GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

platinum or black tint?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-01, 07:35 AM
dasenzasian
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey guys,

i can get some of ur opinions on which tint would look good on a silver gs. my tinter told me that with the platinum tint sometimes u can see right through while other times u cant see anything. i just want ur experiences and opinions of both colored tints. thanks.

-Ray
Old 07-24-01, 07:47 AM
cklex

BLACK BLACK BLACK!!

i had the same dilemma...black tint is a better quality and looks classy...i'm only 18 and i still went wit the classy look...i'm very happy..

i was lookin into getin the fade but its a lexus, don't get anythin but black, u'll be very satisfied
Old 07-24-01, 10:15 PM
-Lexus-GS400-
Rookie

my buddy just got platinum tint on his ride and it looks sweet...IMO
Old 07-24-01, 10:23 PM
y2kgs
Pole Position

go with platinum, looks nice on sliver cars as well. The plus side is cops will go after black tint rather than platinum. trust me
Old 07-24-01, 11:28 PM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

I think if you are gonna make the black tint 15%, then do it. Otherwise if you're gonna do legal tint (in Hawaii it's 35%) then go with the platinum. Silver cars are the only ones that look good with platinum tint IMO.

Aloha
Attached Thumbnails platinum or black tint?-work-equip.jpg  
Old 07-24-01, 11:30 PM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

Default sorry about the last post

i was kinda messing with my computer and didn't realize I was sending this. Sorry
Old 07-24-01, 11:37 PM
Intellexual
Lead Lap

What do you guys think would look best on a white GS?

Is Platinum synonymous with "metallized" and "mirror" tints?

does "Platinum" also mean it is silver like a mirror? Because I have seen some metallized tints w/ a green shade much like whats on the RX300. I think ErickG also has this on his sweet Veilside GS...

Also, do they have metallized black tint?

What are the advantages of metallized tints? I hear they dont fade into that nasty purplish color fate normal black tints are doomed to change to.

Any ideas/suggestions?
Old 07-25-01, 12:17 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hi intel

you are correct. platinum usually means not just metallic, but also more reflective, almost mirror tint.

a metallic film w/hint of green shade tone is most likely "Titanium" film. this is not as reflective as platinum.

actually tint film technology has improved a great deal over the years. you CAN get blk tint without metal particle and the film still would be good for many years. however, many blk films i have seen on the market have metal particle in them. just make sure that you do not get "DYED" film to save few $$$. in 3 years tops, the back would be infested with bubbles, especially in s.cal.

in terms of most reflective to the least, they run in this order:

Quantum, Platinum, Titanium

on a white GS(i assume you have white), there are 2 schools of preference.
the traditional ones like just blk tint, nothing too dramatic.

imo, silver and white looked good in something w/metal particles. i had a small doubt about quantum/platinum on a white GS until i took my buddy to have his white GS tinted with quantum. he went 35% all around, and my tint guy did a superb job it looked so much like factory tint.

if you need a good place to go in san gabriel valley, let me know.

william
Old 07-25-01, 12:43 AM
Erick G
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my green tint comes from the glass
not the tint itself

my tint guy has shown me other card with the same tint as mine
and there is no green tint to it

Old 07-25-01, 01:32 AM
Intellexual
Lead Lap

Thanks for the responses guys.

Sure, gs4will, i'll take you up on your offer for a good tint place in San Gabriel Valley. Can you post that info here or PM it to me? or email me at clk-gtr@home.com

I was also wondering how much your friend's tint job at that shop cost him...

thanks...

Erick, I really like your tint. Wow, its pretty unbelievable that the stock windows (though I do detect a hint of green) made the windows look that green. I guess the tint just brought it out that more. Nevertheless, I REALLY like that look....can you tell me the 'specs' on the tint on your car? Like brand, %, and whether it was metallic or not?

Thanks a lot.
Old 07-25-01, 07:09 AM
dasenzasian
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone have any pics of a silver gs with a platinum tint on it? or with a black tint?
Old 07-27-01, 02:01 PM
JPritch
Rookie

Just another vote here for the Platinum tint on a silver car. It looks sweet. Saw a silver IS the other day with it and I was in awe!!!

Would go with black on any other color car though.
Old 07-27-01, 02:31 PM
RacingAristo

definitely go with platinum tint with silver GS.
Old 07-27-01, 03:34 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'll post a thread at the bottom about tinting from a month or so ago.. Personally I hate the silver mirror tint.. Way too RICE for my taste.. The Quantum Black Mirror tints look sweet IMO and that is what I put on my GS.. Page 2 there are some pics of my car showing the tint.. Hope that helps!

https://www.clublexus.com/vb/showthr...threadid=17301
Old 07-27-01, 03:44 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by 2SAVVY
I'll post a thread at the bottom about tinting from a month or so ago.. Personally I hate the silver mirror tint.. Way too RICE for my taste.. The Quantum Black Mirror tints look sweet IMO and that is what I put on my GS.. Page 2 there are some pics of my car showing the tint.. Hope that helps!

https://www.clublexus.com/vb/showthr...threadid=17301
2SAVVY, still no luck in finding that Rod Millen GS400 with mirror tints . I e-mailed the RMM site saying SPECIFICALLY that I want the pic of the silver GS400 with MIRROR MIRROR TINTS !

The idiot responds back and said "Sure, here it is". He sends me a pic of a silver GS400 with no tints on it with a pic of the RMM bodykit?! I wonder how "high" he was before he responded to my mail

Quick Reply: platinum or black tint?