GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

BMW 530 vs GS400 ??????

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-01, 08:56 AM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually, BMW has an entry-level 5 series with the 2.5 L I6 engine. So technically, it should be...

"BMW 525, the poor man's 5 series"...

Brent
Old 07-31-01, 02:34 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

of course Lexus can make a super-high-performancesedan, a tuned GS430 that has 430hp and can do 0-60 and everything else faster than M5. But the cost would be another 15k or so more. Anyone can make a faster car with more money. It's the quality and refinement that's irreplaceable.

I also notice something about people getting the bottomline cars of the high-class manufacturers. Someone can get a GS300 with alot of options can only get a 330i base model, just because it's a BMW not a japanese car. 3 series is a whole class lower, and I believe it's really stupid to get the base model just because of the brand, unless that person is looking for the handling and acceleration of the 330i. But I see alot of older moms and older folks driving the 330i, and those are DEFINITELY not the people who needs the handling............ so I think the whole BUYING THE NAME thing is gay. just my 2 cents.

Like many have said.......... Why would I get a poor man's BMW or Benz when I can get a better LEXUS?
Old 07-31-01, 03:13 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RAY,

you just realized that "base greman car" scene after all these years in s.cal? JK.

some are actually just buying the "image/brand", so that when people ask, they can hold their head up and say : Yah, i drive one of the 2 bs. many do not even know the diff between a frd and a rwd car....that is ....sigh

will
Old 07-31-01, 05:41 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

hahhah, funny you should mentioned it Globe + William. The other weekend I was in a club when I struck up a conversation with 3 women in the VIP room and one guy with them was yapping about his BMW. Then they asked me what do I drive. hehhe I told them at first a Lexus. They were like thats nice. They asked me which one, I told them a "GS400". All the women loved GS's , now the guy that was with them got jealous I think and start saying his BMW has superb handling and was "MAJOR" fast. I asked him what kind and at first he didn't want to say but (here's the funny part), his girlfriend yelled OUT LOUD "He has a 318i". I guess she didn't know anything about cars and she said it like she was proud.

hhahah, the guy's face turned red and he gave her an evil eye look.

Old 07-31-01, 07:06 PM
JPritch
Rookie

Thumbs down

I asked him what kind and at first he didn't want to say but (here's the funny part), his girlfriend yelled OUT LOUD "He has a 318i". I guess she didn't know anything about cars and she said it like she was proud.
The 318i...what a fugly car!

It shouldn't even be considered a BMW, now that's pretty bad.
Old 07-31-01, 09:27 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,429 Likes on 1,592 Posts

Guys, I have certainly seen a MUCH higher percentage of egotistical, arrogant, and aggressive jerks driving BMWs than any other type of car. BUT, that doesn't mean we should write off ALL people who drive BMWs, or ALL BMW cars.

It's true that BMW, like all car companies, uses it's 'prestige' models to lead with, and offers lower end models to get people into the brand. A BMW 318i is fun to drive, but it's certainly not a luxury car.

And whoever said BMW came out with an M5 only to trump the GS400/430 doesn't know what they're talking about. BMW has a LONG history of M versions of all their cars.

And if you haven't driven a BMW, don't knock them.

As far as the 'ultimate driving machine' - I believe that's actually true - that they offer the BEST *driving* experience with a STOCK car of any brand. There's other factors that come into play for most buyers though, and that's why they don't win all the sales of course. They rely on the performance/handling edge to hide some of their weaker aspects, like ergonomics and driver electronics.

Once again guys, you may get grins making fun of BMW cars and drivers, but don't blow it out of proportion - or stoop to the same behavior we see by some insecure BMW owners. Let's rise above that and if we see a BMW owner who insults our Lexus, just say to them, well your car is cool, and I like mine.
Old 07-31-01, 09:54 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bit has made some valid points. imo, i do think bmw are not that bad. i sure enjoy the driving element when i owned my 740s. but, the dealers attitude, reliablity, and high prices are just something hard to swallow.

may be it is the bmw crowd that i know(try not to stereo type here), whenever people(friends or not) heard that i am a die-hard lex fan, esp. the GS, 7/10 times they would ask me: you ever consider the beemers? they are much better handling car. what is even funnier to me is that i actually had the chance to rescue 3/ those 7 who raise the point.

