GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Where is the "paddle" shift on the 01 GS430?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-05, 02:28 PM
jskim9
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i have had acura and now the gs4, i definitely prefer the eshift. my hands stay on the wheel when making sharp turns and shifting. taking hands off the steering wheel to the shifter is not as good
what do you do when your steering wheel turns over 270 degrees? Outside of dislocating your shoulders, you have to take one hand off. I mean, this isn't a problem for high speed driving, I'm just thinking of Auto-X driving or even taking a simple right turn and you want to shift up at the apex so you're not going into high rpm.

I dunno, when I had my 240sx, I never had any problems steering with one hand and shifting with the other. I dunno if I learned it while drifting or I'm just too lazy to lift my right hand off the stick...
Old 09-29-05, 02:38 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by jskim9
what do you do when your steering wheel turns over 270 degrees? :

Good point

I definitely prefer using Honda's type shifter over the e-shift. If those guys with manual transmission are able to steer with one hand and shift with the other, then i can drive Honda's tranny like that
Old 09-29-05, 05:10 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Question Auto tranny shifting?????

This may seem like a dumb question to some, but coming from a Range I never shifted gears while driving for racing (for obvious reasons.) How exactly would shift thru gears on an auto tranny (non Tiptronic) i.e. gs430 and would it mess up the tranny??? Thanx
Old 09-29-05, 05:49 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
Good point

I definitely prefer using Honda's type shifter over the e-shift. If those guys with manual transmission are able to steer with one hand and shift with the other, then i can drive Honda's tranny like that
umm... i dont' know.... if you ask me.... should you be shifting while turning? to me that's a bad idea. racing is more about smooth transition. you should be down shifting and braking hard into a corner. catch the right gear and hold it during the corner. after the middle point of the corner you start to accel out of the corner, and then shift. at least that's what i was taught.

shifting in the middle of a turn when you are doing 270 degree, that's a drastic change of force and such during the turn. it's hard to control
Old 09-29-05, 05:53 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes yes yes. for RWD drive cars, slow before you turn and bust it off while turning while maintain control, and floor it right before going straight!!
Old 09-29-05, 09:29 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
yes yes yes. for RWD drive cars, slow before you turn and bust it off while turning while maintain control, and floor it right before going straight!!
so you shouldn't be shifting when cornering?
Old 10-05-05, 09:25 AM
opmredwing
Rookie

Default no wood if you have paddle shift?

So did I read correctly that a 00 GS4 with the paddle shift cannot have the wood steering wheel?
Old 10-05-05, 09:44 AM
kingkong5
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TheSupe87
anybody got any feedback?
With the e-shift, if I tell the car to hold it in 2nd gear, it will just bounce off the redline until I let it go into 3rd gear.

I run it on e-shift all the time. If you let it stay in 5th gear, it will drive just like it does in "D" mode, shifting by itself at the proper time. Then when I want to have a little more control, I bump it down to the lower gears. Sometimes I do this to use engine braking as well, like I used to do in a manual transmission car.
Old 10-05-05, 09:47 AM
bmgs400
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by opmredwing
So did I read correctly that a 00 GS4 with the paddle shift cannot have the wood steering wheel?
Yes you can. They're saying it's an +01 GS3 wheel. Not sure what is meant about the airbag. I think another company is making one, I can't remember the name but is was posted in another thread on CL.
Old 10-05-05, 10:30 AM
soyhead
Driver

Originally Posted by jskim9
see if you love it while you're taking a sharp turn... I prefer Honda's "Craptronic" in that respect, since you shift up and down with the auto stick. But Honda's auto trannies are as fun as a 1991 Ford Tempo.
i had an '02 acura tl type s with the tiptronic for two days before i got my gs 4, the shifting was a little better in the acura than the lexus but from what i heard about those trannies on that car i couldnt run away fast enough

for some reason my gs 4 shifts kinda hard when using the m mode but i gotta play around with it some more, still waiting for my first race in this thing seems like no one wants to even try on my way home with the tl type s i had some punk in a civic try to race me, by the time i hit it into third the car was at like 70 mph and the civic was a long ways back in my rearview

as for shifting thru a turn who tought you how to drive i thought it was understood what others have said here about keeping your line and half way thru accelerate your way out.
Old 10-05-05, 11:01 AM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

i personally don't use my M shift on the 430 often. Maybe once in awhile just to get the feeling.

but if you have a 430 and you want to be able to take corners and stuff... just get yourself some sways, stb, and lsd and you should be able to drift the GS.

i saw a guy with a GS430 who had the 3.76 LSD drift around a corner perfectly. it was hotness.
Old 10-05-05, 11:12 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I shift my 430 manually all the time. I can shift with right hand and change radio stations with my left thumb at same time, around a turn makes the car feel way faster and lets the gears stretch out .it does shift a little harder when you do it manually, which is fine with me. the main thing to remember when shifting yourself is to do it early because there is a delay and you'll nail the rev limiter if you don't time it right.
Old 10-05-05, 11:40 AM
SUPRAboy80
Pole Position

Default wheel

Originally Posted by rominl
yes if you get the 01+ gs300 wheel, you will need airbag too

so will the wheel work with the eshift on my 400? and was that a yes I do need an RX330 airbag aswell.....something about the way the air bag plugs into the car..?
Old 10-05-05, 11:41 AM
SUPRAboy80
Pole Position

Originally Posted by svt5150
Yes, you are correct. Ask Henry (rominl) or search for it. An easier way would be to contach American Stitches and have them do a wood wheel for you. Runs about $400.

Do you have any pics of what this company's work looks like?
Old 10-05-05, 12:01 PM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SUPRAboy80
Do you have any pics of what this company's work looks like?
Their work is impeccable and can be seen on their web site. I have seen it in person as well and it is indestinguishable from OEM
Attached Thumbnails Where is the "paddle" shift on the 01 GS430?-lexusg-7e1.jpg  

Quick Reply: Where is the "paddle" shift on the 01 GS430?