GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

i MIGHT sell the GS I'm Tired of It!!.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-05, 09:50 PM
Alexus-Kia
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry i MIGHT sell the GS I'm Tired of It!!.....

Well today was a pretty warm day on the east coast about 60degres for Oct 31st which was nice!

I go out side into my garage to start my car and...............
The damn thing WOULDN'T start!!!
I tried it a few times with NO LUCK so about after 15mins of "Trouble shooting it" I just drove my truck. This was at about 3:15Pm.

So at about 7:30 i try one more time to turn it over NO LUCK the car wont start STILL. I am so mad!

I know i need a new O2plug because i had a diognostic test done last week because my engine light came on.

Then my amp went out for some reason, when i turned the radio ON, the amp didnt come in. And now my car wont start!
My car did this like Twice last winter, and once more a few months ago, but if i waited like 15mins and tried again it ALWAYS STARTED.

This is really getting Stressful and i have no idea what it could be...ITS NOT THE BATTERY or connectors i know that much.
When i try to start it it just makes that (ehhhh,ehhhh,ehhhh)screaching noise!!

If one more thing goes wrong IM SELLING IT!!

If anyone knows what it might be please let me know im about to search to do more reasearch!!

Thanks,
Kia
Old 10-31-05, 09:55 PM
tuddy
Negative Nancy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

no dont give up on it that easy...you put alot into it just take it somewhere and have them look at it see whats the problem...good luck with everything
Old 10-31-05, 10:16 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexus-Kia
ITS NOT THE BATTERY or connectors i know that much.
How do you know this for sure? DId you replace it recently?
Old 10-31-05, 10:28 PM
Alexus-Kia
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Neo
How do you know this for sure? DId you replace it recently?
Yes battery was replaced and double checked when i had the last problem!!

Originally Posted by tuddy
no dont give up on it that easy...you put alot into it just take it somewhere and have them look at it see whats the problem...good luck with everything
Thanks Tuddy Hopefully everything will turn out fine if not i will be parting out!!
Old 10-31-05, 10:54 PM
Insomnia
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

KIa... How about taking it in to the dealer and just getting diagnosed? Atleast that will tell you if this is a major problem or not.... I know they charge 80 to 100 per hour.... but they can tell you exactly whats wrong...

Good Luck
Old 10-31-05, 11:02 PM
Alexus-Kia
Lexus Test Driver

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Insomnia
KIa... How about taking it in to the dealer and just getting diagnosed? Atleast that will tell you if this is a major problem or not.... I know they charge 80 to 100 per hour.... but they can tell you exactly whats wrong...

Good Luck
If thats the thing they hook up to the machine i got that done like 2 weeks ago, now the car wont even start to get it there!
Old 10-31-05, 11:10 PM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

does the car even crank? if it doesn't it could be the starter that is intermittently not working which would mean you have to change it.

If it cranks and it doesn't "catch" then it could be other things like no spark (coil pack or packs are bad), no fuel (fuel pump is dead) or the one problem I had, the MAF sensor was blocked and the car wouldn't start. The other things that I would check are the fuses in the engine bay or the ignition fuse in the cabin
Old 10-31-05, 11:11 PM
Lextacy400
Lead Lap

Kia, I had the same problem about a month ago when my car wouldn't start. But my situation was that I just got a click when I tried starting it and nothing happened. It was my starter that needed to be replaced. I am not sure if that is the problem with your car but DO NOT take it to Lexus for a diagnosis test, they were asking $200 just for the test. On top of it they wanted over $1000 to fix the problem when I knew it was the starter. I told them that I didn't need the test but they insisted incase it was something else. Any how I got a test done by a mechanic that i kno and got the starter fixed at Toyota for half the price.
Old 11-01-05, 02:42 AM
FunGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just hang in there, do give up yet. You'll make the rest of us lose faith in the lexus name. Yo can duit,
Old 11-01-05, 04:30 AM
aloha08isf
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

if you feel this way this do what you want...but I think if you do sell....you are going to regret it later in the future...the starter issue is just a common problems for us GS guys unfortunately
Old 11-01-05, 04:48 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

be glad it still won't start.........maybe it will stay like that when you get diagnosed so you will know the problem. intermittent electrical probs are the worst.

like everyone said, does it just click or does the starter turn over but the car just won't start?
Old 11-01-05, 05:32 AM
Ronsully
Pole Position

I would guess it is the starter going bad.
Old 11-01-05, 06:28 AM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

The circuitry to start a vehicle is generally pretty simple. I had 2 similar problems on 2 different vehicles, neither a Lexus. The 1st was a push-pull connector on the Bendix, it was just barely making contact creating a sometimes it would start sometinmes it wouldn't scenario. The 2nd case was a thin gauged wire at the positive terminal of the battery where it connected to the main battery cable, it had corroded badly inside the wire right at that terminal. Another similar situation on one of my VW's turned out ot be the ignition switch, a nightmare to diagnois. If you KNOW your battery is good, all I can suggest is grab your test light and start checking for power to the various components. Then again, there's the grab a old no good screwdriver and short the starter test, Not recommended but an effective shade tree mechanic way to test a starter while it's in the vehicle. Good Luck..............
Old 11-01-05, 07:55 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Do you have a 300 or a 400? My neighbor had a 300 and it couldn't start either and he sold it and bought a new g35.
Old 11-01-05, 08:11 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default same thing happened with my gs300

check the tightness of the battery cables on the battery post.

Mine weren't tight enough around the post and the car wasn't getting enough juice.

Your dad owns a car shop! Go have his shop take a look at it.

Clifford

Quick Reply: i MIGHT sell the GS I'm Tired of It!!.....