GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS month old and already need a new windshield!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-05, 07:38 AM
JMgs300
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default GS month old and already need a new windshield!

So I bought my gs the first week in september and the other day i was driving to work on the parkway and a rock put a 6 inch crack in my windshield... now it spread and its about a foot long!

Then the next day after that rock hit my windshield, i was on the way home from work ...again on the parkway and another rock hit my windshield... a put a F'n chip in it... Im soo glad I didnt fix my windshield and then get hit with that 2nd rock!!!

In all my years of driving and all my cars this has never happened to me, and go figure it happens to my new baby in back-to-back days!

To make matters worse ive been told that a new windshield from lexus runs about $700... does anybody know if thats true?
Old 10-14-05, 07:44 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

done know about Jersey, but in FL new windshield is 0 deductable on insurance.
Old 10-14-05, 07:49 AM
JMgs300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by chuckb
done know about Jersey, but in FL new windshield is 0 deductable on insurance.
New Jersey is the worst state for car insurance... basically when you get insurance put on your car they tell you to pull down your pants and bend over...
Old 10-14-05, 08:07 AM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah the windshield is not cheap OEM. Its around that price.
Old 10-14-05, 08:09 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JMgs300
New Jersey is the worst state for car insurance... basically when you get insurance put on your car they tell you to pull down your pants and bend over...
no vaseline?

seriously though, did you make sure ins doesn't cover?

lexus oem windshield is about $500-600 I think. oem Lex windshields have rain repellent in them.
Old 10-14-05, 08:17 AM
JMgs300
Lead Lap

no vaseline?

lexus oem windshield is about $500-600 I think. oem Lex windshields have rain repellent in them.
I'm sure insurance will cover it with a $500 deductible... and I put in a claim a few months ago on my last car...so to avoid my insurance going up any higher than it already is, this one will be coming out of pocket.

Im just trying to decide if its REALLY worth it to get the OEM lexus windshield or just get one from a place that replaces windshields....
Old 10-14-05, 08:17 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hopefully the insurance will cover it for you. I thought that was standard for them to cover the windshield without questions? Just makes sense for safety
Old 10-14-05, 02:55 PM
Shogun
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No reason for OEM

Gents,
PP&G produces glass for Toyota/Lexus. You can buy OEM but the only thing different is going to be the logo. I replaced my glass 3 years ago and the PP&G windshield with labor ran me approx. $315.

Interestingly enough, Lexus would have charged me $700. I asked if they did their own work or if they outsourced it. Sure enough the outsource to a place just down the street. Guess where I went?

Good luck,
Eric
Old 10-14-05, 02:57 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sounds like you might need to avoid that parkway!
Old 10-14-05, 03:04 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Shogun
Gents,
PP&G produces glass for Toyota/Lexus. You can buy OEM but the only thing different is going to be the logo. I replaced my glass 3 years ago and the PP&G windshield with labor ran me approx. $315.

Interestingly enough, Lexus would have charged me $700. I asked if they did their own work or if they outsourced it. Sure enough the outsource to a place just down the street. Guess where I went?

Good luck,
Eric
from what I understand, 01+ have different rain repellent glass. It actually seems like it too.my replacement windshield says Lexus on it. I did the same thing as you. I had a chipped windshield and was going to have dealer install it, but they told me to just go where they outsource it to. It was 100% covered by my insurance.
Old 10-14-05, 03:06 PM
daleer
Pole Position

Ya - one thing I've noticed about my gs windshield is that it always repels rain as if it has rain-x on it but I've NEVER put any rain-x on it. Pretty cool!

no vaseline?

Old 10-14-05, 03:14 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Aint that the truth.
Old 10-14-05, 03:16 PM
markulele
Driver School Candidate

So I bought my gs the first week in september and the other day i was driving to work on the parkway and a rock put a 6 inch crack in my windshield... now it spread and its about a foot long!

Then the next day after that rock hit my windshield, i was on the way home from work ...again on the parkway and another rock hit my windshield... a put a F'n chip in it... Im soo glad I didnt fix my windshield and then get hit with that 2nd rock!!!

In all my years of driving and all my cars this has never happened to me, and go figure it happens to my new baby in back-to-back days!

To make matters worse ive been told that a new windshield from lexus runs about $700... does anybody know if thats true?

HAHA, u must be very unlucky
Old 10-14-05, 07:15 PM
tuddy
Negative Nancy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

HAHA...sorry to hear bout the windsheild bro..
Old 10-15-05, 08:28 AM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

Windsheild replacement is almost an annual thing here in Alaska. After a long winter and heavy sanding of the roads no one escapes having cracked, chipped, busted windsheilds. Replacement costs all depends on your Comprehensive coverage and the amount of deductible you have selected.

Quick Reply: GS month old and already need a new windshield!