GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Is the ARISTO dead?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-05, 08:29 PM
davezaristo
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why is there such a big debate on aristo vs. gs? I don't get it, it's the exact same car, just different options and configuration. Only reason why the gs exist is toyota try to upmarket the product and charge more...it is just a marketing strategy to make people "believe" that they are getting a more superior product because it is not badged as a toyota, but rather a lexus...

but of course us CL owners don't mind how it was badged, whether a GS or Aristo, we still love the way it looks and the way it drives....
Old 10-13-05, 11:00 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by davezaristo
Why is there such a big debate on aristo vs. gs? I don't get it, it's the exact same car, just different options and configuration. Only reason why the gs exist is toyota try to upmarket the product and charge more...it is just a marketing strategy to make people "believe" that they are getting a more superior product because it is not badged as a toyota, but rather a lexus...

but of course us CL owners don't mind how it was badged, whether a GS or Aristo, we still love the way it looks and the way it drives....
to be precise, aristo and gs WERE the same car. NOT anymore since 06, coz' there is NO aristo anymore
Old 10-14-05, 06:22 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
to be precise, aristo and gs WERE the same car. NOT anymore since 06, coz' there is NO aristo anymore
which is true, but imo i think that all the people saying its just a toyota has gotten to some of us
Old 10-14-05, 06:37 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
......since 06, there is NO aristo anymore

precisely!

Originally Posted by sha4000
which is true, but imo i think that all the people saying its just a toyota has gotten to some of us
anyone who denies their Lexus was built by Toyota is a fool. CLers know much better than that, believe me.

once again,

1st gen GS=1st gen Aristo counterpart
2nd gen GS=2nd gen Aristo counterpart
3rd gen GS=3rd gen GS
why is this so hard for you to understand?
Old 10-14-05, 08:29 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have to agree with Chuck here...there is no 3rd gen aristo so why put aristo badges on it? So is it cool to put Datsun badges on a 350z its where the car came from right?
Old 10-14-05, 09:56 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't let it get to you. At its roots, a Lexus is a Toyota. Just enjoy your Lexus. I know I do.
Old 10-14-05, 12:17 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

It's not just a Toyota, its a top of the line Toyota sedan. Even taking into account the Lexus subdivision, the only sedans higher than it in Toyota's global pecking order are the Majesta Crown, the Celsior/LS430 and the Century.

In fact, I would much rather be associated with the Aristo name --when motoring enthusiasts esp in Asia hear the name "Aristo", they think "4 door Supra with the legendary 2JZ-GTE". When they hear the name "Lexus GS", they think "well made reliable BMW wannabe with poorer handling".

I think there is a subtle mystique associated with Aristo name and that is due primarily to people's subconcious linking of it with the Supra chassis-- the same inline 6 engine, both having independant double wishbone suspension, the fact that Supra front brakes are a direct bolt-on for the Aristo/GS. I would dearly love to know how Toyota developed the Aristo chassis and how much heritage it actually shares with the Supra.

Last edited by natnut; 10-14-05 at 12:30 PM.
Old 10-14-05, 12:27 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Originally Posted by Neo
I can see both sides of the arguement but I am more on chuck's side. With the 1GS and 2GS, there was an exact looking Toyota counterpart. You can "add" the Aristo badging and there is a Toyota that looks like the Lexus with that badging. Since there is no 3GS Aristo, putting on Aristo badging would make it a non-existant car.

It really does not matter too much unless you are a stickler for details. I have an Aristo badge on my car but I kept all the Lexus badging. This is non-existant too since there is no Lexus Aristo. I am OK with it. As always, if you are happy with the mods on your car, don't get too bothered by other people's opinions.

Lexus Aristos rule the road. lol
Old 10-14-05, 12:51 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
It's not just a Toyota, its a top of the line Toyota sedan. Even taking into account the Lexus subdivision, the only sedans higher than it in Toyota's global pecking order are the Majesta Crown, the Celsior/LS430 and the Century.

