GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Remove Mufflers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-05 | 08:38 PM
nicola
Driver

Default Remove Mufflers?

I have a set of Borla tips on my stock mufflers, but have been looking into using Magnaflows and having the tips re-welded onto those. This makes me wonder though - is anyone running without the rear mufflers and just tips? I've seen some threads of LS guys doing this and they seem to like the sound, as a lot of the loudness is taken care of by the resonators futher up. I'd like a much louder exhaust sound of my GS4.
Old 11-15-05 | 08:44 PM
mikal
Lexus Champion

I think it's gonna be really loud without the mufflers. Even with a resonator, you dont have anything else to muffle the sound.
Old 11-15-05 | 08:47 PM
nicola
Driver

Originally Posted by mikal
I think it's gonna be really loud without the mufflers. Even with a resonator, you dont have anything else to muffle the sound.
I thought the same, but I read a lot of posts in the LS forums, and everyone says it's not overly loud or obnoxious. I don't know how similar the LS motor/exhaust setup is to the GS4 though.

Some info:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...muffler+delete
Old 11-15-05 | 08:53 PM
mikal
Lexus Champion

Why dont you just unbolt your mufflers and see how they sound. If you like it, then get the pipes extended and weld on the tips.
Old 11-15-05 | 08:57 PM
nicola
Driver

Why dont you just unbolt your mufflers and see how they sound. If you like it, then get the pipes extended and weld on the tips.
I probably will if I don't get any responses here.
Old 11-16-05 | 06:35 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

I would think with no mufflers performance would suffer because of NO backpressure. you need some backpressure for low end performance. also, it would probably sound very raspy and pop and make wierd sounds, especially when you let off the gas at high rpm.
Old 11-16-05 | 08:36 AM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic
CL Folding 10,000

if anything add another resonator or a glasspack muffler like the FlowTech Red Hots Mufflers (their $17.95 each) and weld the tips to it.

www.summitracing.com and do a search for FlowTech Red Hots Mufflers or here's the part number - BIG-50251FLT

Last edited by GSoup; 11-16-05 at 08:42 AM.
Old 11-16-05 | 08:50 AM
Lvangundy

Backpressure isn't needed for low end performance..

Read up on Jbrady's posts about exhaust dynamics for more info. I'm not an exhaust gas flow expert (far from it) but Jbrady seems to have A TON of knowledge on gas flow.

Originally Posted by chuckb
I would think with no mufflers performance would suffer because of NO backpressure. you need some backpressure for low end performance. also, it would probably sound very raspy and pop and make wierd sounds, especially when you let off the gas at high rpm.
Old 11-16-05 | 09:12 AM
nicola
Driver

Originally Posted by Lvangundy
Backpressure isn't needed for low end performance..

Read up on Jbrady's posts about exhaust dynamics for more info. I'm not an exhaust gas flow expert (far from it) but Jbrady seems to have A TON of knowledge on gas flow.
Yea, its a myth from a lot of mis-informed people.
Old 11-16-05 | 10:29 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by nicola
Yea, its a myth from a lot of mis-informed people.
yah, ok.

then why doesn't everything just have wide open 4inch exhaust? believe me, back pressure is directly related to low end power. that is why aftermarket exhausts can move your powerband around.
Old 11-16-05 | 10:40 AM
mikal
Lexus Champion

Chuck B, this is why.

Originally Posted by Jbrady
NOW... PLEASE... ONE MORE TIME... to other peoples posts in this thread... engines do NOT need or want backpressure. This is an incorrect assumption made by people with partial information. It has been said so many times that many people just assume it to be correct. The PROBLEM is that large pipes LOWER velocity. It is the loss of velocity that hurts low RPM power. The solution is to build the best flowing lowest restriction system from the smallest diameter pipes cabable of supporting the high RPM power output of the engine. This is why I recommend 2.25" pipes and not 2.50" pipes. So please, everyone, stop saying an engine needs exhaust backpressure.
Old 11-16-05 | 11:11 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Chuck B, this is why.
cant get anymore realer than that
if anything add another resonator or a glasspack muffler like the FlowTech Red Hots Mufflers (their $17.95 each) and weld the tips to it.

hey carlos what exactly is a glasspack muffler?
Old 11-16-05 | 11:18 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Chuck B, this is why.
ok. I understand what he's saying. so what many people have referred to as back pressure for years, is called velocity. so an engine needs highest velocity possible. so, big hollow pipes or no mufflers reduce velocity/scavenging and power.

I still think it's just different wording for the same theory.
Old 11-16-05 | 11:29 AM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic
CL Folding 10,000

Originally Posted by sha4000
cant get anymore realer than that

hey carlos what exactly is a glasspack muffler?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glasspack
Old 11-16-05 | 11:56 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GSoup
ok i got that

Quick Reply: Remove Mufflers?