GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Help !! The screws won't come off !!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-05, 06:25 PM
bullwinkle
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help !! The screws won't come off !!

Hey guys..

Got an embarassing problem here ..

I just moved back to Canada and got a new license plate for my 98 GS300 ..

But the two screws holding the back plate will not come off ..

Unfortunately the screws are the type you have to use a kind of Allan wrench with a hole in the middle for ..

Went to a mechanic but was told to go to the dealer, where a mechanic, after trying for a few minutes, told me they might have to be drilled out ..

Is drilling a hole thru the screw the only way ?? .. Really afraid of damaging the body ..

Any advice or experience ??

This getting to be extremely annoying ..:-( ..

Thnx a bunch guys ..
Old 10-15-05, 06:26 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just take your time and you should be a OK
Old 10-15-05, 08:20 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Its hard to answer this question without knowing why they wont come off......but, alot of times you cant get thsoe screws off because they are just spinning due to not having enough resistance....if that makes sense. take a flat tip screw driver and try to push the tag(from behind) up against the screws, then slowly try removing the screws while the pressure is applied.

I know what Im trying to explain, just not sure if its coming across correctly on this post.
Old 10-16-05, 07:45 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

try clamping a vice grip on the end of bolt .
Old 10-16-05, 07:52 AM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

Drilling may be the only option and if you're careful there's no problem doing it. I just went through this, for some strange unknown reason to me, (unless the scews were stripped) my rear plate screws were GLUED in. The previous owner had broken the screw heads off so he keep his plates and left me with a mess to deal with. Fortunately, they were nylon screws and easily drill out, a couple of bucks at the local parts store for new screws and I was good to go. Mine were about 1/2" long and there was nothing behind them in the trunk to worry about. I started with 1/16" drill bit and worked my way up to a 1/4", with a little pryning and digging the old screw remnants finally came out.
Old 10-16-05, 08:51 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckb
try clamping a vice grip on the end of bolt .
Good advice, and try pulling gently toward you while you turn to get the bolt to come out.
Old 10-16-05, 09:25 AM
salimshah

Received 1,045 Likes on 943 Posts

If two mechanics have tried unsuccessfully then the fix is not going to be easy. Both may have shied away due to liability concernns .. may cuase more damage ..

If the head is still there ... try sparaying liquid wrench or equavalent. With a hammer give some swift raps [do not use heavy hammer with lot of force .. you will bend the body sheet metal]. The pupose is to jarr the bolt.

It seems you need a torx driver for * head bolts. If the head is stripped youe choices are:
1. Clamp the side with a locking pliers (real tight) and spin the bolt off.
2. Use dremmel type tool to cut a slot. A good slot should else the screw driver head will strip it again.
3. Cut the head off and once the plate is removed you may have enough shaft of the bolt to grab with locking pliers.
4. Drill a hole through and progressively go bigger till the bolt is destroyed. Even if you messup the threads you can re-tap them ... provided you have not gone too big on the hole. [This step is lot earier with the head NOT broken off].
4a. Look for reverse theread bits which work with drill in reverse. They spin in the directions as if you were unscrewing the bolt. So if the drill bites the bolt it may unscrew it for you.

The worst ones are if the threads are stripped and screw spins without coming out. You have to wedge something underneath the head to apply extrication force.

9/10 times you end up with a broken shaft .. when you manage to provide enough torque. So I would start with the penetrating oil and gentle hammer blows.

Good luck and remember you have to crack the eggs to make an omellette. *****-footing will not get you out of the jam.

Salim
Old 10-17-05, 12:09 AM
5hift gear
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
If two mechanics have tried unsuccessfully then the fix is not going to be easy. Both may have shied away due to liability concernns .. may cuase more damage ..

2. Use dremmel type tool to cut a slot. A good slot should else the screw driver head will strip it again.

Salim
i second that .. use a dremel to cut a slit or slot across the top of the screw and use a flat head screw driver to take it out. We do it all the time at the shop (audi's) loving use torx screws with paint on them which causes the tool to strip the pattern away. Good luck.
Old 10-17-05, 07:36 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Insure you don't have the "Security TORX" ... Most bit sizes can be purchased in hardware stores.
Old 10-17-05, 07:15 PM
bullwinkle
Driver School Candidate

Thnx people for your all the advice !!!

I had to borrow a metal grinder and convert the torx into flat screws ..

Then they came out .. slowly ..:-) ..

So I learned a new trick ..:-) ..

Regards ..
Old 10-17-05, 08:12 PM
salimshah

Received 1,045 Likes on 943 Posts

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Thnx people for your all the advice !!!

I had to borrow a metal grinder and convert the torx into flat screws ..

Then they came out .. slowly ..:-) ..

So I learned a new trick ..:-) ..

Regards ..
Here is another:
Buy a tube of "anti seaze" and apply it to the new screws.
More important apply it to wheel lugs.

Salim
Old 10-18-05, 07:53 AM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by salimshah
Here is another:
Buy a tube of "anti seaze" and apply it to the new screws.
More important apply it to wheel lugs.

Salim
Excellent advice! Especially when 2 dissimilar metals make contact. I.E. steel spark plugs to aluminum heads. This combo without anti-seize can be disastrous.