim is solid. I don't mean just the looks but the rim is very strong. I haven't had any problems with the rim. I have the regular silver with polished lip, not the super chrome, so I couldn't answer how the chrome holds up. But I can answer that the polished lip is still as shiny as ever. Just remember that they used a clearcoat so use a good wax on the rim. I use Mequiars 16 (the blue can)

2. If you are gonna use the supra brakes or any larger brakes, make sure you get the offset for the supra. It will still fit, the front lip won't be as deep, mine is about 1" on the front and nearly 1.75-2.00 inch on the rear. The reason is that if you use the Lexus GS offset, the supra brakes may not fit.

3. I have the regular style not the DDC. The DDC looks extremely nice in my opinion, but it looks like a pain to keep clean.

4. I had the stock supra rotors, but i just ordered some cross drilled ones. I only did this for looks, not too sure if I will use cross drilled rotors to its fullest potential just driving on the street. But I guess if i decided to autocross, these will do very well.

5. I went with the 10 inch rims on the rear because they looked really nice. no problems with fitment.

6. Overall, If I were to order another set of rims, I would like to get either Work Rezax II or the new Volk GTP (but it only comes in 17's now, next month 18 but no run will be made for 19's) bummer.

Hope this helps
Aloha from Hawaii
Ricky aka HI98GS
Old 07-16-01, 02:58 PM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Great...Thank You for the response..I will be getting the Silver as well, I dont like the chrome and the DDC is ALOT more expensive...Good to hear the rim is tough. About the brakes? Can you tell me where you are getting the cross drilled rotor? I have a package set up through Steve at Carson for the whole SupraTT brake kit but the cross drilled rotor will be gold....Part of the disc will turn silver over time but I would have to paint the "hat" to make sure its silver....Please let me know, thanks, Tiny
Old 07-16-01, 03:10 PM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by HI98GS
I just got an e-mail from Blair at RMM. He stated that they are nearly done with the supercharger and that the only thing left was to get the instructions written. I wrote to them earlier this week regarding status of the SC kit, and asked if it was a scrubbed project. He reassured me that it wasn't. They are projecting the kit to be out in early August.

Until it is proven, SRT is king of the SC world (in the case of Lexus that is)
Any idea who manufactures the SC? Is it Centrifugal or Roots? Thanks for any info...

Brent
Old 07-16-01, 05:56 PM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

Brent,
From my understanding, it is a centrifigal type set-up. kinda like vortec. He told me a while back who was working on it for them, but I can't remember. I also remember that the reason the SC kit kinda was put on the shelf is was the initial company working on the system (?UPRT Under Pressure Research and Technology) was bought out by another company.

Tiny,
I ended up getting my cross drilled rotors from RMM through a speed shop here in Hawaii. They gave me an offer I couldn't refuse. If I couldn't get this deal, I would have went through Steve. BTW, I ended up sandblasting the supra logo and paint off my calipers and just painted them silver/aluminum. I just didn't think that the supra logo on the GS was gonna look good. Just my opinion.

hope this helps guys
laterz
ricky
Old 07-16-01, 10:46 PM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by HI98GS
Brent,
From my understanding, it is a centrifigal type set-up. kinda like vortec. He told me a while back who was working on it for them, but I can't remember. I also remember that the reason the SC kit kinda was put on the shelf is was the initial company working on the system (?UPRT Under Pressure Research and Technology) was bought out by another company.

hope this helps guys
laterz
ricky
Ah-hah,

Thanks Ricky for that info. It's the infamous UPRD (Under Pressure Research Development) kit that was apparently abandoned. Supposedly, the SC kit is all ready to go but there was confusion when UPRD got bought out by another group or something like that. That's interesting...I thought the UPRD kit was either a Vortec or a PowerDyne unit. Then again, it could be Paxton...Oh well, I guess hopefully, there will be more info.

I was hoping it was a roots-type...match that to the TC and the GS4 would be smoking!!!! The centrifugal type is easier to bolt on and fabricate but has lag like the turbo...

Brent
Old 07-17-01, 09:06 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, I was looking for a roots type SuperCharger for my GS also...oh well...guess I just gotta keep my feelers out...
Old 07-17-01, 11:13 AM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by manaray
Yeah, I was looking for a roots type SuperCharger for my GS also...oh well...guess I just gotta keep my feelers out...
Hey Manaray,

I may try this anyway. PM me if you are interested in hearing some more details and brainstorm a bit...

Brent