GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

And so it begins: my GS 400 makeover...

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-05, 01:50 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default And so it begins: my GS 400 makeover...

Due to an unfortunate incident last week, the Lex will be going away for a while.

An idiot in a Tahoe basically ran a stop sign and hurt the right front side of my baby... Surprisingly, I didn't have any type of urge to beat the pulp out of the dude when it happened. I couldn't believe he hit me - I was more disappointed than anything. When you're older and wiser, you start thinking about the consequences of making a rash decision- it wasn't worth losing my house over. I love the car, but ultimately, it's just that: a car.

So, in my usual way, I've decided to make lemonade from lemons. My friend Joe at Backyard Creations and I started discussing how he would match the Spectra Blue paint - not an easy thing to do - and ultimately, we have decided to paint the entire car.

I wanted to get other CL member's thoughts on my plans for this exterior makeover before we begin.

1) Replace damaged front fender & HID headlight . Explosion front bumper can be repaired.

2) Headlights: Take 'em apart, spray the chrome housings candy (transparent) blue, add DDE halo "angel eyes"

3) Hood: perhaps add a slight bulge in the center of the hood, similar to what the first-gen IS has.

4) Fenders: Add Prussian Blue style fender vent(s). I am also considering an horizontal Aston Martin Vanquish style vent. This would be a completely one-off job. I would have a chrome 'accent bar' made for the vent from billet aluminum and then chrome plated. The fenders will be 'stretched' about 1/4" to accommodate a little lower offset wheel (my existing fenders have this treatment).

5) Front bumper: rework the carbon fiber detail in the front bumper, perhaps coat it with a candy blue to blend it with the paint but still show the carbon fiber texture in the lower area.

6) Rework rear Explosion bumper to accommodate quad exhaust. I'd like this to look a little more "VIP" and I think this would accomplish this. MagnaFlow is on board for this!

7) Change the rear spoiler from the stock one to a one-piece like K.I.T. offers. I would integrate a clear LED Supra third brake light into it.

8) Lightly smoke the taillights and trunk lights.

9) Shave the windshield "squirters" on the hood. I hate those things!

10) Change the front exterior door handles to a rear pair- this would eliminate the key hole. I would use a back-up power source to unlock the doors in case the main battery dies.

11) Respray car Spectra Blue. We are considering adding a little pearl above the body crease, but I am not 100% sold on this idea.

12) Paint the roof and L-Sportline roof spoiler midnight blue metallic to emulate the "Sky Roof" look seen on newer Mercedes cars. This would effectively hide the fact that the car has a sunroof- it would look like a large glass panel from a distance. I don't think this has been done on a second-gen GS (?)

13) Replace windshield (it has two small stars in it anyway) and tint it light blue to match the side & rear windows

14) Wheels will be changed. I will do either 20s or 21s - I am leaning towards sticking with 20s because I can use more lip - also the Zone 5 is in the prototype phase and will be killer (also, the timing works to debut the new wheel on this car).
Yokohama has 255/30-20s and 305/25-20s in the new Advan Sport on the way...
I'd like to stretch the tires a little for a VIP look - basically, I would run a 2.5" lip on the front and a 4" in the rear which would put the wheels just a tiny bit past the fender - the stretched tires will give me the clearance I need.

Did I miss anything? My goal is to rework the car to be extremely clean with nice details, but not "over the top." I anticipate this will all take about 45 days to accomplish - if we hustle.

Your thoughts/input/advice would be appreciated!

Regards,
Bob

Last edited by SoCalSC4; 10-17-05 at 05:09 PM.
Old 10-17-05, 01:59 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

ouch, sorry to hear the accident bob, that sux

but seems like you are really taking it positively. i guess i can't with to see your next BIG step!
Old 10-17-05, 02:04 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

oh and btw bob. why don't you do the fender flares as well?!?!?!?! i thought you always wanted to do it!
Old 10-17-05, 02:16 PM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah and maybe you can get 5"lip in the rear
cant wait to see the finished product
Old 10-17-05, 02:21 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow. Very nice list of changes. Can't wait to see it.

Quick note on 12 (painting the roof). Although slightly different treatment, jawnthen painted his rood black on his silver 2GS. This emulates the MB cars that did this.
Old 10-17-05, 02:38 PM
Lettuce
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any of your wheels damaged because of this incident??
Old 10-17-05, 03:08 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Lettuce
any of your wheels damaged because of this incident??
Wow. I can see the vultures circling.
Old 10-17-05, 03:34 PM
AJ
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Neo
jawnthen painted his rood black on his silver 2GS. This emulates the MB cars that did this.
He could've used black tint film on the roof , that would've done the job at a cheap cost
Old 10-17-05, 03:56 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Sorry to hear what happened... Accidents are never fun especially when its not your fault...All in all maybe something good will come out of this.... sounds like it is.. Good Luck
Old 10-17-05, 04:03 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

oh noes MY SBM Brother

But at the sight of the new build up

Glad your not hurt Bob
Old 10-17-05, 04:11 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear this happen. Sounds like quite a list of plans. Not really sure the Vanquish touch will work on the GS though, but I really agree with the windshield squirters. I hate having to wax around those things. I am also curious as to what CF you have done to your front bumper?
Old 10-17-05, 05:06 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

can't wait to see the job done!
Old 10-17-05, 05:40 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow... lots of responses so far!

Henry: we are still talking about the widebody... have not 100% ruled it out yet. The front fenders aren't a problem, but the rear quarter panels are a difficult area to flare- I would have to continue the flare onto the rear doors - I would emulate the look of the stock fender bulges. I'm not sure I want to take it that far as far as energy and budget- I still need to finish my MR2, which WILL be "over the top."
But Pirelli has announced a 325/25-20- perfect for a widebody. This is the only way I could even hope to get to a 5" lip (per LEXISM's suggestion). I could use 285/25-20 on the front...

Chris: Thanks for the tip, I will search for Jawnthen's car. The GS naturally lends itself to this treatment due to the alignment of the drip rails and the windshield/rear window. Blue on blue will be more subtle than black on silver, but (I think) interesting nonetheless. How is your project coming?

Lettuce: the wheels are perfect... will be up for sale soon, I guess. Ironically, I just had new Falken FK-451s installed four days prior for a photo shoot in L.A. (for Falken - SEMA). The tires have maybe 200 miles on them- will be a great value for the new owner!

tmf2004: I use an unfortunate situation to my advantage whenever possible... I enjoy a challenge - it's the inconvenience that sucks. At the end of this all, the car will be better than ever!

Johnny: yep, an accident you can walk away from can't be all bad. My SBM will return to rule the universe! (Are you finished w/ yours yet? I had to give you some competition!)

GS300Rich: Maybe I didn't clarify- I would do one style of vent or the other. I prefer the Prussian Blue style thus far.

Thanks- keep 'em coming!
Old 10-17-05, 05:50 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to hear about the accident but its a great reason to finally start the new project..good luck.
Old 10-17-05, 06:21 PM
aloha08isf
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

sorry to hear about that man however on the positive side...we are all anxious is seeing your project transform once again!

Quick Reply: And so it begins: my GS 400 makeover...