GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

How do I remove the trunk bar for the chrome replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-05, 12:18 PM
soyhead
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I remove the trunk bar for the chrome replacement?

tried searching the site for a thread but couldnt find anything useful.

bought a chrome trunk bar and want to take the stock one off, what would be the best way to go about this? should i pop the trunk liner and try pushing the old one out from there? or should i use a thin screw driver and a rag and pry the old one off? it came with instructions but they are in japanese
Old 10-08-05, 02:43 PM
e-diddy
Lead Lap

I did this mod couple of weeks ago. Very simple.

Just simply remove the inner trunk lid liner. There are two or four (can't remember) 10mm nuts to remove and then just simply push the oem bar out. Kind of snaps out of place.

Then basically reverse the steps for installation of the new one. You will need the bolts from the oem bar for installation of the new one.

Just be patient and good luck.
Old 10-08-05, 03:26 PM
soyhead
Driver

Originally Posted by e-diddy

Just simply remove the inner trunk lid liner. There are two or four (can't remember) 10mm nuts to remove and then just simply push the oem bar out. Kind of snaps out of place.

Then basically reverse the steps for installation of the new one. You will need the bolts from the oem bar for installation of the new one.

thanks hope the rain holds off for a bit and i can do it tomorrow before football starts
Old 10-08-05, 06:08 PM
TexasGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by e-diddy

What he said I just did it yesterday. You will have to remove about 20 of those plastic hold down devices. If you don't have one of those slotted removal tools, I would go to Pep Boys, or what ever, and pick one up. It will make removing those very easy. Then basically you take that whole thing out and you will remove 4 10mm bolts. Pop it out and reverse the process to put the new one on. The hardest part is the emergency release handle trim does not want to let go. Good luck. It will look sweet.
Old 10-08-05, 06:33 PM
soyhead
Driver

Originally Posted by TexasGS
What he said I just did it yesterday. You will have to remove about 20 of those plastic hold down devices. If you don't have one of those slotted removal tools, I would go to Pep Boys, or what ever, and pick one up. It will make removing those very easy.
i'll swing by my uncles house than because hes a glass guy and has that tool, thanks for the tip
Old 10-09-05, 05:56 AM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

e-diddy & TexasGS,
Any pointers on getting the emergency release handle trim off, I remeber last year Itried to take that off to check the wiring I about broke so I stopped

Last edited by GILLEXUS; 10-09-05 at 05:57 AM. Reason: ewr
Old 10-09-05, 07:05 AM
TexasGS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GILLEXUS
e-diddy & TexasGS,
Any pointers on getting the emergency release handle trim off, I remeber last year Itried to take that off to check the wiring I about broke so I stopped
Man I could not get that trim off. I pretty much left it on and just pulled back the cover so I could reach the bolts. I had to take both of the center bolts off from the right side because the cover was still stuck on that emergency release handle. I got all the bolts off and put the new bar on no problem. When I started to put the center bolts on the cover finally let go and came completly off. It ended up ripping the cover about 1" at the corner of the emergency release handle and that was enough to let it loose. Once it all came down I took a look at the trim for that thing to see how it was held on. There are a couple of those "push in" release tab thingies holding it in. I tried to push those in and pull the thing down and it just would not let go. I was able to get half of the that trim down which allowed me to get the cover back in there. I then pushed it all back together and put back all the hold down clips. You should be able to do it without having to remove that cover. Just take the left bolt off from the left side then go over to the right side and you will be able to pull the cover down enough to get to both of the center bolts. You will need a small extention on your ratchet to reach. Also, when you put the new one on, make sure you push it tightly so that it seats flush agains the trunk. Then do the final tighten of the bolts. You will know what I mean when you do it. Good luck.
Old 10-09-05, 08:14 AM
soyhead
Driver

thanks for the tips, just installed it in less than 10 min

my cover was cut around the pull handle as well and that wasnt a problem at all...also taking those tabs off was easy as hell and i didnt need any special tools.

my only ? is those two lights, they are not flush against the piece correct? they have a slight curve to them and they are not flush at either end but are in the center
Old 10-09-05, 09:05 AM
TexasGS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by soyhead
thanks for the tips, just installed it in less than 10 min

my cover was cut around the pull handle as well and that wasnt a problem at all...also taking those tabs off was easy as hell and i didnt need any special tools.

my only ? is those two lights, they are not flush against the piece correct? they have a slight curve to them and they are not flush at either end but are in the center
Yea, mine looks like that as well. I notice it looked like that on the OEM trunk bar as well. I guess that is just the way it is
Old 10-09-05, 09:28 AM
soyhead
Driver

Originally Posted by TexasGS
Yea, mine looks like that as well. I notice it looked like that on the OEM trunk bar as well. I guess that is just the way it is
cool just wanted to make sure i didnt mess up, it was so easy i figured i had to have done something wrong