GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Must read: LAME DESIGN FLAWS OF THE 2ND GEN GS

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-01, 07:54 PM
davezaristo
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, this post is made to flame our GS despite that I am a proud owner of a 01 GS300. They could be minor or major design flaws to different ppl, but I find them quite annoying not having, especially for a car in this price segment. I am not trying to hurt anyone's feeling or be a flamer. I just want to state my perspective after owning this car for 6 months. I won't brag about our GS since the board has already done that, and it would be an overkill if I do. Pls feel free to input your honest opinions. Perhaps, maybe we can send this post to Lexus HQ so that they can come up with a better 3rd GEN GS.

P.S. Part of this list doesn't pertain to the JDM Aristo..but we don't get the Aristo so we have every right to complain!

Here's the list (Compiled by Me and ARIST):

1. No sunglasses holder on the overhead (Camry has it!)
2. Side mirror doesn't tilt down when engage in reverse (BMW had this since 92!)
3. No trunk release at the trunk (imagine what a pain in the *** when your mom had to ask you to open the trunk after grocery shopping)
4. Door indicator doesn't say "which" door/trunk is open or close (My ex-1988 Accord had this feature)
5. No multifuction steering wheel
6. No trip computer (for those w/o navi)
7. HID not standard (and they are in the IS..wtf?)
8. No rear sunshade (not even an option!)
9. No wooden steering wheel option (except for GS4..hmm, I saw wooden steering wheel in a camry!)
10.CD changer still inside glove compartment..(geez, even the 01 accord has 6 disc in-dash changer)
11.No multiple driver keys (FYI, even the 3 series has this...it automatically retrieve individual settings as soon as the key is in)
12.No rain sensor for windshield wipers ((my uncle's Hyundai Trajet (a family van no sold in US) has that...but remember, we are talking HYUNDAI here!!..))

Well that's it for now...I truly think that these complains are legitimate for a 40k-50k car. Afterall, I still love my car..but I won't get another GS until they fix all these!

Old 07-17-01, 08:59 PM
ceoart
Pole Position

Cool

You left out the coin holder on the GS430. Can't put a reasonable amount of quarters in their for tolls. Also when you open coin holder when moving all the quarters fall out on to the fall and roll under the seat if you hit a small bump. I guess they don't have toll roads in Japan :eek:
Old 07-17-01, 09:20 PM
Aristov3o0
Pole Position

Default 3. No trunk release at the trunk (imagine what a pain in the *** when your mom had to

I dont understand what you mean, there is a truck release on the key, inside the car and you can open it through the key hole in the truck
Old 07-17-01, 09:23 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Davezaristo - Hmmm, I have to agree with you on everything there...the no reverse mirror tilt thing, the HID's not being standard, no wood steering wheel option (at least in some areas), and no in-dash CD changer are my biggest irks...oh well, guess I'll have to wait to Gen 3 of the GS... Seriously though, Lexus needs to add this **** AND MORE.
Old 07-17-01, 10:30 PM
ARIST
Rookie

Aristov3o0, that one about the truck release button is my call. I know BMW, VW, and even the Intrgra has it... a button on the truck lid that lets you open the truck from outside the car when you don't have the key and the car is unlocked.

Classic scenario: it's raining, your car is parked outside, unlocked, your hands holding a box, you try to put the box into the truck, can't just open the truck but instead have to go over to the driver side, put the box down on the wet ground, open the driver side door, click that stupid button, pick up the box, put the **** in... i mean, can't they just simply put a switch in our $40k+ family car?

enough...

- ARIST
Old 07-17-01, 11:17 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

alot of these are valid, but again alot of people will argue that they rather not have them:

- I don't use sunglasses alot, so I would rather have that place with the homelink.

3. No trunk release at the trunk (imagine what a pain in the *** when your mom had to ask you to open the trunk after grocery shopping)
- ABSOLUTELY. it'll me much easier with a button.

- I like a clean steering wheel with no buttons

- alot of cars have them as options, like BMWs.

- They're standard on newer cars, like brand new 2001 model cars like the IS. So 3rd gen, maybe even 2002 GS will have them standard. who knows.

- Rear sunshade is actually pretty dangerous. My bro's E320 has them and it's very hard to see through.

9. No wooden steering wheel option (except for GS4..hmm, I saw wooden steering wheel in a camry!)
- I don't like wood steering wheels.

10.CD changer still inside glove compartment..(geez, even the 01 accord has 6 disc in-dash changer)
- It's easier to pull out a whole magazine rather than having to take out the CDs one by one.

11.No multiple driver keys (FYI, even the 3 series has this...it automatically retrieve individual settings as soon as the key is in)
- It's not a loaner car

12.No rain sensor for windshield wipers ((my uncle's Hyundai Trajet (a family van no sold in US) has that...but remember, we are talking HYUNDAI here!!..))
- It'll scare you when it just comes up all of a sudden.

just my 3 cents.
Old 07-17-01, 11:20 PM
-Lexus-GS400-
Rookie

Still love my gs400 even though it does not have that features...

