GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Stock intake part question

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-05, 06:20 PM
markgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stock intake part question

Excuse my novice, non-techinical explaination, but....

When I had my stock intake intake replaced with my K&N Cold Air Intake, the guy that installed it must have forgot to keep a small ring that (as i understand it) was in the stock intake that helped to seal any excess air from getting in and throwing of the sensors. Since I dont have the ring in there, I have an occassional pinging in my engine which according to my mechanic is because air gets through the connection that throws off the sensor.

My question is, does anyone know what the name of that part/ring is so that i can order a new one? I dont have my stock intake anymore, hence I cant take it out of there
Old 09-26-05, 07:08 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

You are talking about the rubber O-ring that goes on the MAF sensor right? The MAF sensor should be the only sensor in your intake piping. You have 2 options. Either goto the dealer and see if you can just get the o-ring by itself. Another option is to goto home depot and get some teflon tape (white stuff used for plumbing) and wrap a good thick layer on the base of the MAF sensor. Thats what I did in my intake for my sensor because the hole was too big and some air was leaking in.
Old 09-26-05, 07:25 PM
markgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jefftsai
You are talking about the rubber O-ring that goes on the MAF sensor right? The MAF sensor should be the only sensor in your intake piping. You have 2 options. Either goto the dealer and see if you can just get the o-ring by itself. Another option is to goto home depot and get some teflon tape (white stuff used for plumbing) and wrap a good thick layer on the base of the MAF sensor. Thats what I did in my intake for my sensor because the hole was too big and some air was leaking in.
Yup, that's what i need!! Thanks for ithe nfo, and I may just try the DIY home depot solution first before I end up getting the actual part.

Did you have any problems after your DIY solution?
Old 09-26-05, 08:11 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

No problems, its been running great.
Before I installed the tape the car would bog down and hesitate badly from a stop and had power drops around 4000rpm. The check engine light would also blink if i ever passed 5000rpm. However, after sealing it with the teflon tape its been running as good if not better than stock

BTW: You will need a THICK layer. The teflon tape compresses when you screwn it down. Make sure to keep the teflon tape securely wrapped around the base and dont leave any hanging out to the side. It's a 5 minute job and will give new life to the car after you're done. Also, while you have the MAF sensor out...it might be a good idea to give it a cleaning.

Good luck!
Old 09-26-05, 10:00 PM
sockfocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

GO GET THE O-RING...i would hate for someone to cause serious damage to an engine because of what we call in the aircraft industry FOD (foreign object damage) the O-ring will be a lot cheaper than damaged valves or pistons.
Old 09-27-05, 04:44 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sockfocks
GO GET THE O-RING...i would hate for someone to cause serious damage to an engine because of what we call in the aircraft industry FOD (foreign object damage) the O-ring will be a lot cheaper than damaged valves or pistons.
My sensor has the o-ring but it wasnt sealing properly. Thats the only reason why I used some teflon tape.

I don't think a stray piece of teflon tape will do anything to your engine. It will proably just burn up and go out the tailpipe. I am talking about a small piece, now if the whole roll thats a different probelm
Old 09-27-05, 07:45 PM
PHX ATC
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sockfocks

Off topic:

United A320 comes in with one engine out, emergency landing the other day, lands safely and starts taxiing to the ramp. On his taxi in, he sees a giant black plastic bag and stops, the city ops guy was following him and ran out to get it. Oooooops, too late, sucked it right up into his good engine. D'Oh. Poor pilot just shut er down, said he was calling for a tow, an adult beverage, and a nap.

Funny as hell.......

Now back to your regular programming......
Old 09-27-05, 09:08 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,424 Likes on 1,588 Posts

Originally Posted by jefftsai
My sensor has the o-ring but it wasnt sealing properly.
Mine wasn't either - a dyno tuning shop I went to (Batlground in Atlanta) to get the car tuned with my SAFC2 put some dark gray sealant to seal it.