GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Photegenic GS? Good side & bad side?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-01, 05:56 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are people that are photogenic and then there are cars that are photogenic too. And when I say photogenic, I'm talking about they look good no matter what view you see them from.

Most times I look at my GS from all different angles and it's just a sweet looking car. So I would have to deduct that the GS is somewhat photogenic.

Other times I look at it, say through a camera, and it just looks fat or bloated. Almost like I am looking at it from it's bad side. It's like the ugly side. This hits me for a little bit and then eventually goes away. Maybe it's due to the unusual shape of the car.

Am I going crazy or what? This may sound like I am crazy, but you can really see this effect when you are trying to take a picture of your car and see the results.

OK, I am crazy. But there are good views and bad views of our GSs as well as any car I guess.

Just venting for now.

Old 07-25-01, 05:59 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

I agree. I think part of the problem is lens distortion, because there's no question the GS is a great looking car, but I also have had a hard time getting good shots.

Try this angle though (I'm kinda proud of this shot!):

Old 07-25-01, 06:41 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Bitkahuna,

That is a great angle shot. Beautiful car. Just makes you smile knowing you own it. But I do understand what you are saying about the camera lens distortion.

See you on the TL boards too. I see you there (acuraguynj) here. It seems there is always more action on those boards then here. Former TL owner here that is why.
Old 07-25-01, 07:39 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by lexguynj
That is a great angle shot. Beautiful car. Just makes you smile knowing you own it. ...

See you on the TL boards too. I see you there (acuraguynj) here. ...
Thanks. Not me on TL boards, sorry. Only other place I go is a few boards on Edmund's Townhall.
Old 07-25-01, 07:57 PM
Bobcat
Pole Position

very interesting comments ....

I disagree in a way. I actually think that from certain angles the GS is sorta ugly. The camera has nothing to do with it. Bit's angle makes our cars look awesome. But a totally side view sometimes makes the front end look sawed off with a fat bloated rear end. It's part of the mystique of owning one ... one minute it's beautiful and another its just strange looking.
Old 07-25-01, 07:59 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Bobcat
very interesting comments ....

I disagree in a way. I actually think that from certain angles the GS is sorta ugly. The camera has nothing to do with it. Bit's angle makes our cars look awesome. But a totally side view sometimes makes the front end look sawed off with a fat bloated rear end. It's part of the mystique of owning one ... one minute it's beautiful and another its just strange looking.
Bobcat, those were the words I were looking for. Sometimes, just wacky!
Old 07-25-01, 08:03 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

I totally agree, from full side view the GS looks weird . Also from an angle from the back view is also weird. The BEST shot IMO is bit's car where you take a shot from the front at an angle either from the left or right with the front rims slightly turned inward.
Old 07-25-01, 08:19 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by DIESELMAN63
I totally agree, from full side view the GS looks weird . Also from an angle from the back view is also weird. The BEST shot IMO is bit's car where you take a shot from the front at an angle either from the left or right with the front rims slightly turned inward.

I think that is the key, the shot from the front is actually the best part about this car and getting a glimpse of the rim. The Front looks the best with those 4 headlamps. I do have to agree, that the side shot is just weird at times and the back is a love / hate relationship.

Even with all this, doesn't matter to me, love this car as if it were a supermodel!
Old 07-25-01, 08:36 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Side shot is wacky??? I think one of the keys is getting down low to take the shot.

Old 07-25-01, 08:38 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by bitkahuna
Side shot is wacky??? I think one of the keys is getting down low to take the shot.

That's sweet. However you are right, if you took that pic from a higher angle, you would see the wackiness a little. Just something that seems off. Look at me getting all picky already. Like arranging furniture in a room!
Old 07-26-01, 06:34 AM
BBD
....BANNED! :-)

lexguynj, hey man are you running a tempreture ??????????????????

u loosing it man stay with me, hey man ? u hear me ohh no we lost him
Old 07-26-01, 09:34 AM
gsnav
Lead Lap

I also have to say the person who takes the shot also decides how the pictures is taken is very important. It depends on the aperature you want, like if you want limited depth of field or maximum depth of field. Like how to place the car according to the objects around it. Depending on black/white or color film, it really depends on what time of day you want to take a picture. So actually, there are some angles that the GS doesn't look good in. Also, depending on the body kit too the angles are different. One can get really picky, as in give limited depth of field if there are cars in background so you can not see them and will not give attention to the viewer. Sorry, i'm actually more picky now that i'm a lot more serious about photography and printing.

GsNav@clublexus.com
Old 07-26-01, 04:10 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

So people, whats the best distance in taking the picture? Best time of day? How low level with the car do you have to go?

Now I am getting picky?!
Old 07-26-01, 04:29 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its nice around 2-5 and shoot with the sun behind you

the car should take up about 3/4 of the frame horazontalizy and it works out how it works out for height, but thats teh basic kind of pic... theres tons of different angels and stuff...
Old 07-26-01, 04:42 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by DIESELMAN63
So people, whats the best distance in taking the picture? Best time of day? How low level with the car do you have to go?
Distance, depends on the type of shot.

Time of day: sunrise or sunset.

How low: depends on the shot again, but i figure viewfinder around the 'belt line' of the (bottom of door glass).