GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

So how do YOU pronounce Aristo?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-05, 12:17 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Neo
With your car and your screen name, you'd better know how to say it right.
and obviously he hasn't read the whole thread yet
Old 10-22-05, 09:33 AM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually I checked with a Japanese friend from Japan and he confirmed with me that it is pronounced "ar-ri-su-to".
Old 10-22-05, 10:57 AM
aznxguy714
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually the correct way to pronounce aristo would be ah-lee-sue-toe but if u were to say it fast it would look like this ah-list-toe. our "R"'s sound like the letter L. our A sound like ahhhh. its alot easier explaining in person or over the phone. but anyways i also read a post about someone talking about alphabets in japanese. yes there is 2. hiragana and katakana and also a third which is called kanji but that's mainly characters. kanji can be written as hiragana and katakana.

here is a lil info about my language

Japanese is written with a mixture of hiragana and katakana, plus kanji.

Origin of hiragana
Hiragana syllables is developed from Chinese characters. Hiragana were originally called onnade or 'women's hand' as were used mainly by women - men wrote in kanji and katakana. By the 10th century, hiragana were used by everybody. The word hiragana means "oridinary syllabic script".

Characteristics and usage of hiragana
The hiragana syllabary consists of 48 syllables and is mainly used to write word endings, known as okurigana in Japanese. Hiragana is used in materials for children, textbooks, animation and comic books, to write Japanese words which are not normally written with kanji, such as adverbs and some nouns and adjectives, or for words whose kanji are obscure or obselete.

Hiragana are also sometimes written above or along side kanji to indicate pronunciation, especially if the pronunication is obscure or non-standard. Hiragana used in this way are known as furigana or ruby.

The other is called katakana

Origin
The katakana syllabary was derived from abbreviated Chinese characters used by Buddhist monks to indicate the correct pronunciations of Chinese texts in the 9th century. At first there were many different symbols to represent one syllable of spoken Japanese, but over the years the system was streamlined. By the 14th century, there was a more or less one-to-one correspondence between spoken and written syllables.

The word katakana "part (of kanji) syllabic script". The "part" refers to the fact that katakana characters represent parts of kanji.

Characteristics and usage of katakana

The katakana syllabary consists of 48 syllables and was originally considered "men's writing". Since the 20th century, katakana have been used mainly to write non-Chinese loan words, onomatopoeic words, foreign names, in telegrams and for emphasis (the equivalent of bold, italic or upper case text in English). Before the 20th century all foreign loan words were written with kanji.

for example the word kami can mean paper, god, divine, and the word kaze could mean wind or a cold but if combined together u get kamikaze which means divine wind pronounced ka-me-ka-zey not ka-ma-ka-zee and that's what those crazy japanese pilots were called. oh by the way for those who don't know me which is probably all of clublexus hahahaha. i think i have only pmed a couple members about questions but let me introduce myself and reintroduce myself to those who are new members.

my names is HIroyuki Kido but i go buy my middle name which is matthew which is easier to pronounce. i am 26 years old living in huntington beach california since 1985. i am full-blooded japanese. anyways before i go just wanted to say thanks to those who have given me advice when i had questions. take cares all and have a great but safe weekend.
Old 10-22-05, 04:02 PM
Jugg_head
Driver

You guys are on smack !!! 3 pages for Grammar ? I pronounce it LEXUS !!!

Just Kidding.
Old 10-22-05, 04:06 PM
e-diddy
Lead Lap

Hmmmm..................maybe it is pronounced like this

Ahhhhhhhh........wrist.........toe........

J/K
Old 10-23-05, 02:57 PM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Neo
So does that make are-RIS-to the english equivalent (based on the badge)?
I guess so. It's more like "uh-RIs-to."

Contrary to popular belief, it's not really the "L" and "R" sound being reversed in Japanese, it's more like, there's only one character that represents either of them, and it's kind of an in-betweenish sound. Case in point, "belly" and "berry" would be written and pronounced the same way in Japanese hiragana or katakana.
Old 10-23-05, 03:00 PM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jeff@Longo
Examples:
Hiragana:
のむ= no - mu = To drink
ちさい = chi - sa - i = small
Katakana: (Sorry... a little rusty so it's not exactly on the dime)
ハーマーバーガ = haa - maa - baa - ga = hamburger
スパーマリオ = su - paa - ma - ri - o = super mario =P
I don't have japanese on this particular computer I'm on right now, but
"chiisai" actually has an "i" between the "chi" and the "sa," and the phrase "hamburger" is is actually written with an "n" (the last hiragana one) instead of the "-ma-" and there's a "-" between the "su" and the "pa" in super mario.
Old 10-23-05, 06:51 PM
Lvangundy

▲^▲^▲^▲ Listen to meZoom! ..knows the language.

Last edited by Lvangundy; 10-23-05 at 07:16 PM.
Old 10-23-05, 08:13 PM
MGS4
Lexus Test Driver

It's アリスト in Japanese, so I would say A Ri Su To.