One thing it does need is radio controls in the steering wheel...
Old 07-17-01, 11:35 PM
salimshah

Received 1,057 Likes on 954 Posts

None of the items listed fall under DESIGN FLAWS. Maybe the intent was to list Features You Would Like to See Inc. in GS line.

Did grab my attention!

Salim
Old 07-18-01, 01:28 AM
davezaristo
Lead Lap

Salim got a point..maybe I shouldn't consider them as design flaws...but missing features on a 40-50k car!

Globeclk-in regards to sunglasses, homelink and sunglasses holder do co-exist in many cars...check out the 01 accord or 01 highlander as an example...
-I am not going to comment on your other points eventhough I totally disagree..but i do respect your different perspective....

Old 07-18-01, 04:36 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Lessee......standard HID.....got that. Wood wheel........got that. Controls on steering wheel........got that. Sunglasses holder..........don't got that, but my wife's 99 RX (interestingly enough) has both Homelink and sunglass holder, so we know Lexus has heard of it. Bigger change holder.....well, no toll roads here and I don't like things rattling to begin with, so........no problem here. Trip computer.......no argument there, but since none of my cars have ever had one, don't miss it. Sunscreen??? Got tint, like that better. Button on the trunk? Agreed, but then, we don't have that wart sticking out, either. CD changer? I agree with Globe.......I change out my CDs from what's in my house, IN the house. Seems easier to me but I could probably get used to other.

310 hp/325 lb-ft? Oh, YEAH!!! Got that!!!!! Unparalleled luxury for the money?? Got that, too.

I'm happy now.

We should also remember that different design cycles account for some of this, marketing decisions others.
Old 07-18-01, 04:54 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by davezaristo
Okay, this post is made to flame our GS despite that I am a proud owner of a 01 GS300. They could be minor or major design flaws to different ppl, but I find them quite annoying not having, especially for a car in this price segment. I am not trying to hurt anyone's feeling or be a flamer. I just want to state my perspective after owning this car for 6 months. I won't brag about our GS since the board has already done that, and it would be an overkill if I do. Pls feel free to input your honest opinions. Perhaps, maybe we can send this post to Lexus HQ so that they can come up with a better 3rd GEN GS.

P.S. Part of this list doesn't pertain to the JDM Aristo..but we don't get the Aristo so we have every right to complain!

Here's the list (Compiled by Me and ARIST):

2. Side mirror doesn't tilt down when engage in reverse (BMW had this since 92!)
4. Door indicator doesn't say "which" door/trunk is open or close (My ex-1988 Accord had this feature)

Well that's it for now...I truly think that these complains are legitimate for a 40k-50k car. Afterall, I still love my car..but I won't get another GS until they fix all these!

I agree with you on #2, and #9 the most. We should have the wood steering wheel and the side mirror should tilt downwards. Though HID is finally standard now on the newer GS's. But IMO the others you listed is very minor that I can live without.

Put it this way, would I rather have all those options and take away my 300 HP and go from 0-60 in 5.7 secs in which its the fastest non-modified sedan in the world?
Old 07-18-01, 06:40 AM
LexusLady
Pole Position

I agree with most of the above. But the one thing that I'd want changed on the GS, is better suspension (less body roll). Don't get me wrong, I love the GS, but it scares the hell out of me in curves!!! :eek:

C.
Old 07-18-01, 07:26 AM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

"No trunk release at the trunk (imagine what a pain in the *** when your mom had to ask you to open the trunk after grocery shopping) "

I still don't get this, you can use the remote (on the key)to open the trunk right? so why do you need a extra switch?
I am missing something here, need more coffee

Old 07-18-01, 08:36 AM
davezaristo
Lead Lap

Let me reiterate about the trunk release situation...

i.e. say you had to pick up some beer at the mini-mart and you left your keys in there for your gf or you buddy to listen to the stereo...Not only the 6 pack, but you came back with bags of other stuff. If you had the trunk release, you could just open the trunk and put your stuff in and ready to roll. Without the trunk release, you will either 1. Ask your gf or buddy to open the trunk for you (assuming that they can figure it out) and takes alot of yelling and screaming, or 2. Go press the remote trunk on the key or inside the car which means you have to put your bags of stuff on the ground, get inside the car, come back out and then put the stuff in...For those who like a little extra workout, this maybe a good idea. BUT for a 40-50k car, this is a flop considering a 20k car has this feature! Best example is to go check out a 99 and up 3-series...they did a wonderful job on integrating that at the trunk without anything sticking out.
Old 07-18-01, 09:13 AM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

hee hee
OK, new mod for you. drill a small hole where the license plate lights are. Put in a nice push switch, a couple bux , wire this switch so that it's only have power when the door is unlock

because if the door is lock, you wouldn't want anyone to be able to open your trunk anyway.

for me, i disconnected the button in the car, shaved the trunk key hole, the only way to open the trunk is through the remote (and my special backup)

now, i can leave something valueable in the trunk (for example stereo system) w/o worry about someone gonna jack it

next project, lock the hood
:eek:

Anh

Quick Reply: Must read: LAME DESIGN FLAWS OF THE 2ND GEN GS