GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

New member - Manaray Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-01, 04:30 PM
hg713
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am new to this forum as I just recently purchased a 2001 GS300 (Nav+ML) acouple of weeks ago. I found this forum to be very helpful in my research for a new set of wheels. For those of you that were interested in the Manaray Quest (Group Buy from May/June), I found that David at gtautosports provided the best price on the web. I was quoted $770 plus shipping for set of silvers in 18x8.5. According to David, these wheels are designed in Japan but manufactured in Taiwan under the designer's/Japanese standards and specifications. The ETA for the Quests is late August, early September.

I realize that some of you may not personally buy this wheel, but I weighed the pros and cons for this purchase and realized that my primary objective was to replace the undersized stock 16" wheels with an attractive good quailty 18" wheels without spending more than $350 per rim. I personal believe that the Quest met my primary objective and represented a very good value.
Old 07-27-01, 04:34 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

hg713,

Could you post a pic of the wheel??

Thanks in advance and WELCOME TO CLUB LEXUS!
Old 07-27-01, 04:42 PM
hg713
Driver School Candidate

2SAVVY,

Pictures can be found on www.aktusa.com. I also attached a picture with reply.
Attached Images  
Old 07-27-01, 04:46 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

H,

first, welcome and congrats on your new gs430.

though manufactured in Taiwan, Manaray wheels has long enjoyed positive reputation from car dudes like us ever where. the Quest model is actually, imo, ver nice looking. since all manaray wheels have to pass strict JIC safety standard, their quality is an assurance. for the price, good look, you shoudl show us some pics in the future.

Dave has good prices. it's just that sometimes waiting for response from him takes a little patience.

savvy,

the manaray quest looks similar to blitz type 03 as you seen on y2kgs' blk gs. except the quest is a one-piece. the finish is very nice like some high-end wheels.
Old 07-27-01, 04:48 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

H,

oops, sorry for the wrong car model ML+NAV nice pkg.

i was thinking about my own gs430 now that my cousin brought my gs400.

will
Old 07-27-01, 05:00 PM
hg713
Driver School Candidate

Will,

Thanks. I wanted a GS430 with NAV+ML, but none were available. Dealer made a really good deal, IMO, of $42.5k on my black/tan GS300.
Old 07-27-01, 05:02 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

2 thumbs up from me for the wheel choice hg713.. I think it looks nice and since Will says the quality is top notch then all the better..

Like he said post pics when you get them..

Hey Will my wife got her promotion so she will be buying out the GS when my lease is up, got any ideas for me as to what 18" wheel I should buy for her.. Gonna be a nice guy and get them for her for her B-day next year.. Its gotta be chrome or diamond cut finish (Staggered setup since i'll drive the GS on occasion) and the budget for this is $3,000 - $3,500 USD with tires.. Your help would be most appreciated!

BTW how much do you think I can sell those 17" chrome factory wheels for??
Old 07-27-01, 05:20 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb my humble thoughts

Savvy,

congrats to you and the MRS. on keeping the GS in the family. to me, this basically means another toy for the big-boy(that is how i see it)

let's see: DISH, SPOKE(thick/thin), or MESH, which do you/mrs. like?
take a look at www.gtautosports.com site, and give me few examples please. that way i know what is more your taste, and can give you more suggestions.

i guess LD1s are out because your SC would be gracing them.

most renowned japanese brands/models in 18s staggered + tyres are right within your budget, so this is not an issue. i like the HREs too, but the price is more than i can digest.

i currently have my eyes on several 3-piece forged rims from japan for about the price you mentioned. and i will be at the book store next week to see if there is any latest wheels from japan that just came out.

for the 17" chromes, used but in good shape ~$6-800.
new ones ~$1k-1100.

Hg,

the price you paid for the gs300 is very good.

will
Old 07-27-01, 06:02 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Ok Will,

Little woman likes the Altstadt IV.. I'm still on the fence myself but its gonna be her baby soon so if she likes then and if the price is right then i'll get them for her..

So my question is can I get these as a staggered setup(8.5 / 9.5) and if so what tire size should I be looking at.. My guess is:

Front 245/35/18
Rear 275/30/18

Or am I wrong..

How is the quality of these rims.. I really like the HRE 543 and I think I can talk the wife into these but i'm not sure that would fit in this budget I have set..

For the rubber for sure i'll get the Toyo T1-S unless someone talks me out of them.. BTW you are right its another toy for moi but we'll keep that between us guys..
Wonder if she likes any body kits.. LOL
Old 07-27-01, 08:37 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Savvy,

LOL,...body kits that is a good one..this is like my babe telling me " i need that shoe for the party so that i can look good for you" yah, i need the auto cuture it imported from japan to make my GS look good too.

the material and finish on the HREs are top notch. but i think manaray will "smell" this tread and give his opinions. i am no expert on the hres, so i will leave it along.

Altstadt IV are from good co.in japan. sicne they have been out for a while, the price should be more flexible. if you like them chromed, there might be an option called "super chrome"-very nice.

dave of gtauto is trying to quote me some wheels from japan, i will ask him about the prices.

tyres: 245/40/18 fr 275/35/18rr, get the toyo t1-s, one of the best values for the money.

william
Old 07-27-01, 09:15 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

LOL.. Women and shoes sometimes I think I married Emelda Markos (Probaly spelt wrong but you get the drift).. HEHE..

I think i'll PM Manaray and get his thoughts on the HRE's.. You gotta tell me more about this Super Chrome option on the Alstadt IV.. Thanks for looking into the price for me too..

BTW i've already gotten 4 PM's on the Chrome factory wheels too.. Here is a pic for the guys who are curious how the gold plated "L" looks like on the wheel..

Attached Thumbnails New member - Manaray Wheels-gs-chrome-wheel.jpg  

Last edited by 2SAVVY; 07-27-01 at 09:19 PM.
Old 07-27-01, 09:18 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Default Close up..

Close up pic of "L"
Attached Thumbnails New member - Manaray Wheels-lexus-wheel-symbol.jpg  
Old 07-27-01, 09:39 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

savvy,

17"s in factory chrome are hot commodity on this board. as long they are in decent shape and priced reasonablely, you can sell them in a heart beat.

super chrome, aka "japan chrome" is not as "blindingly shiny" as the US counter parts, but the shine lasts longer too. i will find out the precise info from my wheel bible for you later with the price info from DAVE.

will
Old 07-28-01, 04:51 AM
zushwa
Lead Lap

Strange, my wife likes the Altstadt IV's also???

I got a quote from Dave for ~$2700 for a staggered 19 inch set-up..I think..I have the email saved on a stand alone computer...I'll get it for you to make sure.

Check this out.

http://www.river-side.co.jp

I like the fact that you can get with or without the gold bolts.

Old 07-28-01, 10:25 AM
ealmario
Driver

Default RIMS

hg,

great looking rim. it looks like it has a polished lip. do you have david's info. i have the blitz wheel very similiar to the ones you just purchased but in 17"s and i also just bent the back rim and its non repairable. how much did the tires cost or total package? how long did it take to get to you? can you post a pic of your car with your new wheels?

thanks,
ernie
ealmario@flash.net

Quick Reply: New member - Manaray Wheels