GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Reset ECU observations

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-05, 05:05 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Reset ECU observations

Okay, so I reset the ECU last night (turned key on, floored accelerator, turned key off, released accelerator). Here are my observations on the results. Now, I preface this by saying that I don't even know if I did it right, and even if I did do it right, I'm not so sure this is the proper way to reset the ECU. However, that being said, I do believe that I felt a difference this morning in the responsiveness of the car. Again, I could totally be imagining this, and it wouldn't be surprising because I am definitely a bit of a head case, but the one thing that felt different to me was that the car seemed interested in holding the gears longer (as if it were in power mode). My one issue with the performance of my car was that it always seemed very eager to find the next gear, even under moderate acceleration. I felt this morning as if the car was more responsive in that it held the gear it was in for a longer period of time. Anyway, just my observations. I could be dreaming all of this up.

e
Old 10-31-05, 05:07 PM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i didnt know u could resest ur ecu that way...

interesting....
Old 10-31-05, 05:10 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by joshoowa
i didnt know u could resest ur ecu that way...

interesting....
I didn't either. There was a thread about it a few nights ago.
Old 10-31-05, 05:35 PM
e-diddy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by e-man
Okay, so I reset the ECU last night (turned key on, floored accelerator, turned key off, released accelerator). Here are my observations on the results. Now, I preface this by saying that I don't even know if I did it right, and even if I did do it right, I'm not so sure this is the proper way to reset the ECU. However, that being said, I do believe that I felt a difference this morning in the responsiveness of the car. Again, I could totally be imagining this, and it wouldn't be surprising because I am definitely a bit of a head case, but the one thing that felt different to me was that the car seemed interested in holding the gears longer (as if it were in power mode). My one issue with the performance of my car was that it always seemed very eager to find the next gear, even under moderate acceleration. I felt this morning as if the car was more responsive in that it held the gear it was in for a longer period of time. Anyway, just my observations. I could be dreaming all of this up.

e
So, with that said, it is a possibility that your mind is playing tricks on you. I guess the differance is not that noticeable to where you are unsure if there was a change or you are just imagining it.

I did read the earlier thread and it sounds like you did it as the earlier thread states.
Old 10-31-05, 05:40 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by e-diddy
So, with that said, it is a possibility that your mind is playing tricks on you. I guess the differance is not that noticeable to where you are unsure if there was a change or you are just imagining it.

I did read the earlier thread and it sounds like you did it as the earlier thread states.
Well, I agree that my mind could be playing tricks on me, however, if it is, it's a pretty good trick because I do feel that the difference was noticeable. I normally don't drive my car very hard, and I was definitely getting on it more today than I have in a while.
Old 10-31-05, 05:44 PM
e-diddy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by e-man
Well, I agree that my mind could be playing tricks on me, however, if it is, it's a pretty good trick because I do feel that the difference was noticeable. I normally don't drive my car very hard, and I was definitely getting on it more today than I have in a while.

Hmmm.............interesting. I may try this some time this week. I usually drive my car hard, so I hope I notice a change if there is any.

Anyways, I guess I'll come back to this thread and let CL know how it goes. I'm sure other members while chime in though.
Old 10-31-05, 05:50 PM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

ohh nvm im a ding bat
Old 10-31-05, 05:54 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

i dont know but doesnt it seem kinda scary to turn off the car while reving the car ...
LOL. Yeah, that would be scary. You just turn the key to the "on" position (the position right before the starter kicks in). The car is not on. With the key in the on position, you floor the accelerator for 4-5 seconds. Then with the accelerator still depressed, you turn the key off and then release the accelerator. Again, this is just what the previous thread said to do. I don't know if it's legit or not.
Old 10-31-05, 05:55 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

ohh nvm im a ding bat
I guess I got to your post before you had the chance to edit it. Sorry about that. So, unfortunately, your post lives on.