GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

TTE Front Lip Install This Weekend

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-05, 07:51 AM
TexasGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default TTE Front Lip Install This Weekend

Picked up my nicely painted TTE lip from Darrel at Sewell yesterday and will be installing it this weekend . I have searched the forum for install "lip tips" and I think I should have no problems installing it. I have about a dozen of those Irwin blue/yellow clamps that I think will work to help hold it while it dries. My lip came with the German glue and cleaner stuff . That is what I plan on using even though several people indicated that glue was no good. Any last minute tips?
Old 10-21-05, 09:34 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

use the blue tape that everyone else uses to keep it tightly wrapped around the bottom lip while the adhesives cure. this will ensure you don' t have an uneven gap along the entire top of the lip.

also - i would get a few long pieces of wood to stack under the lip to help support the lip and keep it pressed closely to the bottom of the bumper while it cures. call me crazy but hey- better to go overboard the first time then have to go back two or three times just to fix the issue.

to make sure you don't scratch the lip - use the wood but then use magazines or newspapers for fine adjustments when making the resting place for the lip.

good luck!

I just bought a lip but i'm having a shop paint/install it next week. hopefully they'll do a good job.
Old 10-21-05, 09:43 AM
JMgs300
Lead Lap

I just ordered the lip from LTuned.com... How long did it take to arrive at your house after you ordered it? It said "in stock" so thats a good thing...
Old 10-21-05, 10:47 AM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

get the scissor jack out of your trunk and some others from your friends. use the jacks to support the lip. 3 jacks should be good, 4 should be better.
Old 10-21-05, 10:55 AM
TexasGS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JMgs300
I just ordered the lip from LTuned.com... How long did it take to arrive at your house after you ordered it? It said "in stock" so thats a good thing...
I live in Dallas and just went over to Sewell and picked mine up. I had them paint it and they had it ready for me in like 3 days. Having them paint it for you could be the biggest time constraint. I had them paint my L-tuned side skirts and it took 2 weeks to get them done. If you are just buying it and having them ship it raw, it shouldn't take but a week or so to get to you.
Old 10-21-05, 10:59 AM
TexasGS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cliffud
use the blue tape that everyone else uses to keep it tightly wrapped around the bottom lip while the adhesives cure. this will ensure you don' t have an uneven gap along the entire top of the lip.

also - i would get a few long pieces of wood to stack under the lip to help support the lip and keep it pressed closely to the bottom of the bumper while it cures. call me crazy but hey- better to go overboard the first time then have to go back two or three times just to fix the issue.

to make sure you don't scratch the lip - use the wood but then use magazines or newspapers for fine adjustments when making the resting place for the lip.

good luck!

I just bought a lip but i'm having a shop paint/install it next week. hopefully they'll do a good job.
I will definately use the blue tape. I also like the idea of using the wood and then shimming it with magazines .

I decided to do it myself after reading all the threads where is seemed as though most of the bad install's were done by shops. Nobody who did it themselves admitted to having any problems. I just feel I will take more time and care doing it myself and then I will have nobody to blame if it goes bad. Anyway, I will post some pics after I finish.
Old 10-22-05, 06:10 AM
aloha08isf
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

awesome! right ons! trust me...you will NOT regret the tte lip...makes the car look at more better overall
Old 10-22-05, 06:28 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

i can't wait to get mine installed.

i'm getting it painted/installed at a shop simply because i'm bartering the work with some web stuff.

i REALLY hope they take great care in installing it.
Old 10-22-05, 08:51 AM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

please take some pictures as you did with your daizen sways install.

it could be a diy project for a lot of members.