GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

SRT INTAKE for GS400

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-01, 11:24 PM
-Lexus-GS400-
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone give me their thoughts on the srt intake for their gs...
Did it really make a difference in H.P.
Whats the best price i can buy one for?

Everyones info will help...THANKS
Old 07-23-01, 01:33 AM
gsintensive
Lexus Test Driver

hm LEXUSGS400 I would recommand you to hold on to that thought, from several members' experiences, they don't make an noticeable difference. Since Swifts piggy back ECU is non programmable, so it would be very limited of what it is capable of.

However, Me and my friends (Y2kGS) are trying out the combo of Weapon R intake (which sucks in much more air than Swift's) and Apexi AFC ECU. (programmable) It is easy to get these two now, and we are waiting for a profession to tune it. I believe a lots of members have exhaust on their rides, so AFC/weapon R combo would really do the job. Since there is never comfirmed 0-60, and 1/4 mile run gains, we will be doing every test and bring out the best "comfirmed" result.

I think it is definitely worth a try be4 you spend your 700 on swift.

Apexi/Weapon R would cost around 600. ( we are tuning it, so only the first "lab rat" GS would have to pay the Tuning fee )'

so.. hope that help.

SRT's intake is nice as well... If you like it now is a good time to buy it. I am just a more performance driven type. ^^ especially when it comes more t han $500 spending. these New sway bars just made my car handles like a dream. THANKS STEVE!

peace
Old 07-23-01, 03:38 AM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Default No confirmed HP gains????

gsintensive???, the SRT HP gains have been confirmed using an SAE adjusted Dyno...The results are posted on
www.swiftracing.com (and they are impressive not only on paper but in real world use as well) .....Be VERY careful no matter WHO you let tune the Apexi AFC... It is a fact that there is VERY little margin for error using this method....Mo's intake is tuned to remain compliant with all of the Lexus factory emmision paramiters thus avoiding check engine lights and other problems. Also, I got my SRT unit for $600 during a group buy he offered....This is not to say that the Apexi will not work or that it will be immediately harmful to your engine if it isnt tuned perfectly....But, over the long haul though(i.e everyday use for a few years), if the Apexi is tweeked a bit lean or a bit rich, you WILL shorten the life of your engine....The ONLY advantage to using the Apexi is that if YOU are the "expert" tuner you can actually tweek the Apexi for short bursts and then go back to more conservative settings...But, dont expect JUST the Air/Fuel mix to bring a night and day performance difference to the table...Just MTC...
I know you LOVE your car and have ALOT of experience with mods, etc. I dont mean to be preaching here because Im no expert either, but be careful when tuning the Apexi unit......You want to see 150k miles right??? hahahaha Tiny
Old 07-23-01, 07:44 AM
fever
Lead Lap

I would heavily advise against any other intake other than Swift's, AT THIS POINT. GSintensive, no offense, but you can tell a large difference with the SRT intake vs. stock. 30 ponies and 40 pounds is definitely felt. My advice is to find a member in your area who has this installed and be your own judge.
Old 07-23-01, 08:21 AM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

==>no one gonna setup the Apexi for maximum leanning of the air/fuel mixture, common sense, play around the +/- 0 level setting.
also, there are 2 O2 sensors, you can only do much damage to the engine in WOT mode, (ie ~>6k rpm running),
in close loop mode, the 2 O2 will en-rich or lean out your mixture according the the ECU factory (safe) preset fuel curve.

I have used the Apexi on my Honda Prelude 97, and putting 80K miles on it, tuned myself, never been in the dealer before, the car runs perfectly fine
(i meant, never have any trouble or any trouble ever before, and I am running my car at redline ~8000 rpm 4-5 times / week, every week)

Apexi is very simple to use, and it is a very sofisticate device (had been proven to work for many or all import car)

I don't doubt that SRT intake and ECU works fine. All I am saying is, you are into tunning your car and add more stuff in the car in the future, Apexi S-AFC is the way to go. I've seen many supra tt have this unit on their car, seem like it does work

just my .02
Anh

Last edited by BananaGS; 07-23-01 at 08:46 AM.
Old 07-23-01, 09:17 AM
gsintensive
Lexus Test Driver

To TinyGS, there is not yet a confirmed 0-60 runs or quarter mile run is there? I assume faster time means the whole point of modding your engine? I been in the Y2kGS' gs400 with SRT/intake/tc, all I felt was pretty much the TC. When Y2kGS took off his ECU, there is no difference at all, or at least not that I can feel of. I really didn't see much difference towards SRT's system.

as for Tuning, I will either have my car tuned by XS engineering, or SP? and I am sure Y2kgs would have plenty of sources to go to... I mean real professional ones ^o^.

