GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

BMW 530 vs GS400 ??????

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-01, 10:55 AM
y2kgs
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Brent, well I didn't start the fight but will end it.
In reality its the person and not always the car but still
hate most of the Bimmer owners for thinking that they are better.
Old 07-25-01, 12:05 PM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by y2kgs
Hey Brent, well I didn't start the fight but will end it.
In reality its the person and not always the car but still
hate most of the Bimmer owners for thinking that they are better.
Ha Ha so true though! It's amazing how stuck up and ignorant SOME BMW drivers are - like this 530 driver! I think they truly believe the hype of advertisement "The Ultimate Driving Machine". Puhleeze! A 530 is nice but it is NO V8 HOT ROD! I am a bit embarassed to be associated with these types of characters.

How's your Weapon R/S-AFC mod going? Is it tuned correctly yet? We should call it the Andy special since your the first!
Old 07-25-01, 02:33 PM
LexusPride
Lead Lap

I know what you guys mean, my wife just bought a 330 convertible, and everytime I drive it people want to race me, or give me dirty looks. When we went to the beach the other day, and the icecream man parked right near my car, so when I went up there to get a bottled water there were 2 kids sitting on the trunk, and their mother was right there !! I asked them to please not sit on it (again, it's brand new and cost me $50k) and she calls ME ignorant and stuck up I think when you own a luxury vehicle, you get the people that can't comprehend spending that much for a car, or think that all cars cost the same so they aren't concerned about scratching your car, dinging your door, or "bumping" it to parallel park.
Old 07-25-01, 02:44 PM
y2kgs
Pole Position

Brent
got the Weapon R intake install and well I like it alot. Not as loud as Swift HFI but you can hear the V8 and sounds nice. I am still waiting for the APEXI and once I get it. It will be tune asap. Some of us are going to set up a dyno test and also use the Gtech for numbers. To me numbers are more important and HP gain. Don't always go hand and hand.
More info. will be posted when its all done.
Old 07-25-01, 02:49 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by LexusPride
I know what you guys mean, my wife just bought a 330 convertible, and everytime I drive it people want to race me, or give me dirty looks. When we went to the beach the other day, and the icecream man parked right near my car, so when I went up there to get a bottled water there were 2 kids sitting on the trunk, and their mother was right there !! I asked them to please not sit on it (again, it's brand new and cost me $50k) and she calls ME ignorant and stuck up I think when you own a luxury vehicle, you get the people that can't comprehend spending that much for a car, or think that all cars cost the same so they aren't concerned about scratching your car, dinging your door, or "bumping" it to parallel park.
I know what you mean. I saw one time this hot blonde with her nasty looking BF leaning up against my car making out W T F?

Some people with crappy cars don't understand how we love our GS's. Some people doesn't know how hard it is to keep a car in great condition (body wise). When they see a clean GS, they have no idea how much TLC goes into it.
Old 07-25-01, 03:37 PM
LexusLady
Pole Position

.......but still hate most of the Bimmer owners for thinking that they are better.
How unfortunate for you, you're missing out on making some great friends!

I think they truly believe the hype of advertisement "The Ultimate Driving Machine". Puhleeze!
You are kidding, right - How many have you owned???

C.
Old 07-25-01, 03:38 PM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by LexusPride
Dude,
that is just plain rude. I don't care how crappy the car is, you don't sit on someone else's property. If she called you ignorant than you should have told her that she has bad manners and she is an unfit mother because she didn't train her kids how to respect other people's property. Sorry, that story just pisses me off.

Brent
Old 07-27-01, 10:40 AM
JPritch
Rookie

<<In reality its the person and not always the car but still hate most of the Bimmer owners for thinking that they are better.>>

Sorry to stereotype here, but I agree with all of you who feel the above statement is true. I see it first hand all the time in my area, snooty preps fresh out of school sporting their UVA stickers and racing around town in their seriously overpriced and underperforming 3 series'.

Isn't the 318 ugly as hell??

Just proves my theory, people that don't really have it-flaunt it. Those that know they got the goods-know it-and thus have no need to flaunt it unless challenged.

Later!
Old 07-27-01, 11:46 AM
daku
Driver School Candidate

Default How did UVA get dragged into this???

Originally posted by JPritch
Sorry to stereotype here, but I have to agree with those of you who find the above statement true. I see it all the time in my area, snooty little preps straight out of college, sporting their UVA stickers and racing around town in their overpriced and underperforming 3 series'.

They continue to prove my theory that those who don't really have it-flaunt it, while those that know they got the goods-know it-and don't flaunt it unless challenged.

