GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Window tint for GS430 w/ NAV & ML?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-01, 05:56 PM
spendon
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I'm considering light charcoal tint for the side and rear windows of my GS430. Problem is I get conflicting info about affect tint will have on factory GPS and radio performance.

One Lexus dealer advised to stay away from any so-called metallic tint on rear window since GPS antenna located under rear parcel shelf and tint will block satellite signals. Another dealer said that GPS antenna itself is imprinted on rear glass and ANY tint will adverslely affect performance.

The SolarGard factory said that if GPS antenna is under parcel shelf then metallic tint is no problem. Otherwise they suggested going with a non-relfective film which contains no metal. Problem with that idea is that I understand that dyed films degrade fairly rapidly (<5 yrs) and would detach from glass. This is unacceptable also.

The installer says he has seen only one problem with tint affecting radio reception in 20+ years, and that was AM reception in a Corvette. But when pressed for specifics, he backed away saying something about fast paced changes in tint materials and antennas.

No one that I have contacted appears credible.

I see many posts in this forum where the description of the owner's vehicle includes both GPS, upgraded radio, AND tints of all kinds. Anyone with experience to share please help.
Old 07-15-01, 06:35 PM
gsexploits
Driver

Default Better safe than sorry

I have a 430 and ran into the same dilemma. However, I opted to go with non-metallic SolarGuard at 22%. Think of it this way, I was in the wireless industry for 7 years and can attest to the fact that back when mounted in car cell phones were prevalent, that you could NOT adhere the 3db gain external mount antenna to any window surface that had aftermarket tint or factory tinting with metallic in it (some have it).

So, the logic tells me that while the NAV may still work, its effectiveness may be reduced as a result of the metallic over the antenna in the glass. What causes the non-metallic window tint to discolor to the neat "purple-blue" look is the use of ammonia based glass cleaners. Stay away from that and you should be set. Worst case, in 5 years, if it discolors, replace it again if it isn't covered under the SolarGuard nationwide warranty.
Old 07-15-01, 06:46 PM
HDDuece
Driver

If the antenna for the nav is on the back glass and the window tint goes inside the car how would that interfere with the nav. I could understand if the tint went between the antenna and the satellite but it doesn't. Just my opinion.
Old 07-15-01, 07:32 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally posted by HDDuece
If the antenna for the nav is on the back glass and the window tint goes inside the car how would that interfere with the nav. I could understand if the tint went between the antenna and the satellite but it doesn't. Just my opinion.
<Slap myself in the forhead> - ya know, you're right! It shouldn't, but I *have* read of people putting on tint and it affected nav performance. That's why I've avoided it. Hmm...
Old 07-15-01, 07:33 PM
gsexploits
Driver

It is not so much the fact that it hinders (i.e between the antenna and the satellite) as much as it is because of interference due to another metallic substance in contact with the antenna.

What is a very specific point of contact (a signal radiating from the antenna) for the satellite to pick up, now becomes a broader object due to the metallic particles in the tint. You would think this would help make it act more like one big antenna across the entire rear window, but that is not the case. Actually, it negatively affects the antenna because the signal is distributed across a broader surface and thus is weaker.

Another consideration, you can't really compare the metallic affect on AM/FM radio to NAV due to the frequency NAV operates in
Old 07-15-01, 07:37 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally posted by gsexploits
It is not so much the fact that it hinders (i.e between the antenna and the satellite) as much as it is because of interference due to another metallic substance in contact with the antenna.
OK, makes sense... how about this... how about if the area of the window where the antenna is were to be PAINTED or coated in something to help it avoid contact with the tint? Say with an acrylic or something like nail polish?

Old 07-15-01, 07:39 PM
HDDuece
Driver

Try putting a big piece of aluminum foil across the inside of the the back window. If the nav still works then I don't think tint would be a problem.
Old 07-15-01, 07:42 PM
gsexploits
Driver

Further clarification...even though the tint is mounted inside the car, the antenna is in the glass and therefore anything in contact with the antenna, inside or out, can impact its signal. So when you touch something metal to it from either side, it will weaken its signal strength capabilities, because the antenna was built a certain length, width and direction (horizontal vs. vertical or other angle) to allow max signal reception.

You may also want to keep this in mind if you have an externally mounted cell phone antenna. The signal for cell phones radiates on a horizontal plane, so if you tip the antenna in any angle from vetical, it effectively removes much of its reception capabilities because if it were straight in the air (think of a donut over the tip of the antenna) it would track horizontally better. Tip the donus on a 45 degree angle and now you have half pointing to the sky, and half to the ground - in either case not the path the signal is traveling.
Old 07-15-01, 07:47 PM
gsexploits
Driver

Aluminum won't work the way you need it to. I like the idea (trust me I tried to think of all the angles because I like the metallic tint), but the particles in the tint are metal (hence "metal-ic")

Best advice - find a tinter who you can trust and ask them to put up the metallic on the inside of the window (non peel away back to the glass) - even tape should work.

They shouldn't have to special cut it for you as most good tinters are getting these pattern cut already for your car). If it works consistently (the GPS signal shows in the left corner), then go for it.

Good luck...Fizics 101 next...or is that Physics?
Old 07-15-01, 08:52 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Question?

Couldn't you bi-pass the window antenna and afix an external antenna to the NAV computer thus giving you the ability to tint your rear window and most likely giving your NAV a stronger incoming signal??

Just an idea.. Since we don't have NAV up here I wouldn't know if this would work but does this idea have any validity??
Old 07-15-01, 09:12 PM
gsexploits
Driver

There is an external antenna option that has been posted on past threads (couldn't find it). The antenna re-routes to the front dash area so you can use any tint you want.
Old 07-16-01, 10:44 PM
MarsB007
Driver

I have a 2001 GS300 with the NAV/ML package and I ran into the same problems that you guys have. I decided to use the metallic tint (18%) and it cut off all signal from the satellites. I then bought an Alpine GPS antenna (i heard Clarion also works) and rerouted it to the front dash. All you have to do is snap the plug housing for the new antenna out, and just stick the wire directly into the factory gps antenna hole. I had circuit city reroute the antenna for me. I didn't really want to get involved with taking my dash apart. IT'S ALOT OF HASSLE TO GO THROUGH!!!!! SO UNLESS YOU REALLY REALLY REALLY LIKE THE METALLIC LOOK, get normal tints and save yourself almost 150 bucks to make it work again!!! That's just my opinion anyway...

Old 07-17-01, 08:34 AM
dnguyen_GS430
Driver

I tinted my car with the matellic tint and it was given me a problem. But I bought an external antena from Pacific coast part for 22 USD and ran it up to the front winshield. That's all it took to solve the interference problem.
Old 07-17-01, 10:35 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

D,

thanks for the tip. how about the shop tel, and the part model/number?

thanks
Old 07-17-01, 10:36 PM
ptam28
Driver School Candidate

Default GPS Antenna

Call Pacific Coast Parts at 800-421-5080, ask for Roberto. The part number is 096013330, $22.02. This antenna worked for me. My GPS stopped working after I got the metallic tint as well. The reason I went with metallic was that it doesn't fade like dye film tint.

Regards,
Patrick