Wish us luck, we will do the full scale test/dyno, to make sure its reliability. so we will see soon.

Old 07-23-01, 09:36 AM
RacingAristo

How much for professional tuning and installation?
Old 07-23-01, 09:40 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Am I Wasting My Time & Tires?

Whoa on the lack of input data!! Just go to the Lexus Q&A & check my posts on 0-60 mph runs. I've also got dyno slips to back up Mo's claims of HP & torque increases, albeit rear wheel power. I don't know what the deal was with Y2's ECU but I had mine go out on me & the 'Check Engine" light came on & the GS ran rough, especially at idle. The bypass plug Mo includes got me home but even at highway speeds I could tell that the power was gone. I do hope ya'll get this APEXi thing worked out as it might enable those of us who R considering squeeze to change our injectors for higher flowing ones & adjust the air/fuel mixture to work with them. Good Luck!
Old 07-23-01, 09:50 AM
gsintensive
Lexus Test Driver

MEANGENE...... yeah exactly, we didn't feel the extra "30" hp and "40" more torque at all. that's why we have to try out another method for it.

Dennis. I am not sure. i think around 150, as soon as we get the first one tuned and working correctly, tuning the rest would just be a walk in the park.

Y2kgs decides he is willing to put his GS for the first to tuning Apexi/weapon R combo. so let's wait!! hyped up?
Old 07-23-01, 10:30 AM
fever
Lead Lap

I'm puzzled that you couldn't feel the proven 10% increase in horsepower. You are absolutely the only person I have ever heard of that couldn't tell a difference from SRT intake/ecu versus stock. Oddly strange. Perhaps you got a bum system or didn't install properly. And until you're running forced induction what's the point of fooling with another intake? Nobody can beat SRT at this point.
Old 07-23-01, 12:47 PM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by gsintensive

Dennis. I am not sure. i think around 150, as soon as we get the first one tuned and working correctly, tuning the rest would just be a walk in the park.
Be careful in making a cookie cutter solution for all GS4's with the S-AFC. Every car is different with a different set of mods. Therefore, just because you get data points for one GS it doesn't mean you will get the same for another car. That's why you may still have to go conservative and you will wind up with the same results as the SRT ECU. Most people are uncomfortable fiddling with the fuel deilvery and timing system. Others don't know enough but love to fiddle and can cause more harm then good to their engines. You need to let everyone know that this is still a very customized solution on a per car basis.

I know y2kgs will get the best results out of his setup because he will have it tuned professionally. Everyone else may not get the same results and may even do harm to their engine if they just go by the numbers provided by y2kgs. I just wouldn't want y2kgs getting all these angry e-mails or phone calls blaming him for blowing up their own engine because they leaned it out...It is definitely NOT idiot-proof. In fact, I would recommend that y2kgs not post the S-AFC numbers publicly but contact him privately through e-mail (just looking out for you bro - wouldn't want people suing you later. ) I used to own the Super AVC-R BC for my TT and I was a bit scared everytime I fiddled with it. I know the results may not be as drastic but the philosophy is similar.

At least with the SRT the data points are SET and no one can change it. Best advice for any one interested in doing this setup is to get it tuned by an expert in the S-AFC (ie, Xcess Engineering, etc). It usually takes about 2 hours and costs up to $150/hr.

I wish you guys luck - it would be nice if someone got some real world numbers....

Brent
Old 07-23-01, 01:46 PM
RacingAristo

I'm looking forward to see the result.
Too bad I already sold my S-AFC. Anyone going to Japan soon, Ray?
Old 07-23-01, 03:05 PM
y2kgs
Pole Position

whats up guys,

why is my name popping up everywhere. don't have the APEXI yet but will get it soon. The bottom line is that I will be adding a different intake and use the APEXI to tune it when I get the unit.
Brent, Thanks man and nicely said. Once all is done I will offer the info. but only my email. Don't get the wrong idea everyone about Swift. They are one of the first tuners that started working on the Lexus so we all should be greatful for that. Reality is that more and more mods will be out for the GS and will not always be from Swift. Why I am adding or changing the intake is cause of performance not HP. There are many cars out there that has 600-800HP but the performance # sucks RIGHT. Plus I want something that can be adjusted when other mods are added. HP is nice but performance # are best.
Lets please stop all this fighting
Old 07-23-01, 03:21 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

y2kgs number and settings would be a starting point for others.
There are alot of setting on the S-AFC, I need a starting point on the fuel setting (in stead of just playing around), can then I can tune my car base on looking at my Air/Fuel meter