Later!

I can't believe there's UVA " playa hatin' " going on here...

UVA Undergrad - #1 Public School in the Nation, #18 Overall School in the Nation
UVA Business (Darden) - #9 in the Nation
UVA Commerce (McIntyre) - #5 in the Nation

UVA Law is one hellUVA school too as is UVA Med. UVA Architecture is top 10, also.

B.S., UVA, 19naughty7

I think that those rankings are current and am pretty sure that they were correct while I was there. The point is that if you graduated from UVA , then chances are high that you "have it", especially when one considers that the recognized experts say there is no better public school and only 17 schools are recognized to be better in general. Do I still count as a "snooty little prep" because I drive a Lexus? Or am I more of a "snooty little prep" because I could have purchased close to 2 318s for the price of my GS4?

To the entire CL forum, please don't consider this "snobbery" as it is not meant to be. This is more a defensive response to an attack on something near and dear to me (my alma mater). I have posted a couple of questions on this forum and have tried to do so with the utmost of humility. If my questions were construed as either ignorant or arrogant, let me be the first to apologize.

Sorry that this has jack s*%t to do with the original theme of the thread and for its length. However, to label me as a "snooty little prep" though you haven't even met me (or countless other of my UVA brethren) is wrong (yes, I did want to use another phrase). All attempts (except rereading this...)have been made in an effort not to insult anyone...
Old 07-27-01, 11:56 AM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: How did UVA get dragged into this???

Originally posted by daku

I can't believe there's UVA " playa hatin' " going on here...

UVA Undergrad - #1 Public School in the Nation, #18 Overall School in the Nation
UVA Business (Darden) - #9 in the Nation
UVA Commerce (McIntyre) - #5 in the Nation

UVA Law is one hellUVA school too as is UVA Med. UVA Architecture is top 10, also.

B.S., UVA, 19naughty7

I think that those rankings are current and am pretty sure that they were correct while I was there. The point is that if you graduated from UVA , then chances are high that you "have it", especially when one considers that the recognized experts say there is no better public school and only 17 schools are recognized to be better in general. Do I still count as a "snooty little prep" because I drive a Lexus? Or am I more of a "snooty little prep" because I could have purchased close to 2 318s for the price of my GS4?

To the entire CL forum, please don't consider this "snobbery" as it is not meant to be. This is more a defensive response to an attack on something near and dear to me (my alma mater). I have posted a couple of questions on this forum and have tried to do so with the utmost of humility. If my questions were construed as either ignorant or arrogant, let me be the first to apologize.

Sorry that this has jack s*%t to do with the original theme of the thread and for its length. However, to label me as a "snooty little prep" though you haven't even met me (or countless other of my UVA brethren) is wrong (yes, I did want to use another phrase). All attempts (except rereading this...)have been made in an effort not to insult anyone...
Once again people, we need to be more careful what we post lest we offend someone. If you don't care about offending people then this is the kind of response you might get.

OK, now we are totally off topic...

Brent
Old 07-27-01, 12:56 PM
MrHorse
Pole Position

Default Deleting messages..

Jpritch (and everyone else), there is an EDIT/DELETE button on each post. If it's your own, you can delete it. So, a double-post can be remedied easily.
Old 07-27-01, 12:57 PM
CheetahSpeed
Driver School Candidate

Default No contest.

I've owned both and there's a reason I have a GS now!
Old 07-27-01, 01:51 PM
JPritch
Rookie

Daku,

Check your PM box. Hopefully that will clear everything up.

Again, no offense towards UVA was intended.
Old 07-29-01, 08:32 PM
daku
Driver School Candidate

Default my bad...

Wassup People...

just a quick apology for taking this discussion WAY off the beaten path...

My bad

JPritch, I got your PM and replied too.
Old 07-31-01, 04:25 AM
Ira Senoff
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only reason BMW released the new M5 was because they no longer held the title of "fastest 4 door" once the GS 400/430 was released in 1998. Of course, it costs $30,000 more than a GS 400/430, but now they hold the title. I would like to see what would happen if Lexus went nuts and created a Sport version of the 430 to combat the M5.

The 530 is a nice car - if you can't afford the 540. But it certainly is not in the same class, performance wise, as the GS 400/430. Personally, I don't think the interior of the BWM is up to par either (but I do love the exterior). Even the 540 can't truly hang with a GS 400/430, hence the creation of the M5.

Just remember the ad campaign slogan that BMW rejected when they released the new 530.

"BMW 530, the poor man's 5 series."

Quick Reply: BMW 530 vs GS400 ??????