GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Must read: LAME DESIGN FLAWS OF THE 2ND GEN GS

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-01, 09:51 AM
Mark
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess we have to hall an extra set of keys with us
Attached Images  
Old 07-18-01, 09:52 AM
Ha-Ha

Originally posted by LexusLady
I agree with most of the above. But the one thing that I'd want changed on the GS, is better suspension (less body roll). Don't get me wrong, I love the GS, but it scares the hell out of me in curves!!! :eek:

C.
It would be nice if LEXUS could do better with body roll, but if this is still a big concern to you, have you considered in looking into upgraded sway bars? I don't know if there are any I'm just making suggestions.
Old 07-18-01, 10:39 AM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes, upgrade spring/strut, strut tower bar, maybe sways bar later, but I don't think you will need it unless you gonna autocross with this car ha ha ha

spring/strut and strut tower bar should cost you under 1K installed. just like buying a BMW with a sport suspension upgrade, just cheaper

Anh
Old 07-18-01, 10:42 AM
davezaristo
Lead Lap

That's a pretty ghetto mod banana...the shaving and drilling one..
Old 07-18-01, 10:52 AM
GSman
Pole Position

I agree that there needs to be a sunglass holder. I am a nonsmoker thus I do not use the lighter/ashtray under the radio. Has anyone seen a mod to convert this space to a sunglass holder? The ashtray portion comes out but the lighter looks like its fixed in.

Currently I slide out the cupholder divider and use the space as my sunglass holder and put in back in as needed.

Old 07-18-01, 11:35 AM
01BlueGS430
Rookie

1. no sunglasses holder....just put them in the door.

2. Side mirror tilt. Like to have this option, but then again I should also know the dimensions of my car.

3. No trunk release. Would be nice, but I've never been in a situation when I though "damn I wish I had that"

4. Door indicator- this would require a big ugly diagram of the car in the dash. This would also mean a redesign of the instrument panel. Personally, I like the design of the panel. Not worth it imho.

5. multi function steering wheel...got it.

6. trip comp. - my GS will track the miles I've run on a certain trip. w/o nav, what else do you want? I can calculate the miles/gal. time spent, and so forth. Want more info...get the nav.

7. HID - If you want HID's get them. You're going to pay for them anyway. Lexus can make them "standard", the only difference is that the price of the HIDs is included in the price of the car.

8. rear sunshade - window tint works for me.

9. wooden steering wheel - got it. Didn't know it wasn't an option on the GS3. It should be.

10. CD changer - I like it in the glove box.

11. Mulitple driver keys - not a bad feature. I'm the only driver of my car, so this one doesn't pertain to me, but the car does have seat/steering wheel/ mirror memory for 2 drivers. What else needs to be changed?

12. rain sensor - don't want it. I'll turn on the wipers when I want them on.

Have to agree w/ 1SLICKLEX - WHERE'S THE E-SHIFT????

Just my $.02
Old 07-18-01, 11:51 AM
cong28
Lead Lap

I don't know about you guys, but I don't smoke and I don't let anyone smoke in my car also, so I use the ash tray as my second coin holder that holds every coin except quarters and for the original small coin holder, I put quarters in there. So, there is some use for the smoke container if you don't smoke. I would like to see a sunglass holder also!
Old 07-18-01, 11:55 AM
ngl92663

Default Reply:

The biggest thing I noticed was the lame standard computer interface to show milage...average trip info...miles left in gas tank...etc....This seems so standard on every car and I didn't realize how much I would miss it until I got the Lex...

The Premium stereo (Nak..Lev) does make up for this though...It would be hard to find another car that has such a great sound as a factory option. Personally, I like the fact that the CD changer is in the glove. Less stuff for friends to mess with..
Old 07-18-01, 12:46 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Default No flames, just improvements

Only had my GS for a month so maybe I am not qualified for this but here goes.

1. Styling is growing on me, the closer you get the better it looks. Still thing the view from dead astern could use improvements.

2. Daytime running lights. Don't do much for me and I really doubt they make anybody safer. Unfortunately, in drivers school in April (before the GS) we were told that California will make them mandatory in 2002. Haven't seen this anywhere but the instructor told us it is one of the upcoming new laws.

