GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Bmw lost another customer

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-01, 08:16 PM
NVRENUFHP
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still haven't seen any JD Power numbers for reliability. Other than someone saying something to the effect that "BMW rates down about 7th or 10th or something", we still haven't had a citation to JD Power numbers. I don't know off the top of my head where to find 'em. I see them in the paper or car magazines from time to time and the next time I do, I'll quote them. One way or the other that should end the discussion.

If the BMW reliability numbers are as I suspect, then you folks will need to stop bashing the marque on that count. If the reliability numbers are bad, then I guess you are justified. They are still great cars, in any event.

I suppose, though, that the numbers could put BMW significantly behind Lexus, yet still not be all that bad. In that case, you folks will probably still have to be quiet about the reliability thing. A few of you talk about BMW reliability like they were Yugo. Sheesh. Sure, their numbers won't be as good as Lexus, but are anyone's? It doesn't mean the cars are crap. (Seriously speaking, is Lexus always #1 in the JD Power reliability surveys?)

I said two things before. First, antedotal stories about BMWs breaking or not are worthless. (Gee, you don't suppose we could go to the BMW board and get stories of Lexus unreliabilty or other shortcomings, do you?) Someone out there surely must know where to find the JD Power numbers to scan 'em in.

Second, anyone who says "BMWs are crap" or the equivilent is a fool or an arrogant blowhard. Actually, I forgot the "arrogant blowhard" part when I said this the first time. In any event, you may prefer the Lexus for any number of reasons, as did I when I bought a GS4 instead of a 5er, but BMW makes some awesome rides.

Re: the nitwit who thinks he can get a '98 GS4 and $ for a '98 540 with a bad trans. What the hell does he smoke? What dreamer.

Last edited by NVRENUFHP; 07-22-01 at 08:21 PM.
Old 07-23-01, 03:56 PM
dgangi

Default Reliability - let's end it here

OK...it seems like the nebulous "JD Power" issue is still circling in the air. So...follow the link and let the numbers tell the story:

JD Power Long Term Reliability

As you can see, Lexus is tops for the sixth year in a row and has 216 problems per 100 cars (2.16). BMW is 50% higher at 377 but still falls below the industry average of 448.

I believe Lexus cars also take honors in the "Initial Quality" survey for a few of the vehicle types. However, I think this survey is worthless because I don't car how reliable my car is within the first 90 days of ownership. I want it to keep together for the duration of my ownership. My '95 Infiniti G20 was tops in initial quality for 1995 model year but wasn't the most reliable car during my 5 years of owning it.

Thx...Doug
Old 07-23-01, 04:18 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Default Two More Cents

Posted this in the Maintenance section earlier.

Autocar June 20, 2001

Made in Germany by Wolfgang Konig

Popular Myth: German Cars are Utterly Reliable

‘An enviable reputation, sure – German cars tend to be built like tanks, last forever, are as sturdy as Rottweilers and utterly reliable – but how true is it?

Well, seems it isn’t true at all. Each year our German sister magazine Auto Motor und Sport, conducts a major survey questioning up to 70,000 car owners. And each year the message is unambiguous: if you want hassle free motoring, you shouldn’t buy a German car.

What you actually need is something made in Japan. Almost any Japanese car will do, apparently, and be more reliable that the best Germany has to offer.

Which, incidentally, turns out to be the Mercedes SL. In Auto Motor und Sport’s reliability league it comes 37th. The top five are the Toyota Carina, Toyota Starlet, Nissan Almera, Suzuki Vitara, and Toyota Corolla. So let’s compare that little lot with what the Germans can muster.

Mercedes’ new best seller, the C-class, comes in 49th, the Porsche 911 is 63rd, and VW Golf 95th. BMW’s 7 series is down at 114 and the Audi A6 is 133rd. Even if you think that German cars do higher mileages than Japanese ones (the survey includes cars up to three years old) those results leave the German car industry with nowhere to hide.

“We’re still fascinated by the rigour with which they follow through agreed processes,” says BMW quality expert Fritz Hartig of his Far East competitors in general, and Lexus in particular. He readily admits that BMW has yet to produce unarguable quality or reliability. Among the biggest current headaches are those complex multimedia technologies which still drive some customers to despair.

It hasn’t stopped BMW from improving its quality image, though. More than 80 percent of the German magazine’s readers now think BMW builds reliable cars, as opposed to last year’s 70 percent.

Among the German manufacturers only Mercedes fares better (90 percent), while Audi’s and VW’s reputations have suffered badly over the last two years.