Have anyone ever heard anything about S-AFC blow up engine in car before? any car not just Lexus. I am in the import tunning thingy for several years now, have not heard any story on S-AFC and blow up engine. (I am on hondaprelude.com, and maxima.org, now clublexus)

If you are saying "Every car is different with a different set of mods" then SRT ECU can also blow up my car, since it's built with a fixed setting for all GS400 or all GS430. how do I know that SRT setting is best for my car? :eek:
correct?
I agree with everyone comment on how good is SRT intake/service. I have nothing again SRT intake or swift-racing, i just want to see fellow lexus trying new things.

At least for me, if I am afraid that i am gonna blow up the engine, i would not cut the ECU wire to put in the SRT intake in the first place or putting on a torque converter, i know if the dealer see it, they gonna try to null my warrantly.

I am glad to see g2kgs doing this, I want to explore the possibility (alternative intakes), I don't want to look at someone proven dyno 2 years ago, I want to see more recent dyno charts from different member
I've been working w cars for about 3 years now, I learn not to trust the manufacture claims or someone claim who had just spent a fortune on the mods, their claims are bias.

If we don't try new things, then what is the point of customizing the car?

just my 0.02cents

Anh
Old 07-23-01, 05:08 PM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by BananaGS
y2kgs number and settings would be a starting point for others.
There are alot of setting on the S-AFC, I need a starting point on the fuel setting (in stead of just playing around), can then I can tune my car base on looking at my Air/Fuel meter

Have anyone ever heard anything about S-AFC blow up engine in car before? any car not just Lexus. I am in the import tunning thingy for several years now, have not heard any story on S-AFC and blow up engine. (I am on hondaprelude.com, and maxima.org, now clublexus)

If you are saying "Every car is different with a different set of mods" then SRT ECU can also blow up my car, since it's built with a fixed setting for all GS400 or all GS430. how do I know that SRT setting is best for my car? :eek:
correct?
I agree with everyone comment on how good is SRT intake/service. I have nothing again SRT intake or swift-racing, i just want to see fellow lexus trying new things.

At least for me, if I am afraid that i am gonna blow up the engine, i would not cut the ECU wire to put in the SRT intake in the first place or putting on a torque converter, i know if the dealer see it, they gonna try to null my warrantly.

I am glad to see g2kgs doing this, I want to explore the possibility (alternative intakes), I don't want to look at someone proven dyno 2 years ago, I want to see more recent dyno charts from different member
I've been working w cars for about 3 years now, I learn not to trust the manufacture claims or someone claim who had just spent a fortune on the mods, their claims are bias.

If we don't try new things, then what is the point of customizing the car?

just my 0.02cents

Anh
Anh,

Nobody is saying it can't be done or shouldn't be done. I am just filling in the gaps so that everyone on this forum has a better idea of what is going on.

If you have experience tuning with the S-AFC that's great! Then y2kgs will give you some tips right off the bat. Keep in mind though, not everyone has the same experience as you do. Not everyone is willing to fiddle with the S-AFC like you will. The SRT is as plug and play as you can get. THe ECU is already modified so that if you prefer not to tune, then you can't. How can you guarantee if the original poster won't go out, follow this mod, add an S-AFC and lean out the engine? Then, he comes back and says "Well, BananaGS said it would work and it doesn't." What are you going to tell him, F-off? Go away don't bother me? I will pay for your damages? I will help you fix your car? You never know how people will react. Sure, you have never heard of engines being blown by mistuning the S-AFC but the risks are still there. One wrong data entry point and you could lean out the engine - so the engine may not blow, but I don't think someone would be too happy either if he heard rocks in a tin can coming from the engine. (Telltale sign of detonation for those scratching their heads.)

I was just adding a word of caution and that is - it's not as easy as it looks and it's not for everyone. You may have no problem, but I am just looking out for the other guys. This is a forum right? Did you read my last sentence? It says, I wish y2kgs the best of luck and hopefully he will get some results. If I feel it's the way to go, I may go the same route myself. Peace.

Brent

Quick Reply: SRT INTAKE for GS400