3. Suspension - particulalry on the 430. If we have the L-tuned ECU on the 430 that is a good start (don't know where this stands on the investigation I don't have any complaints about the steering on mine) but I believe the suspension on at least the 430 should be firmed up all the way around. Don't mean to imply that the next GS needs to get more bimmer like. Lexus GS and bimmer 5 are two of the best cars in the world. Decision to buy one over the other is based on their differences, not their similarities. Just think the suspension on the GS should be more sport oriented. If not for both the 3 and 4, at least on the 4 or at least as part of a sport option on both, shouldn't require installing L tuned components afterward.

4. The dipping outside mirror? Not for me. I have had several bimmers and the whole idea behind this feature is that you are supposed to be able to watch the curb as you back. I can't say I ever really did that and if you don't want to watch the curb but want to watch up high like backing out of the garage, the tilting mirror is a negative.

5. Trip computer? Another one that is on most of the bimmers. You already get outside air temperature. So it can guesstimate how much left on the tank of gas and has a backward running odo. OK but not a big deal for me.

6. Rear sunshade might be nice. Not a deal breaker for me.

7. Keys. Part of me wants to suggest that they split the key into a key and fob setup but part says the current setup is convenient. However, the cost and time to get a replacement key, as posted elsewhere, is a concern. And if you lose both keys you are well and truly in deep doo doo. Anyone elses wife have a hard time keeping track of keys?

8. Still getting used to the electronics but sometimes this thing has a mind of its own. Do we have the "lock the doors at 5mph" setup on this? I have never exactly been a fan of that, probably learn to live with it.

9. Big issue for me on the next GS - don't screw up what works. This car has a remarkable combination of room and performance hopefully combined with bulletproof reliability. For me a safe car is one that accelerates, handles and stops well with no bad habits - not just thirty five airbags, brake assist, and high mounted brake lights. A luxury car should have what this car has and have bulletproof reliability and low maintenance. Sort of surprising that no one yet has mentioned free scheduled maintenance. Interesting on bimmers that when they didn't have scheduled maintenance, the computer would tell me to take the thing in about every eight weeks. Now that they are paying for maintenance, they don't want to see you. Think they improved the build quality and design that much? OK, so I am an oil change freak. Chump change to keep a motor running. But paying $500 every six months to get the ash tray lubed doesn't do it for me.

OK, so there's my two cents. If I were to add anything it might be to be careful with the OEM tires. Amazing how everyone including BMW and Merc can put trash on an otherwise fine car.

Ron
Old 07-18-01, 12:57 PM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

...Do we have the "lock the doors at 5mph" setup on this? I have never exactly been a fan of that, probably learn to live with it.

Ron - that's a computer setting that your dealer can change.
Old 07-18-01, 01:00 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Default Thank Goodness

I'll add it to the short list for the thirty day service. At least I give Lexus high marks for making it turn offable. Another FAQ - exactly what can they reprogram?

Ron
Old 07-18-01, 02:06 PM
TMitchell
Driver

Seat warmers suck, only 1 setting and I can,t tell if they are on or not. I can not remember the last time I had a car without a trip computer. I do alot of long distance driving and the trip computer gives you some thing to check to cut the boredom. I also own a 01 JeepGC LTD and it has considerably more features on it than the GS. I thought the Japanese were suppose to rule, as far as electronic gadgets on cars.
Old 07-18-01, 02:15 PM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Thank Goodness

Originally posted by RON430
I'll add it to the short list for the thirty day service. At least I give Lexus high marks for making it turn offable. Another FAQ - exactly what can they reprogram?

Ron
Ron,

Here's the text file with the whole c-best list.

Attached Files
File Type: txt
c-best.txt (10.2 KB, 136 views)
Old 07-18-01, 02:15 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Default genearch

Thank you very much. Live and learn.

Ron
Old 07-18-01, 02:34 PM
T66Supra

You guys missed the most impotant thing, a TRD/L-Sport version of the car with upgraded wheels/tires, suspension and 410 HP (10 more than the M5) with an available 6speed transmission to kill the M5, E55 and Jaguar XJR. I wish Toyota had the ***** to bring a car like that here and show the world what they are capable of.

Lets face it they could either do a Supercharger on the V8, like Jaguar, or bring a version of the 2JZGTE from the Aristo with a bit more boost (~14 PSI would yield 400+ HP). They already have a kickass 6speed transmission (Getrag from the Supra) they could use for the car.

Quick Reply: Must read: LAME DESIGN FLAWS OF THE 2ND GEN GS