GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Steering wheel shakes! When putting on 20inches! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-05, 08:46 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,399 Likes on 1,572 Posts

Originally Posted by OutlawTita
To completely eliminate this problem you have to spin balance each wheel while it is on the car. I paid $15 per wheel and now there is zero shimmy at any speed.
Yes, an on car high speed balance is the best balance you can get because it takes the suspension and other components into account.

But as far as this subject in general, been there done that. There's a BUNCH of factors involved.

But non-hubcentric rims, even with rings, particularly if big and heavy and not a high end brand, are likely to cause shaking. A $500 20" cast 'generic' rim is just not going to be as evenly balanced (WITHOUT WEIGHTS) as a high quality forged $1000 rim.

I had 'generic' 18's that I couldn't get completely smooth despite adding rings, balancing, aligning, new tires, etc. Sure there's been other 'solutions' since then (steering rack, bushings, etc.) but they were obviously not the issue for me because when I went to quality hub-centric 19" rims I have NO balance problems - smooth at all speeds.

So there's no silver bullet solution. If you have a tight budget for rims, there's a fair chance you're going to have vibrations at one speed or another.
Old 10-16-05, 05:01 PM
STONER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Yes, an on car high speed balance is the best balance you can get because it takes the suspension and other components into account.

But as far as this subject in general, been there done that. There's a BUNCH of factors involved.

But non-hubcentric rims, even with rings, particularly if big and heavy and not a high end brand, are likely to cause shaking. A $500 20" cast 'generic' rim is just not going to be as evenly balanced (WITHOUT WEIGHTS) as a high quality forged $1000 rim.

I had 'generic' 18's that I couldn't get completely smooth despite adding rings, balancing, aligning, new tires, etc. Sure there's been other 'solutions' since then (steering rack, bushings, etc.) but they were obviously not the issue for me because when I went to quality hub-centric 19" rims I have NO balance problems - smooth at all speeds.

So there's no silver bullet solution. If you have a tight budget for rims, there's a fair chance you're going to have vibrations at one speed or another.
How bout the vibration with the stockers though?
Old 10-16-05, 09:34 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,399 Likes on 1,572 Posts

Originally Posted by STONER
How bout the vibration with the stockers though?
Can still be many factors.

Bad balance
Bad alignment
Bad tires (even new ones could be out of round - or uneven wear)
Bent rims
Bad suspension
Bad steering
Bad brakes

(Usually check in that order)
Old 10-17-05, 05:25 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by STONER
This topic has been discussed half to death in the short time that I've been here. There are a number of possible causes, and at least as many recommended solutions. The fact is, that there is a problem with the GS causing a vibration on MANY vehicles at or around 60 mph. Both rominl and lexforlife have done the Daizen bushing replacement, and that seems to be the best solution to date. You can do a search on that as well. I have the vibration and every couple of weeks I loosen and retighten the lugs in a star pattern to torque spec. I also had the lower ball joints replaced (because they were bad, not as a solution to the vibration). I'm saving my pennies for the bushing replacement labor cost, but will probably wait until I get rims in the spring. I don't think I need it before winter here in VA.

Good Luck

as stoner quoted above , the daizen bushing replacement is the way... the castor.or strut rod arm as some call it has a bushing within that is the worst design for perf .. it has loads of play built into into for luxury.. when the bushing flexs it allows the arm to allow for movement which allows the steering knuckle to move while in motion.. because we have no castor adjustment, this bushing can throw your alignment settings off while driving and your castor also affects your camber , toe and sai. this explains why sometimes you have shimmy and sometimes its almost perfect.. thats not a balance issue nor alignment.. it changes depending on road surface and how the bushing is moving within the arm..

since doing the swap just like rominl , i am 99.9% vibration and shimmy free (the 1% will always be there with aftermarket larger stuff ).. when going 19-20 in that creates a contact patch area about 30% larger then 17in did and the susp was never designed for that so it will accelerate and amplify the disitortion you feel

get the daizen kit , bite the bullet and do the upgrade , and drive happy
Old 10-19-05, 04:37 AM
daleer
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

romini I don't know how they were balanced - just that I've had them balanced at 2 different tire shops - I guess that I thought all types of balancing were the same.

Stoner I do have the full daizen sway bars including bushings - I got the kit about 6 months ago so I don't know if they're the bushings you're referring to or not.
Old 10-19-05, 05:13 AM
STONER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by daleer
romini I don't know how they were balanced - just that I've had them balanced at 2 different tire shops - I guess that I thought all types of balancing were the same.

Stoner I do have the full daizen sway bars including bushings - I got the kit about 6 months ago so I don't know if they're the bushings you're referring to or not.
The bushings that came with the sway bars are not the ones that seem to cure the shimmy.
Old 12-03-05, 09:40 PM
AustinGS4
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question hub rings

Originally Posted by rominl
how were the wheels balanced? on hunter machines with road force analysis? that's the key
I can't figure out how to start a thread so I hope you don't mind me asking you a question Henry. I am confident that I need hub rings to eliminate the vibration I now have with new rims.
There are lots of different sizes out there so how do I figure out what size hub ring I need. I went to Discount Tire and they didn't have the right size. I went into a wheel retailer and they didn't either. I called the wheel manufacturer and they were no help except to tell me the bore size of my rims. I called Lexus of Austin to find out my hub size and the guy in the parts dept. had no idea. I am at my wits end. What do I need to do? I have searched all over CL for the answer and cannot find the answers anywhere.

Please help.

thank you,

Carle