GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Bored, unsure what direction to take the GS

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-05, 08:09 AM
Lvangundy

Default Bored, unsure what direction to take the GS

I've had my GS for 3 months and I'm getting just a little bored with it.

It was definetly nice moving from an I6 (my 03' IS) to a healthy 4.3 V8 but I admit I became really used to the small size and handling of the IS. The motor in the 430 is decently powerful but the transmission is slow and cushy.

I've thrown $$$$ into the suspension of the GS and still am rather unhappy with how it drives on a daily basis. Coilovers and a 1.5" drop hardly did anything in regards to cornering, but did help with stability at higher speeds. All the TOM`s pieces helped slightly but created more creakes and groans in the frame and suspension. I am however missing sway bars which I'm dying for. Maybe this will be the last item that will make me go "wow, the GS CAN be fun!"

This car does go well with the styling route, but I'm learning that daily drivers are not suited well for this. You can easily spend $5-10K on a nice kit and high end body work, but there's no way I could make it a daily driver after that much of an investment. It should be a trailer queen or a weekend cruiser.

There's the speed route too, nitrous I would be happy with for those quick boosts, but I want that extra 75, 100 or 125 HP always on tap with the reliability from the factory. Has anyone put 50K+ miles on a turbo or supercharged GS4xx?

Basically I want to shred through corners, and be a rocket at all speeds. All with the Toyota/Lexus styling. The GS may be the wrong platform for this, at least not without an over the top investment.

Maybe it's time to look into another manufacturer or try out the IS350. (no V8 though )
Old 10-24-05, 09:39 AM
svt5150
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love my GS and it is what it is. I have a supercharged Saleen that I can play with. If you want speed and handling, why not get a used M5? Yes, it isnt a Lexus but they are nice rides. Or just go with a LMS kit.
Old 10-24-05, 11:00 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

LOL. The sways should have been the second (after the coilovers). The Tom's pieces are nice and play a very crucial SUPPORTING role. That's just it though. Wait until you get the sways to pass judgement. Honestly, it will never be the same as a smaller, lighter, nimbler car but it will hold its own in daily driving.
Old 10-24-05, 11:05 AM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

agreed on the sways

As far as speed goes , I'm done with it (too much time looking at car crash pics )

Now im just going to cruuuuuuise
Old 10-24-05, 01:05 PM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

i would suggest a turbo miata for canyon running. my friend has one and it kicks butt in handling and power. keep in mind it's not a lexus. i don't think you'll get the best of both worlds without spending serious $$ for your GS. Keep the GS as a cruiser and buy a smaller car as a pocket rocket.
Old 10-24-05, 01:18 PM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put on a TT on my car with just over 60k miles. The car really kicks when I accelerate, but I don't think it will ever handle turns like my old 1990 Integra with full suspension and some extra goodies. The lexus drives well and I definitely love the car more now that it has more torque and ponies. I agree that it will not give you the total driving experience if you want all out handling. I would agree to get a second "beater" car and fix it up so that you can carve out the roads when you want to.
Old 10-24-05, 02:22 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey man,

Not sure which engine mods you have to speed the car up a little. I personally was going to go the NO2 route but then I realised I would only enjoy it for the 5 seconds it was in use.

I suggest starting with a valve body upgrade. People don't usually do it unless they are running FI. But, I did it and now it shifts awesome. Some people may think it is too harsh a shift but I love it. Do you have a TC and LSD??? If you have all 3 of these - your car will be a lot of fun.

You are just starting with your car - so start modding and trust me - you will not be tired of it for long!!

In all honesty I enjoy my car more everyday.

Jonny
Old 10-24-05, 03:10 PM
Lvangundy

thx for the input all -

As far as mods go;
Supra 3.76 w/LSD
TEIN CS
TOM`s FLCB
TOM`s RLCB
TOM`s 6-Piece
TOM`s RSTB
TRD FSTB
B&M Trans. cooler
Blitz NUR rear muffler

If I continue on, I'll replace the Blitz with the TOM`s and possibly drop the 3.76 for stock 3.23(?)with the TRD LSD gear unit.
Old 10-24-05, 06:59 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,414 Likes on 1,583 Posts

Couple of things to make the car handle better...

- Sways as has been mentioned will make a HUGE difference. The stock ones are made of tin foil in comparison to Daizen or TRD blues.

- Get LIGHT big brakes - reducing unsprung weight at the corners makes the car feel a LOT more nimble. I put on the StopTech 14" front bbk and that drops *10lbs* a side I believe and really improves the car's feel. Don't get Supra brakes, they brake well but they're huge and heavy.

You said you might drop the Supra diff and put the stock one with TRD LSD in - why? Nothing wrong with the TRD lsd of course but I'd seriously miss the Supra's lowered gearing and off the line grunt.

Do you not have the Precision torque converter? If not, you MUST get it!

My car has similar mods to yours and does NOT creak.

If you wanted more capable handling you might have gotten Tein Flex instead of CS too. Do you have EDFC at least to adjust stiffness easily?

Finally, you said this:

Basically I want to shred through corners, and be a rocket at all speeds. All with the Toyota/Lexus styling. The GS may be the wrong platform for this, at least not without an over the top investment.
You don't want much do ya? LOL 'Rocket' is relative but I find my car plenty fast enough. I'd enjoy better steering and a smaller car now and then but it's nice to be able to carry a week's worth of groceries or a couple of golf bags and carts too.
Old 10-24-05, 07:08 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TLW

Now im just going to cruuuuuuise
Smart man!
Old 10-24-05, 07:56 PM
callaghan.
Rookie

honestly, if you were looking for a sports car to touge and auto-x, a heavy 4 door with a v8 wasn't the route to go. not that the potential isnt there for these cars, its just you're expecting alittle too much. They made the IS to be the sportier sedan.
Old 10-24-05, 08:06 PM
HKGS300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Tein CS are not really designed to give the best possible handling. The demping force is too low, so aggressive drivers are better of with the Tein Flex or the Bilstein PSS.

and ... get some sways ...
Old 10-24-05, 09:28 PM
Lvangundy

We'll see..

Thanks all!
Old 10-24-05, 10:37 PM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by HKGS300
The Tein CS are not really designed to give the best possible handling. The demping force is too low, so aggressive drivers are better of with the Tein Flex or the Bilstein PSS.

and ... get some sways ...
The Tom's items are nice for a little extra chassis stifening but by far the greatest improvement in handling will come from the installation of front/rear sway bars. Many times over the improvement you perceived from the chassis bracing. Talk to Todd at TM Engineering, he will help you determine what will get you to where you want to be.