GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Interior Trim replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-05, 08:21 AM
EyesOnly
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior Trim replacement

Greetings CL! I finally got my 2000 GS 400 (black exterior/tan interior) and I'm thrilled! I'll post some pictures when I get the chance in a few days here.

I've done some searching on this topic, but still have some questions:

The wood trim in the car is in pretty bad shape- the car came from Texas, and despite the tinted windows, I think it got hot enough to peel a lot of the wood trim. A couple pieces of the plastic overlay are actually broken off. Everything else is in STELLAR condition.

I was searching for a 'dash kit' or 'wood trim' replacement, but all I can find are the 7-piece kits that replace the lower console and door inserts. I want to know if there's anywhere I can buy an ENTIRE trim kit (Vents, gauge cluster, stereo, etc.) that actually looks good. The blackwood kits look pretty nice, but if they're just stick-on overlays, how long will they really last? I'm in Seattle, so heat isn't ever going to be an issue

Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old 10-24-05, 09:26 AM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by EyesOnly
Greetings CL! I finally got my 2000 GS 400 (black exterior/tan interior) and I'm thrilled! I'll post some pictures when I get the chance in a few days here.

I've done some searching on this topic, but still have some questions:

The wood trim in the car is in pretty bad shape- the car came from Texas, and despite the tinted windows, I think it got hot enough to peel a lot of the wood trim. A couple pieces of the plastic overlay are actually broken off. Everything else is in STELLAR condition.

I was searching for a 'dash kit' or 'wood trim' replacement, but all I can find are the 7-piece kits that replace the lower console and door inserts. I want to know if there's anywhere I can buy an ENTIRE trim kit (Vents, gauge cluster, stereo, etc.) that actually looks good. The blackwood kits look pretty nice, but if they're just stick-on overlays, how long will they really last? I'm in Seattle, so heat isn't ever going to be an issue

Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Not sure exactly what you're asking but, the vents, cluster and stereo do not come with wood trim from the factory. The OEM wood trim will not peel, its not stick on. But Lexus did not put wood trim on the parts you mention.
Old 10-24-05, 09:48 AM
EyesOnly
Driver

That's interesting- I just bought the car, so I assumed that a car with 'wood trim' included what is installed on my car. Maybe the previous owner put a wood trim kit on it... I suppose I should try and find some pictures of the 'stock' wood trim. Mine has trim around both side vents, behind the steering wheel around the gauge cluster, the main vents above the climate control, and all around the shifter and cupholder area. Now I'm really confused...
Old 10-24-05, 10:18 AM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by EyesOnly
That's interesting- I just bought the car, so I assumed that a car with 'wood trim' included what is installed on my car. Maybe the previous owner put a wood trim kit on it... I suppose I should try and find some pictures of the 'stock' wood trim. Mine has trim around both side vents, behind the steering wheel around the gauge cluster, the main vents above the climate control, and all around the shifter and cupholder area. Now I'm really confused...
That's all aftermarket add-on. None of what you listed is factory trim.
Old 10-24-05, 10:42 AM
TAMR_GUS98
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Aftermarket Wood kit

Originally Posted by DetMich1
That's all aftermarket add-on. None of what you listed is factory trim.
That would explain why these items are in bad shape, and the rest is in "stellar" condition. May I suggest that you just take a heat gun and peel the aftermarket wood kit off. Then if you like all that wood, just buy another kit and reapply.
Good Luck,
Will
Old 10-24-05, 10:55 AM
EyesOnly
Driver

This is starting to make sense. If this stuff's not factory, then what's supposed to go there? (I don't like the wood that much anyway)
Old 10-24-05, 07:11 PM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

Nothing......, just the stock dash. Here's a pic of my '01 dash:

http://www.mtaonline.net/~gweast/Sam.../01430dash.jpg
Old 10-24-05, 07:30 PM
EyesOnly
Driver

That looks way better. I messed around with some of the trim, and dang, this stuff is garbage. I'll pull it off and clean it up, and make it actually look classy. I now know that 'wood trim' was not an option on the GS