GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

VERY BAD NEWS Today!! Car wont start UPDATE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-05, 05:10 PM
Alexus-Kia
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry VERY BAD NEWS Today!! Car wont start UPDATE!!!

Well today i had my dad come over and check the car out.........Well to get to the point a field mouse or rat got in my Sh&T and ate CLEAN through a FEW harnesses and Amp wires and THATS why the car wouldn't start and Amp wouldn't Power up!!

SO NOW the car got towed to my dad shop (i cried watching my baby get towed, the driver was EXTRA careful) To get futher looked at and then fixed but i will DEFINITLY have to buy a new harness wire. I have enclosed some pics of the damage and If someone knows what the harness is called so i can start getting an idea!!

Not only did the little bastard Mouse eat up my wires BUT it ate my couch up!!! I AM Soooooooooo Mad and i read a story on CL b4 about a member who had $2000 in damages from a mouse!!!

Does insurance cover this????? (just wondering)

So Problem solved why the car wouldnt start!!! I have a big yard 0.48acres so i guess we get a feild mouse every once in a blue....the car was in the garage so i guess one hid in there!!!

This was my original post on this: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...3&goto=newpost

Old 11-02-05, 05:29 PM
markgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dang...that little sucker did hella damage!! Thankfully your dad was able to help you find the problem. What can you do though to prevent the little critters from coming back again (hopefully it was just an isolated incident). Glad you were able to find the answer to your woes..
Old 11-02-05, 05:31 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OMG!!!!! the Darn Mouse!!!!
and yes, the ins will cover it under Comp deductible...
GL get it fixed!!!
Old 11-02-05, 05:32 PM
mikal
Lexus Champion

did it melt? or was that all from the mouse chewing?
Old 11-02-05, 05:33 PM
Celsior Master
Lexus Test Driver

i hate those bastards too! i opened up my hood and saw fruit seeds and mouse crap under there. good thing i don't see any broken stuff. im using shake away and have a rat zapper near my car now.
Old 11-02-05, 05:34 PM
aristo400
Rookie

I hope that mouse gets cooked in the engine bay!
Old 11-02-05, 05:35 PM
GS3.0
Lexus Test Driver

Damn Kia, a mouse/rat did all that? Who would have thought? Atleast you know the car isn't the culprit and its as reliable as ever...and atleast you know you don't have to replace your starter. Best of luck getting the car on the road again.
Old 11-02-05, 05:37 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Zammm! That's one hungry mouse.
Old 11-02-05, 05:39 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry to hear about that. Mouse eating wires is not an uncommon problem. Where there's one, there are more. The little suckers are also known for eating house wires as well. Good luck in getting your car fixed and you might want to take a closer look in your garage to see if there are more of those little critters. They usually leave trails along the sides of the walls.
Old 11-02-05, 05:54 PM
Alexus-Kia
Lexus Test Driver

Unhappy

Thanks guys for the help!!!!

SO....The insurance WILL cover that??? Will it make my insurance go up??

The walls in the garage are cement blocks so wouldnt see any holes but of course they can crawl under the garage door or the entry door or from the shead.

All the damage was from CHEWING you can see where it it ther red wire clean off in one pic!!

I hope insurance WILL cover it, them lil mice will get whats coming to them TOMORROW Im Glad there not in my house!!!.......

Until then "Alexus is off the road!!"

Last edited by Alexus-Kia; 11-02-05 at 06:27 PM.
Old 11-02-05, 06:16 PM
Pavel
Rookie

just make sure that thing is not hiding inside the car. I have heard of stereo installers finding mice inside people's dashes.

As far as insurance goes. it may not go up, but here's what one cop told me: if after paying the deductible, the damage is additional 1500 or more, it's worth contacting your company. If it's less than that, they may not raise the rates, but they will definately add some points to your record. Meaning if something major should happen to your car (I hope not), the company may pay for those damages and then cancel your policy because you are considered as a"high risk" policy holder. If they cancel you, the rates of your next insurance policy will be much higher.

Not trying to scare you, but be sure that it's worth contacting your insurance.
Old 11-02-05, 06:32 PM
Alexus-Kia
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Pavel

Not trying to scare you, but be sure that it's worth contacting your insurance.
Will my home owners insurance cover it being it was IN the GARAGE??? Just checking!!
Old 11-02-05, 06:43 PM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

Homeowners ins. might cover it, can't really say. Auto comp. will cover it minus your deductible. It looks to be a rather labor intensive repair considering where that harness is. The pic makes it appear as though it runs through the firewall, plus who knows where after that. At least you know it's NOT something wrong with the car a but a unfortunate act of mother nature. I hope they are able to repair it quickly and get you back out on the streets.
Old 11-02-05, 06:55 PM
vicestan
Lead Lap

Wow Carol becarifull, you might have fried something with all those open circuits. Make sure the first thing the shop does when the new harness goes on is to run a full system check, and see if any error's show up. I know a guy in chicago who had the same thing happen to his car only the damage was done by a rat, in fact he killed the rat after he seen it in there. The rat did so much damage, but the point is after he had the harness replaced it turns out he fried his ecu and some other stuff while trying to start the car. Good luck
Old 11-02-05, 06:55 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

this will cover it.............

at least you found the problem, that's the hardest part with electrical bs.

Quick Reply: VERY BAD NEWS Today!! Car wont start UPDATE!!!