GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

To all who have had to replace the notorious STARTER on GS4!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-05, 09:05 AM
1stREALCAR
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To all who have had to replace the notorious STARTER on GS4!

Well as some may know my starter is kickin the bucket just like it seems to with many others on here. And the consensus is that 7 years is a long time for a starter to last...but I never had a problem with the starter on the two 15 year old cars I used to drive. Anyways, I digress...So the dealership (not Lexus) I bought the car from three weeks ago is giving me a deal to change the starter for $650 (they said it was their cost, Lexus quoted me $1154). But I have a very inclined friend who insists that if we just get into the starter it probably just needs a good micropolish and graphite lubing to the Bendex (this is mechanic talk thats over my head).

Anyways, my question is, if I do go the route of the dealership, what other birds can I kill while they're in there with the intake manifold off? I want to get as much done as possible to get it out of the way. The car has 101,000 miles on it and Lexus did do the big 90K service. Secondly, has anyone else on here just done the polish and lube to the starter and had it work fine after that? I was gonna buy some wheels from Lexism but now this is puttin a damper on things. Thanks all for any help.
Old 10-26-05, 10:51 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

water pump and alternator.
Old 10-26-05, 10:57 AM
svt5150
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

650 is a good price. It is a lot of work on the GS4. I paid around 900 from my Lexus dealership.
Old 10-26-05, 12:21 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

I did mine rebuilt myself for $5.
Old 10-26-05, 12:26 PM
JellyBean
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

If your friend is truly mechanically inclined AND knows what he's getting into AND has the shop manuals for your car, then do it. I consider myself very mechanically inclined (rebuilt and replaced couple of engines, changed clutches, redid brakes, etc., all on previous cars). I just got shop manuals for the GS, and was floored by the complexity of these cars--especially the electronics. I don't want to discourage your friend, but just ensure that he's up to the task. Good luck.

JB
Old 10-26-05, 01:01 PM
bmgs400
Lexus Champion

Do a search and you'll find that member chuckb had rebuilt his too. He bought the starter rebuild kit from Toyota I believe. If you have the technical ability and time you'll save a bundle.
Old 10-26-05, 01:16 PM
1stREALCAR
Driver School Candidate

Can I get some details on this one blacksc?
Old 10-26-05, 01:37 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

well, you need to know what are you doing first. Basically you need to drain the coolant and disconnect the hoses, unplug all sensor that is in the way, take off intake, and vacuum hoses, then you will eventually get to take off the intake maniford. rebuilting the starter is simple, just replacing the center copper piece.
It is a lot of work, take me and my friend for 5 hours to complete. But hell, if Lexus is charging over 1000 to do it, I would do it myself.
Good luck.
Old 10-26-05, 02:01 PM
c33w
Rookie

I posted a request on the engine forum about a starter diagram, because I am going to replace the starter myself.

If any of you have it scanned, can you post it or send it to me at cslw33@yahoo.com

That would save me a lot of time.
Thanks!
Old 10-27-05, 10:39 AM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by c33w
I posted a request on the engine forum about a starter diagram, because I am going to replace the starter myself.

If any of you have it scanned, can you post it or send it to me at cslw33@yahoo.com

That would save me a lot of time.
Thanks!
If you do it yourself , take pics and post please. Here is the info. from the 01 GS430 service manual should be the same *** GS400. If your going to rebuld the starter I'll scan those pages if you need them.

The following users liked this post:
Rickna (12-20-18)
Old 10-27-05, 12:12 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bmgs400
Do a search and you'll find that member chuckb had rebuilt his too. He bought the starter rebuild kit from Toyota I believe. If you have the technical ability and time you'll save a bundle.
The starter I rebuilt was actually the one for my ES. Once you get to the starter it's the same process, but getting the starter out of the ES did not require removing much stuff, unlike the GS.

I don't know how different the starters are, but my es was just click sometimes when you turn key, I replaced solenoid contacts and sanded plunger, worked like a champ. $15 for the contacts from toyota.

this showed me how......
http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/starter/
Old 10-27-05, 12:44 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

you gotta be kidding!!!! It costs $1100+ to change a starter on a GS??????? WTF? I remember doing one on a Jetta... It took a total of 20 minutes. Although that's a FWD car...
Old 10-27-05, 01:07 PM
jskim9
Rookie

wow, just finding out for the first time that the starter sit below the intake manifold... that's just about the most retarded thing I've ever seen Toyota do. That's something you'd expect from a European car, didn't think Toyota designers would be so thoughtless. What next? Put the air filter in your dash board and you have to take the entire dash and steering wheel off to replace that? I'm so dissappointed that they couldn't place the starter in front of the engine, like every other longitudinally engine that I can think of... That's just . Is the GS300 engine that way too? Man, after touting to everyone of Toyota's engineering prowess....
Old 10-27-05, 01:25 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jskim9
wow, just finding out for the first time that the starter sit below the intake manifold... that's just about the most retarded thing I've ever seen Toyota do. That's something you'd expect from a European car, didn't think Toyota designers would be so thoughtless. What next? Put the air filter in your dash board and you have to take the entire dash and steering wheel off to replace that? I'm so dissappointed that they couldn't place the starter in front of the engine, like every other longitudinally engine that I can think of... That's just . Is the GS300 engine that way too? Man, after touting to everyone of Toyota's engineering prowess....
Unfortunately, the starter has to be right next to the transmission. I don't think Toyota WANTED it to be there, but HAD to put it there. The starter doesn't start the engine ... it starts the transmission (Flywheel on Manual cars), which inherently starts the motor.

Oh, and as for the air filter... VW Beetles already have the air filter in the dash. The allergy filter is in the dash and you have to take the top part of the dash apart to get it out... Crazy Germans...
Old 10-27-05, 02:00 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Stage3
you gotta be kidding!!!! It costs $1100+ to change a starter on a GS??????? WTF? I remember doing one on a Jetta... It took a total of 20 minutes. Although that's a FWD car...

it only took me 20 minutes to remove starter from my ES too, the GS is just different.

Quick Reply: To all who have had to replace the notorious STARTER on GS4!