GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Hi, I'm a new member.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-01, 05:18 PM
Ha-Ha

Cool

Hello everyone, I'm a forum newbee, to LEXUS that is. I'm a perf car nut, with my other ride being a '99 Vette. I post like crazy on the Corvette forum and sometimes I read flames from vette owners when other vette owners ***** about vette reliability and say they are switching to a LEXUS. I could only deduce that the flamers obviously haven't driven a GS-300 or 430. The vette is a different car, especially the 6 speed, but comparing any lexus to a vette is comparing apples and oranges for sure.

Anyway, I picked up a pre-owned GS-300 with 26K miles on it 3 months ago and was absolutely amazed. I had a deposit on a '98 528i but when I drove the GS300, I called the BMW dealer back requesting my deposit back. Don't get me wrong, the 528 is nice but the GS has more personality and I am quite surprised on how it handles..

One thing about this forum - the font sizes are really smal and readability is difficult, I mean REALLY DIFFICULT!!! Do the members have any options with this??? t. I hope there are plans to change this. Later for now.
Old 07-15-01, 05:28 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From you IE browser,

Go to menu item 'VIEW'

Select 'TEXT SIZE'

Select 'LARGEST'

HTH
Old 07-15-01, 05:33 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

welcome to clublexus! and good choise on your GS3! you know you could make your GS3 a twin turbo too... hehe if you have any questions about anything feel free to ask us!

Old 07-15-01, 05:46 PM
Ha-Ha

[i] you know you could make your GS3 a twin turbo too... hehe if you have any questions about anything feel free to ask us!

[/B]
TWIN TURBO GS-300? Hmmm ... na, I think I'll keep the GS for what it does best. Besides, I wouldn't want to void 2 FACTORY Warranties.
Old 07-15-01, 06:02 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Ha-Ha, your powertrain warranty on the GS is 4 yr/50k (unless you bought extended)......just planting a seed here. Guess you could take out all your torque desires on the 'vette, esp when you TT it, but a TT GS can be seriously quick, and, of course, if you leave the badging stock.........luxury 4 dr bushwhacker!!!

Welcome!!! Lots of very knowledgeable people here, lots of nice people here.........and almost complete overlap between the two. Speaking at least for me, post some pix of your 'vette, too!!
Old 07-15-01, 09:29 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ahh, the corvette. My friend is a vette nut and I am a Lexus nut. You must be the combination of our personalities! Welcome...both of you

Glad you could find such an ejoyable and forgiving car. What are some of the opitons you have on the vette? HUD, sport seats, ride select, etc...
Old 07-15-01, 10:17 PM
Brian S
Lead Lap

Welcome!

Brian
Old 07-16-01, 06:29 AM
Ha-Ha

Originally posted by LexRX
ahh, the corvette. My friend is a vette nut and I am a Lexus nut. You must be the combination of our personalities! Welcome...both of you

Glad you could find such an ejoyable and forgiving car. What are some of the opitons you have on the vette? HUD, sport seats, ride select, etc...
When I purchased my vette I didn't order with many options, other than the power seat. The HUD just became available that year but on a vette, the more electronic wizardy you get, the more problems you'll have - just my opinion on GM workmanship. I believe in leaving the electronic wizardry to the FAR EAST. The vette is for performance and for performance only (with the eXception of a nice high end after market car/audio system) which is why I also ordered it with the Z51 Suspension. It automatically comes equippped with Trac Control but I find myself turning it off often. I have a few cosmetic mods that make it look unique and will be trying to keep HP mods simple with a TT from ARE (Augostino Racing Engines) within the next few months.