D-man,

your story is quite amusing.

i remember i had this double date with my babe and her girl friend w/this guy who drives nothing but beemers. naturally, our conversation circled around cars. but the guy kept on insist how his 540 could outhandle mine. being a polite person as i am, i natually try to explain my bad exp w/the 740. however, his date apparantly like the GS better for whatever reason as she kept on asking my babe about i ever let her drive my car, and bunch of other stuff about lex.

after the dinner we decided to go clubbing. i think she might had a bit too much to drink during dinner. while we were deciding which car to take, the girl simply shouted out in the parking lot: " let's take the william's GS. your 540 has too much rattle and squeaks that was giving me a headache.

all i could do was stood there and smile at the dude...there was nothing my could to do calm down the drunken gs loving gal....

william
Old 07-31-01, 10:24 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

JPritch: 318ti is the UGLIEST hatch. But 318i isn't any better

D-Man: hahahahahahahaha oh man, so dope!

Bit and Will: Seriously I don't think BMWs are bad either. It's true they do give very nice handling in stock form, and at least some of their cars are nice looking. Like Will, it's gotta be the BMW crowd that I know, most of them are arrogant and thinks they're the ***** because they drive one of the 2-Bs

Or it could be the BMW crowd we see online, the crowd that constantly offends other cars like Lexus and Mercedes, and thinks their 318ti can outperform a GS400.
Old 08-01-01, 05:22 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by gs4will
:

, the girl simply shouted out in the parking lot: " let's take the william's GS. your 540 has too much rattle and squeaks that was giving me a headache.

william
hahhaha , I thought my story was amusing, but this one takes the cake

Old 08-01-01, 10:15 PM
-Lexus-GS400-
Rookie

Thanks for everybodies input....
Sorry their is so many BMW haters out their.....
Old 08-02-01, 12:44 PM
xshadowz

Exclamation

Let me point out one thing about BMW.... taken straight from bmwusa.com

---Standard Audio on the new M3---

AM/FM stereo/cassette audio system
OPTIONAL cd-player: $200

what the hell is BMW thinking?!! such a freakin insult if your buying a $50k+ ride!!!!
Old 08-02-01, 01:58 PM
AC's TL/540i
Driver School Candidate

First of all, the guy in the 530i is a damn idiot. Second, he makes us Bimmer owners look worse than we are . Third, you'll spank the living **** out of him.

A 530i shouldn't come close to matching with a GS4, the 540i is more of a equivalent match. As I stated in the past, I love going head to head with GS4 owners cuz our results are always back and forth and never one sided. Yet at the end we always give each other props.

It is my experience driving both the 530i SP, and the GS300, NO WAY a GS can beat a 530 in any aspect. I'll leave it at that.

Next time you see the 530i owner, slap him and say "that's from a 540i owner, he wanted me to give you a message"
Old 08-02-01, 02:09 PM
AC's TL/540i
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by Ira Senoff
The only reason BMW released the new M5 was because they no longer held the title of "fastest 4 door" once the GS 400/430 was released in 1998. Of course, it costs $30,000 more than a GS 400/430, but now they hold the title. I would like to see what would happen if Lexus went nuts and created a Sport version of the 430 to combat the M5.

Correction, the last time I checked i think there was the 540i 6spd, M5, E55, Jag XJR, all sedans.
As far as the "fastests" between the GS and a 540iA, I guess it all depends on who you ask. Frankly, I know the GS430 is a fast car and I highly admire them, especially the LTuned (what a nice looking ride), I admit, there are times I lose to a GS430, but there are also times I win. So it all depends.

I'm truly looking forward to the next gen 5 Series and GS. I believe Lexus put a lot of pressure with the GS400/430 sine BMW "owned " that space at one point. I read that the new 5's will have the 340HP engine so that'll be pretty interesting. The fact is, I know Lexus can pump out more that 300HP out of a 4.3L engine so I'm psyched to see what we'll see next.

Enjoy the ride!