GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Cupholder lid won't open

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-01, 08:18 PM
NVRENUFHP
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A while ago, someone posted that the lid on their '01 GS cupholder would not open properly because it was hanging up on the center divider.

The solution is simple. The center divider is not symetrical. Simply turn it around and reinsert it. The door will then open just fine.

If someone posted this solution as a reply to that thread, sorry for repeating things. The last time I read the thread, no one had mentioned this.
Old 07-19-01, 08:24 PM
mschoaf
Driver School Candidate

I believe that was my original post. I haven't updated the thread because I just got it fixed yesterday. I believe you are slightly mistaken, in the '01 GS, the divider can only be inserted one way. And, please don't take this the wrong way, but if it was that simple, I wouldn't have posted it to this board.

After I had one service guy tell me there was nothing he could do, I did a little more investigating on the bloody thing. It seemed that the left side of the insert stayed down fine, but the right side would creep up. Upon further investigation, I found that there was pressure pushing in from the right side. When I pushed the insert down, I could see the right side of the outer compartment get pushed out. Then, I could watch the pressure push back in and raise that right side up slightly (just enough, obviously), to keep the lid from opening fully. So, I went back to the dealer and showed them EXACTLY what the problem was. IMHO, it seemed like I was on the pay no mind list until I was able to diagnose it all the way down to the actual problem. A little disappointing. Anyway, now that they knew exactly what was going on, they were able to get in there and replace the part that was defective.

I'm going to go ahead and post this to my original thread as well.

Regards,
Matt
Old 07-19-01, 09:38 PM
NVRENUFHP
Rookie

Maybe your 2001 GS 430 is different from mine. On my car, the divider is clearly not symetrical. There are ridges on either side of the divider that form Vs (sort of), but they are shaped slightly different on each side. Their purpose is to guide the divider over corresponding ridges molded into the side of the cupholder depression and those ridges are not the same.

If the divider on my car is inserted correctly, it slides in easily and the lid opens and closes with out difficulty. If the divider is rotated 180 degrees, it doesn't want to go in at all and, when gently forced in, causes the lid to hang up when opening. When closing, too, but its worse on opening.

Like I said, maybe your '01 is different from mine, but that seems unlikely. Are you sure that you tried just turning the divider 180 degrees to see if it fit?

Just out of curiosity, how about some other '01 GS430 boys go out to their cars and give it a try. Then report back on whether it makes a difference in their cars when the divider is 180'd.