My GS has the rear spoiler, which gives it a unique look, along with the gold package wheels. Unfortunately it did not come equipped with a HID but at the price I purchased it for, I didn't want to blow a wonderful opportunity. This is truly a sound automobile. I'll be looking to do some things with it in the future, but mostly cosmetic. So I'll hang around here, chat with you guys and learn.
Old 07-16-01, 08:43 AM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

Welcome
Old 07-16-01, 05:28 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Originally posted by Ha-Ha

When I purchased my vette I didn't order with many options, other than the power seat. The HUD just became available that year but on a vette, the more electronic wizardy you get, the more problems you'll have - just my opinion on GM workmanship. I believe in leaving the electronic wizardry to the FAR EAST. The vette is for performance and for performance only (with the eXception of a nice high end after market car/audio system) which is why I also ordered it with the Z51 Suspension. It automatically comes equippped with Trac Control but I find myself turning it off often. I have a few cosmetic mods that make it look unique and will be trying to keep HP mods simple with a TT from ARE (Augostino Racing Engines) within the next few months.
Z51 suspension - that comes with the sport seats right? I like what you said about ordering more electronics and therefore having more problems...so true Did you say twin turbo!?! :eek:
Old 07-16-01, 08:23 PM
Ha-Ha

Originally posted by LexRX

Z51 suspension - that comes with the sport seats right? I like what you said about ordering more electronics and therefore having more problems...so true Did you say twin turbo!?! :eek:
Sport seats is an option but doesn't necessarily come with the Z51 Suspension. There hasn't been a vette owner that hasn't been satisfied when they upgraded to Z51 from stock after they bought the car - they only wish they would have ordered it before they bought it.

On a vette, I don't bother with options like sport seats, mem package, dual air (I have a convertible, why do I want dual air?). I hear the POST Y2K Models come with stuff like that whether you want it or not. It would be OK if GM could do some good work but they never could and shouldn't subject us to their crappy workmanship. They should just stick to performance. They are good at that.

I do have a TT planned for the C5 anywhere between Aug and December.The important part of any mod to any car is the tuner himself - he must have a good reputation especially if u r going to be puttign big $$$ into perf mods. Unfortunately, vette mods are always big $$$ especially TT's or SC's.

I always suggest sticking with tuners who have niches and solid, I mean solid reputations. For example, LPE, ARE, MTI all have corvette, Ford and Camaro Niches. Then there are the Tuners who work on BMW's or LEXUS or MERCEDES.That's why forums like these are invaluable - they help and protect us consumers from deadbeats who are just out there to make a buck without backing up their work..
Old 07-17-01, 05:09 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Sport seats is an option but doesn't necessarily come with the Z51 Suspension. There hasn't been a vette owner that hasn't been satisfied when they upgraded to Z51 from stock after they bought the car - they only wish they would have ordered it before they bought it.

On a vette, I don't bother with options like sport seats, mem package, dual air (I have a convertible, why do I want dual air?). I hear the POST Y2K Models come with stuff like that whether you want it or not. It would be OK if GM could do some good work but they never could and shouldn't subject us to their crappy workmanship. They should just stick to performance. They are good at that.

I do have a TT planned for the C5 anywhere between Aug and December.The important part of any mod to any car is the tuner himself - he must have a good reputation especially if u r going to be puttign big $$$ into perf mods. Unfortunately, vette mods are always big $$$ especially TT's or SC's.

I always suggest sticking with tuners who have niches and solid, I mean solid reputations. For example, LPE, ARE, MTI all have corvette, Ford and Camaro Niches. Then there are the Tuners who work on BMW's or LEXUS or MERCEDES.That's why forums like these are invaluable - they help and protect us consumers from deadbeats who are just out there to make a buck without backing up their work..
Ha-Ha, another friend of mine is looking into a corvette (preferably 1998-1999). Which you do you recommend that has the LEAST amount of problems?? I know either 1997 or 1998 was the new body style. Also how much are they going for now in those years?

thanks man.
Old 07-17-01, 06:12 AM
Ha-Ha

Originally posted by DIESELMAN63

Ha-Ha, another friend of mine is looking into a corvette (preferably 1998-1999). Which you do you recommend that has the LEAST amount of problems?? I know either 1997 or 1998 was the new body style. Also how much are they going for now in those years?

thanks man.
I'd be more than happy to help.

The good news is you can by a pre-owned vette for dirt cheap. Thats right, many don't think they can afford one but they don't know what has been transpiring in the market. The High powered Z06 vettes (perhaps you've heard of this model) has really knocked the price down on new and pre-owns. In addition, the 50th anniversary is coming up in '03 - many are eagerly awaiting this. But more importantly is the new C6 body style. Vette enthusiast are awaiting its unveiling which may occur in Jan 02. its truly a buyers market with C5's right now and its dfinitely difficult to get rid of one, new or pre-owned.

