GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Update on blackwood kit fitment/single exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-05, 04:25 PM
Cannonbear
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update on blackwood kit fitment/single exhaust

Well here are the pics of the gaps in the blackwood kit like i promised (so many months ago). again there's only two spots where its really noticiable.

Overall it's held up well, a little nick where i dropped my keys onto the center peice is there but that's my own fault. I wouldn't advise any sharp objects in cupholders, etc. The 3m tape holds it well and i haven't had any sagging or falling off.

Here's the first gap around the VSC button, really stands out but i don't there is much you can do about it.

Second gap on rear passenger door. It's small but its there.

As far as what others think, it's a mixed bag really. some think its as ricey as a fake hood scoop because of the fact it's a cap that fits over the old pieces. I've been told i have a lexus not a honda, etc. Others think its how the car should have came stock.

Also the exhaust trial is pretty much over with, as much as i like the look, the boat sound is getting to me and i'll probably trade up this january for a new exhaust. I've heard all kinds of opinions as well on this one, from great to rice , people get so heated about trying something new hehe. All in all, it was a good try, but something that i wouldn't recommend it, others have done it with success but the sound is quite off putting around town.

Also thanks to all who bought my parts off of me, my dog Byron's surgery went great.
Old 10-05-05, 09:12 PM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok ...are you the only person that bought these the first time around? no one else has said anything? no reviews?
Old 10-05-05, 09:58 PM
SUPRAboy80
Pole Position

If you buy a blackwood kit then don't you take off your wood parts and replace them with the black ones...? Not put the black ones over the wood ones?
Old 10-05-05, 10:21 PM
GS wanted
Lexus Champion

the blackwood kit he's referring to is a 3M adhesive overlay (stick-on) kit.
Old 10-05-05, 10:23 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

hey man, not really on the wood kit, but congrats that the surgery went well on your doggy! it is part of your family!
Old 10-05-05, 10:28 PM
GS wanted
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Cannonbear
Also the exhaust trial is pretty much over with, as much as i like the look, the boat sound is getting to me and i'll probably trade up this january for a new exhaust. I've heard all kinds of opinions as well on this one, from great to rice , people get so heated about trying something new hehe. All in all, it was a good try, but something that i wouldn't recommend it, others have done it with success but the sound is quite off putting around town.
it was definitely a mean agressive sounding exhaust with a unique look. i'd never seen the single left-sided exit. it's good to do the mods you want to try on your car.
Old 10-05-05, 11:55 PM
svt5150
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats good to know. I want the blackwood but dont want the stock wood showing through. I was planning on maybe spraying the stock black so if you saw anything it wouldnt show too much.
Old 10-06-05, 10:25 AM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

I was thinking of putting black electrical tape on the spots where you are able to see the old wood ,,,or paint it we'll see

are you in SoCal? I would love to see this in person
Old 10-06-05, 10:46 AM
ASPLS430
Pole Position

Default black wood kit

I just installed the kit from LuxuryMods and everything fits pretty good I dont have the problem with the button surround showing through. I do have very small gaps on the edges of the door panels especially the front ones. I heated all 4 with a heat gun before installing and it has that problem still, seems like the front are a tad, 1mm too short. Also noticed that after installing the ashtray cover and surround piece, the ashtray doesnt open right you kinda need to pull on it to get it out. Fits ok for $250.
Old 10-06-05, 10:55 AM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

post some pics bro!! we want to see
Old 10-06-05, 11:28 AM
jskim9
Rookie

I'd like to get LuxuryMod's response to this. I know the prices are cheap, but quality shouldn't be a sacrifice for it. LM has a great reputation here, but nothing's more valuable than a customer review.

Could it be that they just weren't installed correctly? Do you need to make sure that you line them up perfectly?
Old 10-06-05, 12:09 PM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

good questions
Old 10-06-05, 12:35 PM
svt5150
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm thinkin now if I am to do this I will probably go the real blackwood way and get the replacement pieces. I hope the tails turn out good tho.
Old 10-06-05, 08:11 PM
Cannonbear
Lexus Test Driver

i have the same ashtray problem, you have to kind of yank it out a bit to make it open.

the way i see it, this is more a temp solution at best, the pieces, while cool looking aren't nearly as nice as the actual blackwood pieces from an aristo. I may trade up later on for the real pieces.
Old 10-06-05, 08:30 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Cannonbear
i have the same ashtray problem, you have to kind of yank it out a bit to make it open.

the way i see it, this is more a temp solution at best, the pieces, while cool looking aren't nearly as nice as the actual blackwood pieces from an aristo. I may trade up later on for the real pieces.
well just keep in mind with the aristo pieces the center console one won't fit well

Quick Reply: Update on blackwood kit fitment/single exhaust