GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Mirror mounted turn signals

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-06, 10:21 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

why can't you just go through the factory wire tube? it still has plenty of space in it. get a metal coat hanger or hard metal wire, feel it through, tie the led wires, and then pull it through the tube
Old 05-02-06, 12:51 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Not that simple....i think there is a fuse box right where the rubber tube to the car is.

Pete
Old 05-02-06, 08:02 AM
svt5150
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Arent some US spec ones coming out soon anyways?
Old 05-02-06, 09:22 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by PHML
Not that simple....i think there is a fuse box right where the rubber tube to the car is.

Pete
still i think it's very much doable. rmmgs4 ran tons of wires through that, and for example the the lmw luxlink they go through there easily too. if it's just 2 wires, i think it should be fine
Old 05-02-06, 10:25 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Oh yah...the 2 wires in the rubber tubing is not a problem. Its when you try to pull the 2 wires into the car....you may need to remove your kick panel and the fuse box to finish pulling the wires throught the rubber tubing into the car.

Pete
Old 05-02-06, 10:27 AM
Dennis-C
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is what they look like on my car

Old 05-02-06, 10:29 AM
Dennis-C
Pole Position

Old 05-02-06, 10:48 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Dennis...nice covers there. Is that positive camber in the 2nd pic? LOL

Oh, we talking about running the wires through the door rubber tubing to the 2GS....there was something blocking the path to the car....probably a fuse box.

Pete
Old 05-02-06, 11:54 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
still i think it's very much doable. rmmgs4 ran tons of wires through that, and for example the the lmw luxlink they go through there easily too. if it's just 2 wires, i think it should be fine
Yup, been there done that.

You only need to run one wire into the car, since the other can be grounded to a spot in the door itself.

The fuse box is in the path of the rubber tube in the door jamb.

Just pull the rubber tube out of the door jamb and fish a coat hangar from the door jamb side. There are actually several openings in and around the fuse block for the wire to come out of. It's not difficult as long as you take out the plastic side panel. Attach a small length of wire to the tip of the hangar with electric tape and then you can easily grab it when you fish. Then you have a "pull" wire that can be used to run other wire through it.

From there you run the wire to the REAR of the car and tap into the REAR turn signal wire right before it goes into the bulb. You can also trace the color back to the harness and tap into it along the harness.

OCEAN350, where are you in the bay area? Never seen you at any of our meets. If you hang with your homies, we got most of what you need to know. The core group alone (5 people) has 25 years of modding experience on the GS.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 05-02-06 at 12:04 PM.
Old 05-02-06, 12:04 PM
ocean350
Driver

i'm in Santa clara,
i was planning to meet you guys on April 22. But jet-lag got me...and i couldnt get my *** off the bed. (since i just got back on the 18th) next time, i promise.

for the wiring, it looks like i am stuck with the metal part of the door and i cant get to the wire tube on the door. that means, there are 2 layers of cover on the door, the first layer is easy to remove, the door panel cover. The second layer is the metal cover, and i believe the wire tube is protected under the metal part, which takes time to open it up.
that's why i plan to sneak thru some space from the door into the engine compartment and then run the wire into the odometer side.
if any of you guys know how to solve my problem and you are in bay area, please give me a call and walk me thru the wiring detail. or le me a # and i can call you up.

thanks a lot!
-James @408-427-2714
Old 05-02-06, 12:06 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ocean350
i'm in Santa clara,
i was planning to meet you guys on April 22. But jet-lag got me...and i couldnt get my *** off the bed. (since i just got back on the 18th) next time, i promise.

for the wiring, it looks like i am stuck with the metal part of the door and i cant get to the wire tube on the door.
that's why i plan to sneak thru some space from the door into the engine compartment and then run the wire into the odometer side.
if any of you guys know how to solve my problem and you are in bay area, please give me a call and walk me thru the wiring detail. or le me a # and i can call you up.

thanks a lot!
-James @408-427-2714

DOH, I'm in Santa Clara every day.

I'll pm my number. Just stop by the house.
Old 05-02-06, 12:29 PM
Dennis-C
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PHML
Dennis...nice covers there. Is that positive camber in the 2nd pic? LOL

Oh, we talking about running the wires through the door rubber tubing to the 2GS....there was something blocking the path to the car....probably a fuse box.

Pete
Oops, haha. I should have read all 5 pages I guess...The easiest way is just to take the door off.
Old 05-02-06, 02:03 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i'm in Santa clara,

for the wiring, it looks like i am stuck with the metal part of the door and i cant get to the wire tube on the door. that means, there are 2 layers of cover on the door, the first layer is easy to remove, the door panel cover. The second layer is the metal cover, and i believe the wire tube is protected under the metal part, which takes time to open it up.

thanks a lot!
-James @408-427-2714
here's a great great suggestion, give glen (rmmgs4) a hola, and just go over to his place

btw, i live in santa clara as well
Old 05-02-06, 02:41 PM
ocean350
Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
here's a great great suggestion, give glen (rmmgs4) a hola, and just go over to his place

btw, i live in santa clara as well
i did. Glen is very helpful.
i did get a good idea about the wiring.
however, that only takes care of my left side wiring.
i forget to ask Glen how to wire my right side.
he told me he did wire the LED into the trunk area and hook up to the back turn signal wire.
i plan to wire the LED to the odometer's right turn signal wire.
has anyone done this route of wiring?
i wonder if i can go under/around the center console from right side mirror into odometer.

thanks,

Last edited by ocean350; 05-02-06 at 02:53 PM.
Old 05-02-06, 11:32 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i did. Glen is very helpful.
i did get a good idea about the wiring.
however, that only takes care of my left side wiring.
i forget to ask Glen how to wire my right side.
he told me he did wire the LED into the trunk area and hook up to the back turn signal wire.
i plan to wire the LED to the odometer's right turn signal wire.
has anyone done this route of wiring?
i wonder if i can go under/around the center console from right side mirror into odometer.

thanks,
i remember him running audio wires from left to right, but he said it's tight though. don't worry, just clal him again