GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

3.76 Lsd finally arrived!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-05 | 06:14 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

when's install?
Old 11-05-05 | 09:11 PM
Lexy GS430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckb
when's install?
This commin monday chuck.
Old 11-06-05 | 08:20 AM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lexy GS430
This commin monday chuck.
Don't forget to bring your own gear lube
Old 11-06-05 | 08:25 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic
CL Folding 25,000

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

It's a good mod that makes a difference, however be careful in slippery situations around turns/corners as the car will FLIP around before TC kicks in under certain circumstances. A non LSD is nowhere near as prone to do this..
Been there done that-a few times.
Lee
Old 11-06-05 | 08:29 AM
Lexy GS430
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rheiy
Don't forget to bring your own gear lube
Which brand is best, where can i get some, and i believe lexus would have synthetic gear lube at their service department. Al Cl members please any input would be great.
Old 11-06-05 | 08:43 AM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Which brand is best, where can i get some, and i believe lexus would have synthetic gear lube at their service department. Al Cl members please any input would be great.
Don't count on your lexus service dept to have synthetic. I asked mine here in Charlotte and they said best to bring your own. As for what brand, there a several to select from and everyone has their own preference. As for me, I bought what I could find in the area and that was mobile 1. If you can find it, Royal Purple and or Redline are excellent oils. Btw, the 3.76 will use about 1 1/2 qts, so get 2 qts and your all set.
Old 11-06-05 | 04:29 PM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rheiy
Don't count on your lexus service dept to have synthetic. I asked mine here in Charlotte and they said best to bring your own. As for what brand, there a several to select from and everyone has their own preference. As for me, I bought what I could find in the area and that was mobile 1. If you can find it, Royal Purple and or Redline are excellent oils. Btw, the 3.76 will use about 1 1/2 qts, so get 2 qts and your all set.
I remember that some limited slip differentials required a special additive to the gear oil that came separately and was mixed in at the time of service. Does that apply in this case?
Old 11-06-05 | 04:38 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DetMich1
I remember that some limited slip differentials required a special additive to the gear oil that came separately and was mixed in at the time of service. Does that apply in this case?
Does not apply to the torsen unit. but the additive is used with the trd unit
Old 11-06-05 | 04:48 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
It's a good mod that makes a difference, however be careful in slippery situations around turns/corners as the car will FLIP around before TC kicks in under certain circumstances. A non LSD is nowhere near as prone to do this..
Lee
Especially true in snow. Turn vsc off and with moderate gas, the tail will kick out in a flash.
Caution: Doing this should only be attempted in a wide open space or u risk having the a@@ end of your car hitting the guy next to you.
Old 11-06-05 | 06:03 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,525 Likes on 1,661 Posts

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
Lee
Lee - I think this is more of an issue with an LSD not because of the LSD itself but because, as you say, TC/VSC kicks in so strongly on a non-LSD car that the speed and chance of a skip is lessened.

With an LSD the car IS more capable, but there's limits of course and the VSC WON'T kick in usually until it's too late.

I guess we're saying the same thing.
Old 11-06-05 | 08:14 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic
CL Folding 25,000

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Your right Paul, actually what happens is that since both wheels are moving at the same time on a LSD, the car will easily spin out on control in a corner in slippery conditions. If both wheels are spinning-there is nothing to control the rear end-not even TC/VSC will help you as the computer does not notice a change between the wheels speed. The car is actually much more dangerous with a LSD than a 1 leg car by nature in cornering. LSD is good only for straight line acceleration, not corners where it makes little/no difference in a car with electronics programmed for a non LSD vehicle. In other words-drive carefully in rain/snow through corners with LSD because once it goes-you will lose it fast and TC/VSC will never kick in fast enough if at all. That said I will still be installing a LSD 3.76 unit into my SC when the time arrives since I know what to expect. Still a great mod.
Lee

Last edited by Pearlpower; 11-06-05 at 08:17 PM.
Old 11-06-05 | 10:51 PM
TAMR_GUS98
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 3.76 Lsd

Lexy,
Congrats on your latest mod. Are you still gonna get the PI TC? Even with the CEL concerns on the GS430's. I just added the LSD to my GS400 a few months ago. I just love it. Worth every penny.
Will
Old 11-07-05 | 05:38 PM
Lexy GS430
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TAMR_GUS98
Lexy,
Congrats on your latest mod. Are you still gonna get the PI TC? Even with the CEL concerns on the GS430's. I just added the LSD to my GS400 a few months ago. I just love it. Worth every penny.
Will
Will, thanks it should be done tomorrow, and i plan to do the tc next .
Old 11-08-05 | 06:35 PM
Lexy GS430
Lexus Test Driver

Default Lsd Done!!!

WOW, is all i can say. I can't believe how responsive it is. When i step on it it just go's. Like what everyone that has one says, it does feel like it wants to break lose even with trc on. Rpm is at 3K at 80 mph, shifting is smooth through all gears wow, and it's so much more quiter then before for some reason. My car is still new with only 12K on odo so all parts on her is still new. Exhaust drone from HKS is less not that it was loud at all. Pi tc is on next rite away. All i can say is that i am so happy with this mod that if i could do any mod over again it would be the 3.76 lsd, and Pi tc first it is that important. I love this mod alot, and i do want to say one thing, if anyone is thinking or plannig to do this mod just do it it is worth every penny period.
Old 11-09-05 | 11:53 AM
lalexusgs
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

WOW, is all i can say. I can't believe how responsive it is. When i step on it it just go's. Like what everyone that has one says, it does feel like it wants to break lose even with trc on. Rpm is at 3K at 80 mph, shifting is smooth through all gears wow, and it's so much more quiter then before for some reason. My car is still new with only 12K on odo so all parts on her is still new. Exhaust drone from HKS is less not that it was loud at all. Pi tc is on next rite away. All i can say is that i am so happy with this mod that if i could do any mod over again it would be the 3.76 lsd, and Pi tc first it is that important. I love this mod alot, and i do want to say one thing, if anyone is thinking or plannig to do this mod just do it it is worth every penny period.

Well, 3.76 LSD is good for GS4, but what would be an adequate option for GS3?

Quick Reply: 3.76 Lsd finally arrived!