GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Is the ARISTO dead?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-05, 02:46 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I can see both sides of the arguement but I am more on chuck's side. With the 1GS and 2GS, there was an exact looking Toyota counterpart. You can "add" the Aristo badging and there is a Toyota that looks like the Lexus with that badging. Since there is no 3GS Aristo, putting on Aristo badging would make it a non-existant car.

It really does not matter too much unless you are a stickler for details. I have an Aristo badge on my car but I kept all the Lexus badging. This is non-existant too since there is no Lexus Aristo. I am OK with it. As always, if you are happy with the mods on your car, don't get too bothered by other people's opinions.

Old 10-11-05, 07:56 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chuckb
the 3rd gen GS is not an Aristo, at all. IMO, putting an Aristo badge on it is cheesy.
Old 10-11-05, 09:32 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

just to make it short, i am with chuck myself too. i don't care about the history of the GS and where it is from, what it's named around the world NOW is what i care
Old 10-11-05, 10:33 PM
Eric-RPS13-
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why are we bickering about such an entry level thing?
Old 10-12-05, 10:35 AM
jskim9
Rookie

Originally Posted by IVXX
Whats in a name?
"How may I live without my name? I have given you my soul; leave me my name!"
- Author Miller in the Crucible

The name of something is so important. It defines it, as it defines us. If the Lexus GS was call the Tinkerbell Bedwetter, CL wouldn't exist.

Maybe I've been watching too much Speed Channel's Classic Cars, but drivetrain and powertrain is the essence and soul of the car. Once you put something else in, it's not the original. Imagine some Dr. Frankinstein who puts a Chevy 427 into a Mustang. Great engine, great car, but what do you have there? Some might still call it a mustang, but I wouldn't. Ask any muscle car guy, they'll have that car destroyed themselves.

When Toyota USA decided to launch the GS as a GS and not as an Aristo, along with a different power and drivetrain, they left the Aristo soul in Japan and only brought over a clone of the body, put in a different soul.
Old 10-12-05, 12:16 PM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We are having this discussion, because we witnessed the name change. We are just in a transition phase, eventually most of us old schoolers move on to other cars. By the 4GS, this would just be a bit of trivia. So until then, go with what makes you happy.

Here's a parting thought...
What do you think the name would have been IF Lexus had not lauched in Japan?
Old 10-12-05, 12:20 PM
BigVIPness
The Green Grundel

I should have been more clear:

Aristo = Dead
3rd Gen GS = Still a GS
Aristo Badging on a 3GS =
Old 10-12-05, 12:21 PM
LexFather

Well guys, we should argue that Aristo was the name dropped. REMEMBER, our baby is the LEXUS GS around the world, EXCEPT in Japan.

So REALLY its a GS that was rebadged as an Aristo.

And I am glad to see it ONLY be a GS now. Though I did like the Toyota names
Old 10-12-05, 12:40 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by jskim9
"How may I live without my name? I have given you my soul; leave me my name!"
- Author Miller in the Crucible

The name of something is so important. It defines it, as it defines us. If the Lexus GS was call the Tinkerbell Bedwetter, CL wouldn't exist.

Maybe I've been watching too much Speed Channel's Classic Cars, but drivetrain and powertrain is the essence and soul of the car. Once you put something else in, it's not the original. Imagine some Dr. Frankinstein who puts a Chevy 427 into a Mustang. Great engine, great car, but what do you have there? Some might still call it a mustang, but I wouldn't. Ask any muscle car guy, they'll have that car destroyed themselves.

When Toyota USA decided to launch the GS as a GS and not as an Aristo, along with a different power and drivetrain, they left the Aristo soul in Japan and only brought over a clone of the body, put in a different soul.
Incorrect, the JDM 2nd Gen Aristo S300 and the export model 2nd Gen GS300 are exactly the same in terms of powertrain and engine(2JZ-GE, 5 speed autotrans).

Heck, in Singapore,UK and Australia, the GS's are RHD just like their Japan counterparts. Only the V300 Aristo(2JZ-GTE engine) was exclusive to Japan while V8 GS400/430s were exclusive to USA and certain parts of Europe.
Old 10-12-05, 12:58 PM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 365 Likes on 254 Posts

Why do car models in Japan still have names spelled with Roman characters?
Old 10-12-05, 01:08 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

lexus=unrivaled luxury for the money
most americans dont even know that the original models have toyota counterparts around the world
Old 10-13-05, 10:13 AM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys are not entirely correct:

1SICKLEX - The Aristo (both the S300 and the V300) are available around the world (though mostly as parallel import or grey market entries) as just that - Aristo. I am a living owner of one in Indonesia. The Lexus GS is a Lexus GS, it shares the same shell and perhaps the same engine, but the accessories, detailing, packages, service are quite far apart.

natnut - Again, I am a living proof as an owner of a V300 living outside Japan. The V300 is not that uncommon. It's just non-existent in the US, but they are widely available everywhere else around the world. Kinda like the Skyline GTR, just because it's so rare in the US, doesn't make it rare everywhere else.

Again, the only difference I've noticed so far with the entry of Lexus into the local Japanese market, is that now I (as a guy living in Asia) can buy a GS350 with 330hp I believe, while you guys in N. America who "own" Lexus, are still stuck with the GS300 and GS430. Again, I am not sure why Lexus is doing this double-standard whammy thingy again (like back in the day with the V300 vs GS whatever), but this proves to be more confusion again for the consumers...
Old 10-13-05, 11:42 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jtanoyo1
....... I am a living owner of one in Indonesia. ...
you bought another one, or are you talking about your old car?
Old 10-13-05, 12:03 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

HAHA. Jon. That is why I was very careful in saying there is an exact looking counterpart. Obviously, there are minor differences even in the looks but you know what I mean.
Old 10-13-05, 01:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

jon, my question is, you got your car from grey market right? meaning it's not through official toyota distributor or dealership in indonesia? personally i think it makes more sense if we talk about publicly avaiable?

it's like in hong kong i think officially there is only the lexus gs300, but i know a lot of people they "import" the aristo?

Quick Reply: Is the ARISTO dead?