GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

gauge went out...please help

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-05, 07:28 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,369 Likes on 1,554 Posts

Originally Posted by jefftsai
I have a Optima Yellow top in my car. ...

I have used this battery for about 3years now and it is still going strong! It was in my last car for 2.5 yrs and now in the GS for half a year. I know of no other battery that can do that.
Really? My $50 AutoZone battery has lasted at least 3 years.

And I discharged it one time (left inside light on) and I jumped it with a starter battery, drove it for 20 miles to help it recharge, and it's been fine ever since.

When it dies I'll get another $50 battery.

The only reason to get a yellow top in my opinion is if you have a LOT of electronics you want to power and occasionally when the engine isn't running. Otherwise I think it's overkill.
Old 10-23-05, 08:25 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

And I discharged it one time (left inside light on) and I jumped it with a starter battery, drove it for 20 miles to help it recharge, and it's been fine ever since.

The only reason to get a yellow top in my opinion is if you have a LOT of electronics you want to power and occasionally when the engine isn't running. Otherwise I think it's overkill.
my oem(interstate) lasted 4 yrs! for FL, that's amazing
Old 10-24-05, 12:10 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by JacobT
Jeff,

Let's be real,. The # of cylinders has nothing to do with the compression ratio. You may need a new battery because 1 to 1.5 second to turn over the engine does not sound right for a GS.
1-1.5seconds was just what I thought it was before confimation . I just went to try again and it was less than a second. Doesn't a high compression motor need a stronger starter to start than a low compression motor. Doubling the cylinders on a already high compression engine will need a beefier starter. Correct me if im wrong?

I have no doubt a $50 AutoZone battery can run that long if not longer. My point was that in my last car I had a car computer that would drain the battery down to where it needed a jump start. It would happen multiple times (at least 30-40) due to the computer randomly going into standby mode at times if I didn't turn off the inverter at night. Not to mention the system in the trunk and the few times with the dome light . That battery has held up pretty good considering what it has gone thru. My friend's IS using a autozone battery died in about 10months and he also has a similar setup as I once had in my old car. This battery I am using now came out of my old car is still running strong in the new one. I believe a car computer would quality as LOT of electronics.
If you have a lot of electronics, the optima really holds its ground.

Geez.....this thread went from "my gagues went out" to battery comparison Sorry for the threadjack.
Old 10-24-05, 01:16 AM
FunGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 17gs400
this is the story.

went to dunkin donuts, got out went to the car start it up, and its cut out on me. i thought my battery went bad but it didnt. I went to go shake the battery terminal a lil, and start up the car again. But my gauges black out on me, and nothing from the gauge is working after that(rpm ,mph,gas, engine temp).
Check the gauge fuse its still good, i check all the fuse from the drive kick panel, passenger kick panal, under the hood. any ideas, please let me know.
check the dimmer, you might have hit it by accident.
Old 10-24-05, 06:08 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,369 Likes on 1,554 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckb
my oem(interstate) lasted 4 yrs! for FL, that's amazing
Why is that amazing? It doesn't even get cold here!
Old 10-24-05, 06:12 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why is that amazing? It doesn't even get cold here!
the high heat is worse for car batteries most of mine make it a year or two. with three vehicles,seems like I'm always getting them prorated.