GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Driver side speaker sometimes on and off

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-05, 02:36 PM
Prost
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Driver side speaker sometimes on and off

Does anyone experience similar problem? I have had that problem couple years ago when the car still has factory warranty and the dealer change the speakers for me, however the same problem reoccur again lately. This problem seems to be most noticeable when I am listening to AM radio, when the driver side speaker is off, a sudden cranking up the volume will "pop" the speaker on again, however, there will always be some "buzzing" sound associate with it. Anyone have this problem? When I bought the car to dealership the check last time, the problem didn’t occur so that they didn't do anything and thought that I was just "playing" with them. I have 100K warranty and the car is currently at 90K, I was hoping that someone might experience similar problem on their GS so that I can ask them to check from there. Would a new speaker solve this problem?

Sorry for my bad English and thanks in advance!
Old 11-10-05, 09:17 AM
AUGuy21
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re:

I sometimes have the same problem with my passenger side tweeter. I hear intermittent static when listening to CD's. It doesn't happen all that much, but I know it must be a bad connection or the tweeter is going out. I usually giggle the grommet thing that covers the wiring from the door to the front pillar. I don't know if that helps but the static usually stops after a few secs. I also notice the passenger side tweeter and speaker sometimes cut out when I'm listening to my Sirius through the FM Modulator. I'm not sure if this happens due to speaker problems or FM Mod complications...

I don't think Lexus dealerships have any expertise to fix this problem. I would advise looking into it yourself or taking your car to a knowledgable audio shop.
Old 11-10-05, 11:16 AM
house66
Rookie

Hi,
I see that your car has navigation, as you know navigation takes of the driver side speaker when you are using the routing function. When you experience the problem are you using the routing function? It could be that nav is trying to take over the speaker but you have the navigation volume turned down. Just a thought.....

J
Old 11-10-05, 12:19 PM
Prost
Rookie

No, I am not using the Navigation at the time when it happen. Usually when this is happening, even if I was using Navigation, I can still here and voice command from the Navigation system. I was thinking this is probably from the driver side tweeter too. Also, the problem tend to be occour more often at warm/hot weather. Last time when I bought my car to the dealer for this problem, they did said that the wire connect to the speaker was loose and they just reattach it. The problem did go away for 2 to 3 weeks but came back afterward. Since I have extended warrantry, I did ask them to replace the speaker(s) but they refuse to do so since the problem didn't occour when the technician test drove with me. Are there anything that I can do? This kind of problem can sometimes be not showing when I drive the car to dealership, but reoccour right after I left I think I will bring in my car to the dealership again. Other suggesstions?
Old 11-11-05, 05:50 AM
Ronsully
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Prost
No, I am not using the Navigation at the time when it happen. Usually when this is happening, even if I was using Navigation, I can still here and voice command from the Navigation system. I was thinking this is probably from the driver side tweeter too. Also, the problem tend to be occour more often at warm/hot weather. Last time when I bought my car to the dealer for this problem, they did said that the wire connect to the speaker was loose and they just reattach it. The problem did go away for 2 to 3 weeks but came back afterward. Since I have extended warrantry, I did ask them to replace the speaker(s) but they refuse to do so since the problem didn't occour when the technician test drove with me. Are there anything that I can do? This kind of problem can sometimes be not showing when I drive the car to dealership, but reoccour right after I left I think I will bring in my car to the dealership again. Other suggesstions?

Tell them to resolder the connection