In fact, I would much rather be associated with the Aristo name --when motoring enthusiasts esp in Asia hear the name "Aristo", they think "4 door Supra with the legendary 2JZ-GTE". When they hear the name "Lexus GS", they think "well made reliable BMW wannabe with poorer handling".

I think there is a subtle mystique associated with Aristo name and that is due primarily to people's subconcious linking of it with the Supra chassis-- the same inline 6 engine, both having independant double wishbone suspension, the fact that Supra front brakes are a direct bolt-on for the Aristo/GS. I would dearly love to know how Toyota developed the Aristo chassis and how much heritage it actually shares with the Supra.
not trying to take anything away from the GS,
but wouldn't the SC300 be closer related to the Supra then the GS?

Last edited by chuckb; 10-14-05 at 12:58 PM.
Old 10-14-05, 06:07 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckb
not trying to take anything away from the GS,
but wouldn't the SC300 be closer related to the Supra then the GS?
The first generation Soarer is definitely Supra based but it never had the 3L 2jz-gte unlike Supra and Aristo, only the 2.5L 1jz-gte so could not quite reach the power levels the other 2 could achieve.

The 2nd gen soarer is based on the Toyota Crown and only has the V8 engine.
Old 10-14-05, 08:59 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckb
precisely!

anyone who denies their Lexus was built by Toyota is a fool. CLers know much better than that, believe me.

once again,

1st gen GS=1st gen Aristo counterpart
2nd gen GS=2nd gen Aristo counterpart
3rd gen GS=3rd gen GS
why is this so hard for you to understand?
these things are not hard to understand b/c i certainly do, but who cares if its not an aristo or not whenever they speak of a gs it will always go back to aristo and where it started, so if someone wants to put the aristo badge on their gs to show some love whats the problem. you dont have to put it on yours
Old 10-15-05, 10:06 AM
Eric-RPS13-
Lead Lap

I think it's funny this has lasted this long.
I think the Aristo is dead because the 2JZ-GTE isn't in one anymore
Old 10-15-05, 10:23 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric-GS300-
I think it's funny this has lasted this long.
I think the Aristo is dead because the 2JZ-GTE isn't in one anymore
Well, there isn't even an 06 Aristo to put one in even if you wanted to.
Old 05-29-06, 09:24 AM
4GRAINR
Lead Lap

I do agree that there is a certain "something" about owning and driving a Lexus. Having driven many Toyotas and now a Lexus, people respond differently to them. You roll up in a Camry and people say, "good car ... goes forever ... Toyota quality." You roll up in a Lexus and people say, "awesome car ... wow ... Lexus quality and service." Yes, they are the same brand and have the same parts (okay guys, lets not get super technical and jump on me for that statement), but there is a difference in public perception. I for one take pride in my car's Toyota herritage and history. If someone said "oh, that's just a rebadged Toyota" I would have no problem with that because I'd know that his Fix-Or-Repair-Daily will be long dead before I have any issues with my "rebadged Toyota".

With respect to whether or not you should rebadge a 3GS "Aristo", I'd say no since there really isn't an Aristo like that anywhere*. Is history important? Hell yes. Would there be a 3GS without the past legacy of the 1GS and 2GS? Probably not. However, for myself, I don't see the point in putting false badges on a car and calling it something it isn't. Can you rebadge a 2GS "Aristo"? Sure. I see no problem in that since that car/body style was sold under that name in other parts of the world.

But that faux 430 that's running around on CL kills me! To each their own, but that is like dropping "S" badging on a stock Mini. It's just not right.

BTW - This thread came back from the dead because I'm looking to change out my chrome badges for black pearl and in my search I found black pearl Aristo badges. I was trying to get a feel for fellow CL'ers take on 2GS "Aristos" running around. If you had a black/black GS with TRD grille and black pearl emblem, what would you do? Debadge the back and change the "L" to black pearl or do a black pearl "aristo" since you have to buy a set anyways? (Sorry for the thread jack).

* There are always exceptions to the rules. No doubt in some wherehouse in some other country there is a 3GS "Aristo" sitting there as a concept vehicle or test market idea they came up with. Oh, and if there is, I want a photo.