With that said, a buyer must be disciplined and persistent and not fall for the dealer B.S. One great thing about corvette.com, there are many supporting vendors and dealers on this forum and some of them are offering $4K discounts on '01's!!! They know that true vette people know the scoop and there's not much they can do to B.S. us.

Now the bad news. Many say the C5 vette is a hit or miss with respect to problems. You either have a lot of them or you have very few. I can tell you that many owners have had aggravation with these puppies. There are many TSB's including Clutch failure, Oil Consumption problems, Steering wheel Computer lock problems, Rear Axle leaks. I'm talking about cars that are brand new here!!! Different problems range from different VINS depending on when they were made. I would not recommend a '97 - that was the 1st year for the C5 and probably the worst (as any 1st year is for any manufacturer). And surprisingly, the 2000's and the '01's have had oil consumption problems with new rings being the GM fix.

For a pre-owned, 98-99 may be your best bet but I have a '99 with only 6800 mi and I had a manual transmission housing leak, but that's the only major problem so far. Many vette owners on the forum have had no problems with 25K - 40K miles on them. Like I said, its a hit or miss. Your best bet is to surf corvette.com. There are many friendly folks who are also very knowledgeable. Just be careful what you say - many get offended when you mention C5 problems even if they come from a vette lover and owner like myself. I've defended many owners and got caught in the crossfire. Tell your friend good luck.

Old 07-17-01, 07:52 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

I'd be more than happy to help.

The good news is you can by a pre-owned vette for dirt cheap. Thats right, many don't think they can afford one but they don't know what has been transpiring in the market. The High powered Z06 vettes (perhaps you've heard of this model) has really knocked the price down on new and pre-owns. In addition, the 50th anniversary is coming up in '03 - many are eagerly awaiting this. But more importantly is the new C6 body style. Vette enthusiast are awaiting its unveiling which may occur in Jan 02. its truly a buyers market with C5's right now and its dfinitely difficult to get rid of one, new or pre-owned.

With that said, a buyer must be disciplined and persistent and not fall for the dealer B.S. One great thing about corvette.com, there are many supporting vendors and dealers on this forum and some of them are offering $4K discounts on '01's!!! They know that true vette people know the scoop and there's not much they can do to B.S. us.

Now the bad news. Many say the C5 vette is a hit or miss with respect to problems. You either have a lot of them or you have very few. I can tell you that many owners have had aggravation with these puppies. There are many TSB's including Clutch failure, Oil Consumption problems, Steering wheel Computer lock problems, Rear Axle leaks. I'm talking about cars that are brand new here!!! Different problems range from different VINS depending on when they were made. I would not recommend a '97 - that was the 1st year for the C5 and probably the worst (as any 1st year is for any manufacturer). And surprisingly, the 2000's and the '01's have had oil consumption problems with new rings being the GM fix.

For a pre-owned, 98-99 may be your best bet but I have a '99 with only 6800 mi and I had a manual transmission housing leak, but that's the only major problem so far. Many vette owners on the forum have had no problems with 25K - 40K miles on them. Like I said, its a hit or miss. Your best bet is to surf corvette.com. There are many friendly folks who are also very knowledgeable. Just be careful what you say - many get offended when you mention C5 problems even if they come from a vette lover and owner like myself. I've defended many owners and got caught in the crossfire. Tell your friend good luck.

Ha-Ha, thanks for the info. My friend actually is planning to go to a dealer-auction and trying to pick one up. I told him, rather go to the dealership and get a certified-preowned one so you can be safe with the warranty. I am always facinated by the corvette. Its truly an American Sports Car, not mustangs, camaros, transam etc..

Now with this being said, how is the handling in wet weather/winter conditions? I know usually here in NYC when a person has a corvette, they usually have another car in the winter (like an SUV or something).

Also, to get the corvette "fully loaded" what other options does it come with besides the nice upgraded suspension?

Thanks alot man.