GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

HELP: 16 hours to drive...need to protect front

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-01, 05:04 PM
jeffthx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello--

In two weeks, I will be the owner of a 2000 GS4. I am going to be picking it up in Cincinnati, then driving it to my current home in Detroit. Then, a few days after that, I am moving from Detroit to Minneapolis. Altogether, it is about 1000 miles or so. I'm looking forward to getting very familiar with my new car during this time, but I am dreading the effect that 16 hours of driving across flat, open land will have on the car (bugs, stones, bugs, tar, bugs, and bugs baking on the front). I saw a recent thread that suggested saran wrap and/or pam cooking spray, but I'm worried about what either of these could do to the paint and finish, especially in the anticipated 85-degree heat during this drive. I don't want to use a bra for fairly obvious reasons, but I'm really not concerned with how the car looks during this drive. I'm willing to use the white protectant film that dealers use when transporting cars, as long as it will maintain the paint, etc, underneath. Once I get to my final destination, I can peel off the whole works and start with a preserved front end. Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated. The car has been beautifully maintained by its current owner, and I really don't want to screw that up by smearing Pam/Vaseline, or by having Saran Wrap fuse itself to the paint in the heat. Thanks in advance for your ideas.

jj
Old 07-14-01, 06:22 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At our Atlanta meet, SilverLex had a "clear bra" made by xpel ( http://www.xpel.com ) on his IS. It is basically a special polymer made to be applied to the front of a vehicle to protect against road debris and is almost unnoticeable. I only knew he had it b/c of the seam where it stopped on the hood and that was in direct, (and the guys that were there can back me up on this one) DIRECT sunlight

I believe you have to have it professionally installed (or rather, you SHOULD have it professionally installed). I know for sure that they have it for the GS. Check it out.

If you can't find it on the web site, here is the direct link to the Lexus models. The main page is a little overwhelming with links.

http://www.xpel.com/paint/product.as...=8&image1.y=17

Last edited by LexRX; 07-14-01 at 06:30 PM.