A little perspective, perhaps, may help; all those prestige makes are still thought far more trustworthy than a typical Ford or Opel. Only 30 percent (Ford) and 25 percent (Opel) say these brands produce reliable cars.’

Old 07-23-01, 04:27 PM
enginyr
Banned

huh?
Old 07-23-01, 04:31 PM
Static911

One of my bosses just told me (I brag all the time of the Club Lexus forum)

he owns a 2000 or I thinK 2001 X5 4.4L

I was talking of the GS430 and then he goes on ranting how his X5 is "falling apart"

Apparently, the rubber handles to close the door on the passenger side (front and back seats) are falling apart. By now, he is getting worked up and telling me how the heck can the passenger sides fall apart when his side is perfectly fine.

Now, he is thinking of switching back to his original idea of getting an SC430.

eKay
Old 07-23-01, 04:42 PM
LexusLady
Pole Position

Originally posted by Static911

I was talking of the GS430 and then he goes on ranting how his X5 is "falling apart"

Apparently, the rubber handles to close the door on the passenger side (front and back seats) are falling apart. By now, he is getting worked up and telling me how the heck can the passenger sides fall apart when his side is perfectly fine.

Now, he is thinking of switching back to his original idea of getting an SC430.

eKay
He should take it back to his dealer - If it's a 2000 or 2001 it's still under warranty.

Unfortunately there are many people who have had a bad experience with their BMW, and they always seem to be the ones that make the most noise. From a personal perspective, we've had our X5 for 6 trouble-free months, my Mother drove a 1976 E12 525, also trouble-free, my uncle has a 750iL - also been a great car, and I'm expecting my 540i to give me the same. Believe me, not all BMW's are bad!

C.
Old 07-23-01, 05:25 PM
Mike
Driver

Default Cadillac reliablity..give me break

I have a 94 Cadillac Concours w/ 65k, I ve had nothing but problems. Fuel pump bad($550), both door locks broke($250 a piece) Water pump a month ago($500). The car has a rough Idle that they cant get fixed without a rep flying in from headquaters. They had the car for 3 weeks, with the top of the motor apart, checking the cams etc... They put it back together, and said sorry we cant figure it out. This is a big dealership telling me this. I had a free rental for this time, so I wasent getting upset. Even though it was a Catera (what a pile of crap)
Sorry to be talking about Cadillacs here, but it sure felt great to vent a little. Never again with Cadillac. Lexus for me.

Mike
Old 07-23-01, 07:04 PM
dgangi

Default X5 - no surprise

Originally posted by Static911

eKay
This isn't a surprise considering the X5 is the most trouble prone BMW. Once again, if you look at the JD Power numbers, you will see that the X5 isn't up to snuff in terms of reliability that the other BMW's are. In fact, their weakest score was in the "Interior/accessory reliability" area.

And if you think the X5 is bad, have you seen the numbers for the Mercedes sport-ute? It's wayyyyyyy at the bottom of the barrell (dead last by a mile).

Over and over again the most reliable cars seem to come from Toyota/Lexus and Honda/Acura. Most everybody else has their good spots and their bad spots. Some cars, like VW, are just bad all around (their reliability numbers suck -- in fact the VW Beetle had the worst long-term cost score that Car & Driver ever recorded!).

Oddly enough, the best improver over the past 5 years has been GM. I never cared much for their cars but more and more of them are showing up near the top of the list in every category.

Thx...Doug
Old 07-24-01, 03:58 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In one of the more recent Consumer Reports, they did a huge car study...Cars from BMW, Mercedes, Audi, etc., etc.. (German) all scored low in terms of reliability.

Of course, most of the Japanese brands scored high. I left the issue at my friend's house but I'll get it and post some info...
Old 07-24-01, 05:08 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Exclamation Funny thing

Funny thing happened on the weekend. I was chillin over at my brother-in-law's BMW mechanic shop to see what cars he was fixin. He had 4 cars in there

1) 1998 540i

2) 1998 M3

3) 2000 328csi or ci or something like that

4) and guess what a frickin M5, nothing major wrong with the car. I think fuel pump broke but yet it was quite disturbing to see a brand new $80k car.

I got to snoop around all the cars, heck he even let me test drive the car with him after he finish fixing it. First we test drove the 328, and after we turned the block the car DIED OUT ?! Unfortunately he made me push it back to the shop. Hence, it was 90 degree weather .

Next the M3 was a fun car, good handling and has power. I didn't have much time to try anything else because we only took it around the block. The 540i wasn't finish, apparenlty it had major tranny problems and it was estimated at $1800 to fix.

Go figure