GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Steering wheel shakes! When putting on 20inches! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-05, 09:50 AM
MVP GS3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Steering wheel shakes! When putting on 20inches! Help!

after installing 20 inch rims last year, I dont know if this is a problem or if its normal, My steering wheel starts to shakes when speeding about 60, after hitting 80 the steering wheel barely shakes. Also everytime when exiting the freeway and comming to a stop My steering wheels starts to shake... I did an alignment but it still continue to shake, I dont know if this is normal because of bigger wheels? or will this lead to bigger problems, The lexus dealer told me to slap back on the stock rims and I should be fine, So I'm thinking of taking of my rims and sell it!.
If anyone know how to fix the problem or exprience this problem let me know!! Thanks in advance!
Old 10-10-05, 10:18 AM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MVP GS3
after installing 20 inch rims last year, I dont know if this is a problem or if its normal, My steering wheel starts to shakes when speeding about 60, after hitting 80 the steering wheel barely shakes. Also everytime when exiting the freeway and comming to a stop My steering wheels starts to shake... I did an alignment but it still continue to shake, I dont know if this is normal because of bigger wheels? or will this lead to bigger problems, The lexus dealer told me to slap back on the stock rims and I should be fine, So I'm thinking of taking of my rims and sell it!.
If anyone know how to fix the problem or exprience this problem let me know!! Thanks in advance!
Check balance of the wheels.
Old 10-10-05, 10:21 AM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ChronoJ1
Check balance of the wheels.
yes its your balancing ..you need to get high speed balance done ... after that you should be fine
Old 10-10-05, 10:21 AM
GS3T
Lead Lap

check balance and your rims may require hub centric rings
Old 10-10-05, 11:11 AM
svt5150
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If not the above, check the bushings also. Daizen just released some and it has gotten rid of alot of that also.
Old 10-10-05, 11:13 AM
MVP GS3
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone! Great help! Where can I get a High-Speed Balancing? and What is the cost of doing that? also forgot to mention that the lexus dealer told me to change out my low ball joint to get rid of the shaking? true not true?
Old 10-10-05, 12:59 PM
dwoods420
Lead Lap

Hello,
I had the same problem when I had 20". You probably do NOT need a high speed balance. Everyone told me the same. Had it done at 3 different shops, and it did not fix the problem. Finally someone at the rim shop said maybe you need hub centric rings. I wanted to kill them for not telling me I needed them this whole time. Bought them and they fixed the problem.
What rims do you have? Do you know the i.d. centerbore of the rim? I bet you need the rings.
But even after buying the rings the car does not driver as nice as with the stock or 18" rims on the car. I have 18" now and I will not go any bigger. It just messes up the ride quality.
That is my 2 cents.
Old 10-10-05, 01:25 PM
MVP GS3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dwoods420
Hello,
I had the same problem when I had 20". You probably do NOT need a high speed balance. Everyone told me the same. Had it done at 3 different shops, and it did not fix the problem. Finally someone at the rim shop said maybe you need hub centric rings. I wanted to kill them for not telling me I needed them this whole time. Bought them and they fixed the problem.
What rims do you have? Do you know the i.d. centerbore of the rim? I bet you need the rings.
But even after buying the rings the car does not driver as nice as with the stock or 18" rims on the car. I have 18" now and I will not go any bigger. It just messes up the ride quality.
That is my 2 cents.
Alright! Thanks bro! How much are the hub centric rings? I don't know what to do I'm thinkin of just going back to stock so I dont have to deal with all that crap.
Old 10-10-05, 01:29 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i would sya it's about balancing as well. i have zero issues with mine
Old 10-10-05, 01:39 PM
GS3T
Lead Lap

i don't remember were I got mine from. It fix the problem on the 18s I had on my IS300. I think I paid like $50 shipped.

www.justforwheels.com has some available
Old 10-10-05, 01:47 PM
kikis-gs
Driver

Default me 2

i had the same problem with mines.i had a horrible shake at 40 so they balanced,the same thing,so i put those hub rings better.make sure they put on front and back,then i got a tiny shake i think i need a good balanced or high speed.
Old 10-10-05, 02:08 PM
OutlawTita
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

First thing to do is to make sure you have the hubcentric rings that match your rims with your vehicle. When I did that it took care of about 60-70% of the problem which still was horrible to me. Get your tires spin balanced while they are still on the car and it will ride like glass. Very few places do this but I will almost guarantee you that it will take care of the problem.
Old 10-10-05, 02:08 PM
e-diddy
Lead Lap

I had some side to side vibration on my steering wheel at 45 to 55 mph. It did get a little better after an alignment and high speed balancing of the wheels but it was still there.

After the install of the Tein CS, Daizen front and rear sways and RMM strut bar there is no vibration at all. Not to mention that I will hopefully be installing some new tires this comming weekend and also have the car aligned. After this it should be even smoother.
Old 10-10-05, 02:09 PM
BillGS3
Driver School Candidate

i had the same problem when the 18s were put on the gs. it's been balanced 3 times and the hub centering rigns are in the wheels but still shakes at about 60 to 65 and goes away at about 70. what gives???
Old 10-10-05, 05:05 PM
MVP GS3
Driver School Candidate

Hopefully someone on CL can help you.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel shakes! When putting on 20inches! Help!