GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Aftermarket Torque Converter and 45K Service

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-01, 08:05 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,309 Likes on 1,408 Posts

Has anyone with an aftermarket torque converter
gone through a Lexus dealer's 45K service? If so, did they give you any problems?

I've got SRT's Dragon aftermarket TC... and part of the 45K service is servicing the rear differential. My local dealer has been very cool about my aftermarket mods to date, but I'd like to hear from anyone else that may have already hit this milestone and any issues they had.

Thanks in advance.
David
Old 07-17-01, 07:45 AM
TMitchell
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DaveGS4
[B]Has anyone with an aftermarket torque converter
gone through a Lexus dealer's 45K service? If so, did they give you any problems?

Do you have to bring it to the dealer for the service? I always brought my 540I to an independant for the required services. He was less than half the price and was more knowledgeable about the car. I try not to go back to the dealership unless it involves something that broke under warranty.

Old 07-17-01, 04:55 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,309 Likes on 1,408 Posts

My GS was a pre-owned one bought from a dealer with the 100K warranty. While my mods probably prohibit me from making too many big engine or tranny claims, I like the service I've had so far, loaners, etc. I've never looked to see if there is any fine print on Lexus dealers doing the major service points in my warranty, but I don't have the inclination to look for that.

Having said that - the bigger issue would be finding a qualified independent service place in Charlotte. If I had that alternative, I'd likely take it. There are a couple of rice-focused speed shops I wouldn't trust to tune up my bike, and I've seen a couple others that do just Acura, BMW or Volvo. Everywhere else I've seen has been either something like a BP Procare or Johnny's roadside apple stand, garage, car wash and BBQ.

I've never done an exhaustive search for someone, just casual looking. Maybe I'll take another look just in case.
Old 07-17-01, 05:37 PM
TMitchell
Driver

I have no idea where I could bring my GS for service either, besides the dealer. I had 2 different BMW only independent shops for my 540i. I will probably ask them for places to go. When I needed the 30,000 mile service for the BMW the dealer wanted $800. The independent shop did it for $330.
Old 07-17-01, 05:37 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by DaveGS4
My GS was a pre-owned one bought from a dealer with the 100K warranty. While my mods probably prohibit me from making too many big engine or tranny claims, I like the service I've had so far, loaners, etc. I've never looked to see if there is any fine print on Lexus dealers doing the major service points in my warranty, but I don't have the inclination to look for that.

Having said that - the bigger issue would be finding a qualified independent service place in Charlotte. If I had that alternative, I'd likely take it. There are a couple of rice-focused speed shops I wouldn't trust to tune up my bike, and I've seen a couple others that do just Acura, BMW or Volvo. Everywhere else I've seen has been either something like a BP Procare or Johnny's roadside apple stand, garage, car wash and BBQ.

I've never done an exhaustive search for someone, just casual looking. Maybe I'll take another look just in case.
Well figured for me, lexus dealers saw my 20's and got annoyed Imagine I got the torque convertor, I probably need to call the cops for assault . Too bad you don't live in NYC, I can refer you to an excellant outside mechanic/bodyshop.

Old 07-18-01, 06:17 PM
Mark
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default DIESELMAN63

What is the Name of the Shop. I am from CT