GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Car won't start yesterday morning

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-05, 08:48 AM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Car won't start yesterday morning

i need help. this has happened before, but yesterday was the worst. my gs4 would not start in the morning. all that happened when i turned the key was, "click", and it happened for a while, just clicking. eventually the car finally turned, but when it turned, it turned kinda slow and stopped. then i tried again and it kept turning for the longest time and eventually choked into starting. i notice this happens whenever the weather gets really cold. any idea guys?

things checked:
1. fairly new optima red top battery within half a year.
2. battery terminals all clean and tight.
3. notice that when car won't start, engine has a motor running sound, like an electric motor but very suttle.
4. battery measures 12.3 volts when car won't start, after starting is about 14 volts.
Old 10-20-05, 09:42 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 339 Likes on 292 Posts

battery should be reading 12.6 so that m ight be something to consider. the clicking sound is the startersolenoid closing but the starter motor isnt turning , now this could mean a bad starter or the battery (12.3v) isnt supplying enough juice. the cheaper way to go is get the battery checked out, it doesnt matter if the battery is almost new
Old 11-21-05, 10:57 AM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

was a solution ever found to this problem?

Last edited by Benjamin T; 11-21-05 at 11:03 AM.
Old 11-21-05, 11:08 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

I read into a post a few weeks back....someone else had the same problem. Do a search for "starter problem" or something related to that.

Basically he had the same click noise, and after trying to start it 10-15 times with clicks everytime....the car finally started. This sounds a bit like your situation.... I believe he ended up getting a new starter and that solved his problems.

However, before you narrow the starter as the culprit check your battery voltage levels. All batteries have less cranking juice in colder weather. In my experience optimas are very hardy. I have a 2.5 year old optima yellowtop in my car, and the weather in my area is around 30-40F in the mornings right now. So far I havent had a problem starting. Also, check all the wires including the one that goes to the starter, alternator, and check your grounds. Hopefully you will not need a new starter because it will cost you a good chunk of change to do so.

Edit: You might want to get that checked out ASAP! It would suck if you are stuck out in the middle of nowhere, or on a tight schedule and the car doesn't start!

Last edited by jefftsai; 11-21-05 at 11:14 AM.
Old 11-21-05, 11:36 AM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

i also have an optima redtop of same age. at rest it reads approx. 12 volts. during startup it's just over 10 volts, whether it does start or not. i've put the battery on a charger and it still reads 12 volts at rest fully charged. i already had the starter rebuilt (see my other post), and the problem still persists. the mechanic says the wiring on the starter side has no issues, but suspects either the starter kill on the alarm installed in the car, or the battery itself, because of optima having smaller-diameter terminals causing poor connectiviity.

i had an alarm installer look at it as well, and he says it's not the starter kill because the starter is still engaging (CLICK). instead, he thinks there is something wrong in the electrics involved with the ignition key, or maybe the factory immobilizer itself.

so that's where i am now. hoping to go to the dealer tomorrow... where i'm going to find out what straight shop time for electrical troubleshooting is going to cost me
Old 11-21-05, 12:31 PM
salimshah

Received 1,098 Likes on 988 Posts

My understanding is that the egnine imboblizer cuts out the engine run capability and should have no impact on how fast the starter can spin the engine.

So look again at battery condition (get a jump to eliminate or confirm).
Terminals and wires.
Solenoid.
Wire from ignition switch to solenoid.
Starter.
engine (very unlikely) but remotely possible where something is preventing it from spining (frigid conditions with wrong oil can do it .. and catastrophic failure like valve in the chamber -stuck piston etc.)

12v at battery is low voltage. There was a post on optima's requiring extended charge time (real or fake .. you decide)

Salim
Old 11-21-05, 12:41 PM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

from what i'm reading in other posts such as this one:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...attery+voltage

14v should be when the car is running at idle, 12v with the engine off at rest?

i've tried jumpstarting several times. the first time i did it it "worked", but every attempt after that has not.
Old 11-21-05, 08:07 PM
fisher_price
Rookie

you might want to consider changing the starter relay before you change the starter, especially if your problem is intermittent, as mine was.

the relay is located in a box just under the hood on the passenger side, i think it was...

anyway-- the relay costs about $65 and takes about 15 minutes to change...

the starter will set you up back about $1200 installed at the dealer.

i changed out the starter (in my intern's driveway, with lots of help from him, over the course of a few weeks) after that's what the dealer recommended, only to have the car not start. changing the relay fixed it.

g'luck.

f_p
Old 11-22-05, 08:18 AM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

do you have a part number for the relay in question?
Old 11-28-08, 07:53 AM
G4inRich
Rookie

WOW ! Got into my car Thanksgiving morning and came across the exact same clicking noise. Only this time, she never started. Bought a new battery 8 days ago and it will be checked along with the starter and relay. Hope this is an easy one to fix because this is starting to look like a GS problem. Thanks for suggestions given, will get back with my solution. . . . Out in the friggin COLD!..lol
Old 11-28-08, 09:44 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by G4inRich
WOW ! Got into my car Thanksgiving morning and came across the exact same clicking noise. Only this time, she never started. Bought a new battery 8 days ago and it will be checked along with the starter and relay. Hope this is an easy one to fix because this is starting to look like a GS problem. Thanks for suggestions given, will get back with my solution. . . . Out in the friggin COLD!..lol
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but a starter on a GS400 is a major pain to do.