GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Subwoofer install Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-05, 09:04 PM
bighitbike
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Subwoofer install Help!!

Hey guys im going to install a kicker 12" L7 subwoofer in the trunk of my 1999 GS300 with nav above the gas tank with it pointing up through the hole where the old sub was. I will be powering this with a 600 watt 2 channel amp bridged to the sub. But i need to know how to get power to the amp! Can i just like tap into some power supply or something. I dont know where my other amp is I think it is in the trunk because on the right side next to the tire there is a black box that looks like it could be an amp. But did the amp only power the old sub or did it provide power for the whole car. Where should I install my new amp? I a real newb when it comes to wiring but i can learn. I just need to know who to power the amp. I know how to wire the sub to it just how in the hell do i get wires to the battery or whereever i need them to go?
Thanks in advance

BTW I was going to post this in the audio but I didn't think it was too active and thought you guys could be of more help. If you need to move it mods feel free too.
Old 10-09-05, 09:45 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

You should run a power wire from the battery all the way to the back trunk area.
Old 10-10-05, 07:30 AM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

yup run the power from the battery ....check this site

its a http://lexusmodz.netfirms.com/ to bananags' diy site - Interior/mod#6
Old 10-10-05, 08:04 AM
angelslex
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ight=angelslex This is the set up I did for my 99 GS400 . This is the set up finished with the cap and the amps showing https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ight=angelslex. In tghis one it shows you the wiring https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ight=angelslex
Old 10-10-05, 04:39 PM
bighitbike
Lexus Champion

Guys im actually total newb when it comes to this. How do i run it back to the trunk and how do i connect it to the battery.
Old 10-10-05, 06:13 PM
Niloy63
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got two 12" Alpine type R subs running through a 600-watt DB amplifier. And it sounds amazing with the Mark Levinson mids and highs. I'm sure your subs will kick just as well. Congrats! Hope it goes well!
Old 10-10-05, 06:56 PM
jskim9
Rookie

Originally Posted by rgarjr
You should run a power wire from the battery all the way to the back trunk area.
I think you have to run a separate line. I doubt the stock amp's power line is enough. I don't know what kinda amp you're running, but if you're the kind of guy who has two L7's, I imagine you'd get a good amp, which means for 600watts, you need about 40-50amps, so you'll need at least a 4 gauge wire considering the length you're running. For optimal performance, run an equal wire and ground it directly to the battery.
Old 10-10-05, 10:23 PM
bighitbike
Lexus Champion

Where do i exactly hook the wire up too? Do i like solder it to the batt or what? And how do i get it to the battery? I know i have to run fuses and stuff but where do i run it.
Old 10-10-05, 10:45 PM
jskim9
Rookie

sounds like you've never done this. Go to Sound Domain

Search for an "amp kit" or amp install kit. Get it, it'll have everything you need. fuse and fuse holder, wires, clamp kits, etc.
Old 10-10-05, 11:57 PM
Indio
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bighitbike
Hey guys im going to install a kicker 12" L7 subwoofer in the trunk of my 1999 GS300 with nav above the gas tank with it pointing up through the hole where the old sub was. I will be powering this with a 600 watt 2 channel amp bridged to the sub. But i need to know how to get power to the amp! Can i just like tap into some power supply or something. I dont know where my other amp is I think it is in the trunk because on the right side next to the tire there is a black box that looks like it could be an amp. But did the amp only power the old sub or did it provide power for the whole car. Where should I install my new amp? I a real newb when it comes to wiring but i can learn. I just need to know who to power the amp. I know how to wire the sub to it just how in the hell do i get wires to the battery or whereever i need them to go?
Thanks in advance

BTW I was going to post this in the audio but I didn't think it was too active and thought you guys could be of more help. If you need to move it mods feel free too.

Most likely that black box next to the tire is your nav computer. the Pioneer amp is up front behind the glove box, see the lower right corner of the pic below , is this the black box you were referring to? Man it really sounds like you should take this to a shop and let them finish, one mistake and this will cost you much more than a good install.

Old 10-11-05, 04:28 PM
bighitbike
Lexus Champion

How much will that installation probably cost?
Old 01-24-06, 01:07 PM
edfrsd
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im planning on installing a sub in my 99 GS4 but not sure if I should get an amp to only power the sub or would I need to get a 5 channel to power the sub along with the other stock speaker? I dont have ML but have the Navi.

So far I just have a Kicker S10L5 in a vented box along with my stock speakers..

Also not sure if and what the factory amp is powering.

Any advice would be helpful, so thanks in advance.

Last edited by edfrsd; 01-24-06 at 01:26 PM.
Old 01-24-06, 01:49 PM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

you can just power the sub... use a LLC (line level converter) on the subwoofer wires in the trunk and connect that to the amp. You can keep the stock speakers and factory amp running as is.
Old 01-24-06, 02:15 PM
Mr GS400
Pole Position

Simply buy a sub woofer amplifier wiring kit. There are many available. They typically include 4, 6 or 8 gauge wire, all the terminations, a fuse w/ holder, a remote power-on wire if your head unit provides the signal, etc. etc.

I did mine a few months ago when I installed a Kicker Comp 10 w/ a Pioneer Bridgeable amp.

You'll route the wire usally under the door sills (typically right side) facia and then behind the rear seat to the trunk area. It's pretty straightforward.

Good Luck!